iPhone (verizon) question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by notkodysmith, Aug 18, 2012.

1. notkodysmith macrumors newbie

So I have a question that mabie someone familliar with verizon could answer this question for me.

when I first got verizon in april of 2010, i made the mistake of getting a sony erricson Xperia Play (it was horrible). I was able to upgrade when the iPhone 4s came out because my mother in law wanted to get added to oour plan, but didnt want a smartphone. so i took her upgrade and got the 4s. With the release of the iPhone 5 iminent, my wife is sick of her Droid Incredible 2, and wants an iPhone. what are the chances that Verizon would let me renew my policy early so we can both upgrade to the iPhone 5?

this is my first post, btw, i hope i didnt create any social faux paus.
    thanks!

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

My date for upgrade eligibility is in June, which I think is 4 months before my two years is up. AT&T let me upgrade about every year, but I think that has been limited recently. You'll probably just need to check with Verizon.

3. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

She's probably pretty close to her upgrade date if she got a Droid 2. That said, they won't move her upgrade date at all. It's 20 months from the last upgrade date on the line.

4. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

The chances up them moving the upgrade date more than a couple of weeks is slim at best. With the subsidies they are paying they aren't giving much wiggle room anymore.

5. infinity12402 macrumors member

Unless you call multiple times a week complaining of problems with your phone, I highly doubt they will push it forward that far in advance.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

According to a Customer Service Rep with whom I spoke, one of Apple's provisions in their contract with Verizon states that Verizon cannot move up upgrade dates for major Apple releases. Supposedly this has to do with issues of supply.

I called because my upgrade date is 10/7/12, and it looks like the new phone will be announced on 9/12/12, and probably released a few days later. (This is, of course, all supposition, conjecture, and rumor). I asked if all occurred as rumored, could I move up my upgrade date (about 3 weeks) and the above was explained.

I called 2 more times to see if I could find a more flexible Customer Rep, and I was told the same thing each time. I was also told that if I wanted to buy an Android phone, they would move up my upgrade date, but not for an Apple release.

7. LegacyDroid macrumors newbie

I was told the same thing.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good luck getting verizon to move up your upgrade date.
    They are the greediest and most nickel and dime carrier out there.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Please. You've been on here enough to know that such subjective & inflammatory language does no good. It's like comparing Stalin to Hitler to Bin Laden. They're all pretty horrible; the worst just depends on who you ask. Do we really need to derail another thread to go into the details of why one is worse than another?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree, they're all pretty crappy but I think verizon takes the cake when it comes to greed.

11. TeeRom macrumors member

I'm 99% sure the primary line is able to early upgrade every 12 months and the secondary lines every 20 months.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

99.9% Not.

13. saberahul macrumors 68040

I seriously think that Apple should build a phone that acts like the magic carpet. All my life’s problems will be solved.

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I will not dispute, one way or the other, whether Verizon is THE greediest,etc. carrier as I don't have adequate measures of greed to make a comparison.

Perhaps I am terminally naive, but I was told that this was not Verizon's policy, but required by Apple in the agreement allowing Verizon to sell iPhones. As I mentioned above, this, the greediest of all carriers, does move upgrade dates for Android devices because, unlike Apple, they don't require Verizon to deny moving upgrade dates.

I am the last person to defend Verizon. I reported what I was told. I suppose they all (I spoke to 3 reps) could be lying...I choose to believe their story of Apple's restriction. It is consistent with Apple's past behavior.

15. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Verizon is flexible when it comes to Android phones. They let me upgrade 6 months early (meaning at 14 months) when I asked for the Razr Maxx, but when the iPhone 4 came out, they were strict. I assume they'll be the same for the iPhone 5. Still, it never hurts to give them a call after the announcement on 9/12 and see what they say. You might get a super nice rep.

16. notkodysmith thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the info

Oh whell, looks like ill have to wait for a little bit, but at least i have the 4s to work with. i actually had ATNT for a while which i hated (then GTA while living abroad, i will give you exactly one congratulation if you know what carrier that is) so i got verizon because i was so against atnt. i like the speed and service of verizon, but not the price exactly. and the fact that im loosing my unlimited data.. oh well.

17. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

18. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

AT&T vs. Verizon?

Challenge, accepted ;)

AT&T does often "randomly" move forward upgrade dates for iPhone releases by a few months sometimes. I know they did for the 4 at least, but I've never witnessed it. You have a higher probability of having your upgrade moved up if you are the head line on the account, and the more you pay per month.

AT&T's standard contracts last 24 months, with upgrades being every 24 months.

Verizon's standard contracts last 24 months, with upgrades being every 20 months. If you signed your contract before 1/16/11 (and haven't renewed it since), then you are able to early upgrade for an amount a little higher than the upgrade price after 12 months.

19. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

sat on my upgrade waiting for the new phone. I'll probably buy a 2nd one off contract for my wife and sell my 4s.

I went to verizon when my dumbphone broke and I was 1 week away from my upgrade date. They wouldn't move it. My dumb phone did not work AT ALL and I would be signing up for a way more expensive contract and they STILL wouldn't move it.

I went to a "premium reseller" who moved the date up for me. Long story short we ended up taking back everything to the reseller and getting a refund but the verizon system still reflected the "bumped" up date. That evening we went back to the corporate store and upgraded.

Whatever.

20. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The more I read around the more I'm convinced that with upgrades, fees, etc., it almost 100% depends on who you talk to. The differences in experience in this forum alone is astounding. While some people get great deals left and right, others are left in the cold. Carrier doesn't matter; online, store, or 3rd party doesn't matter.

I'm certain that most things are possible if you get the right person (one who has the knowledge and the willingness to help) on the right day. I say if not, go back another day or head to another store and try, try again.

</my2cents>

21. Applejuiced, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    No need for a challenge bro, just stating an opinion.
    I feel that Verizon nickels and dimes their customers more and obviously Verizon is the more expensive carrier in the US.
    Not talking about upgrade dates only, just general.
    But in the end they're both greedy and try to push their prices as far as they can get away with till the government or customers start getting outraged.

22. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Just busting you bro. Verizon's plans are a tad bid more expensive by $5-10 on average, and yes both are wicked greedy.

23. pblakk macrumors member

I agree, it depends on your persuasion techniques, your history with the carrier, how much you pay, or basic luck even if you're a new customer, etc. Throughout the YEARS of being a Verizon customer, I've had, on a rough estimate, 5-6 early upgrades, on a couple dumb phones a while back, then a few blackberry devices. And...no, they wouldn't budge on the iphone 4s. Not gonna happen, almost definitely not with Verizon IMO.

Quick sidenote in reference to another post, yes Verizon is definitely flexible on Android phones.

24. TeeRom macrumors member

On my plan it is, but that may be because of a corporate discount/benefits.