Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I have used a BB for 2 years and am thinking about moving to the iPhone in March. Tell me can the iPhone sync notes to Entourage or Outlook? I use the BB notes app often and need the notes to sync both ways. Also what are the advantages and disadvantages of each device? My BB has worked well and does not crash. I do not have many problems with it neither. Oftentimes do ppl tell me BB horror stories, but they are worthless to me as my BB does not have the problems often in these stories.

John

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Also what are the advantages and disadvantages of each device?

The question that gets asked a numerous times on this board, and has been answered just as often.

Go to your local carrier shop or Apple Store and play with an iPhone, we don't know your lifestyle or for what purpose you use your phone for, everyone's use case scenario is different and what I find as an advantage, you may find as a disadvantage.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I have used a BB for 2 years and am thinking about moving to the iPhone in March. Tell me can the iPhone sync notes to Entourage or Outlook?

It can, if you have an exchange account to connect the two and sync both with.

Alternately, notes can be synced to iCloud, which is accessible on iOS devices, and on desktops via the web. I can access my notes using the Mac Mail app, but I don't know for sure if it syncs with Outlook as well.

Also what are the advantages and disadvantages of each device? My BB has worked well and does not crash. I do not have many problems with it neither. Oftentimes do ppl tell me BB horror stories, but they are worthless to me as my BB does not have the problems often in these stories.

Your last sentence illustrates why it's hard for us to tell you what's good and bad about the iPhone. We don't know your habits, what you want to do with i, etc.

I can say this much: before my iPhone I had a Blackberry, and I don't miss it, at all. All iPhone models I've owned have been rock solid and have run for weeks without requiring a reboot... not something I could say for the Blackberries I've owned.

Some universal things:

1. If you're really wedded to Blackberry e-mail, you might have a hard time switching over. Inherently, the iPhone does e-mail just as good as a Blackberry, but the interface IS different, and a lot of the same hints are done slightly differently. So, you'll have to learn some iOS habits, and unlearn some Blackberry habits. If you are unwilling to do this, then you shouldn't bother trying to switch.

2. iPhones do web surfing better than Blackberries, because the browser is superior. That's just a fact. The Storm series of phones does come close, but that's really only because they run a browser platform called WebKit, which is an Apple-developed, open-source framework (and also used by Android, Google Chrome and WebOS). Until all Blackberries move to WebKit-based browsers, their web browsers are gonna suck.

3. You can and should search the iTunes app store for apps that replace what you are doing with apps on your Blackberry. This shouldn't be hard, because there are way more iOS apps than there are BBOS apps.

Don't buy the common refrain from Blackberry diehards: "sure, there's 9023190312890231890231 Fart apps, but I need REAL software." There is real, quality software on the iTunes App Store meant to do actual work, and they work well. Most of the mobile apps tend to come to iOS first... then they show up on Android, and then they'll end up last on Blackberry, if at all. And yeah there's lots of fart apps, but that doesn't mean you actually have to install any of them.

4. Don't also buy the security myth. Blackberries offer a secure platform, but that doesn't mean iPhones are insecure. Using TLS encryption, you can get just as secure with your mail as you can on a Blackberry. What's more, you can use IPSec VPN services to secure ALL your data traffic.

iPhones also have an advantage in that they don't rely on Apple's network for everything data related. When RIM's network goes down, as it seems to do now and then, every Blackberry everywhere is downgraded to dumbphone status. On the other hand, if iCloud were to go offline, it might be inconvenient for iCloud-specific operations, but you could still surf the web, access your work e-mail/contacts/calendars, and use your apps. And if you've elected to not use iCloud at all, then you might never even notice if there were a problem with it.

5. Go to an Apple store, or to your carrier's store, and look for a display model. USE it. Browse some web pages, check out some of the demo apps, look at the calendar and email clients. Are they working in ways you'd like, and ways that you think would be useful to you? If so, buy one! If not, then stick with your Blackberry.

Last edited:

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Recently switched from a Blackberry Curve to a 4S. I am loving life. Can't truly tell you how awesome this phone is.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Do a sync to Outlook using the RIM desktop manger. It will capture all your info including notes. Then use iTunes to sync your iPhone to your new phone.

I had used Blackberrys for years and years, all the way back to the 950 days when a RIM device was just an alpha/numeric pager. I left because the hardware has really taken a hit. I also fear that RIM will be selling out before the end of this year.

I use both Apple and Android now. Soon will try the Ace with Mango.

Enjoy

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Recently switched from a Blackberry Curve to a 4S. I am loving life. Can't truly tell you how awesome this phone is.

I may do the same in March. However the latest BB Curve has features not found in any iPhone such as WIFI calling, and a built in radio tuner.

----------

Do a sync to Outlook using the RIM desktop manger. It will capture all your info including notes. Then use iTunes to sync your iPhone to your new phone.

I had used Blackberrys for years and years, all the way back to the 950 days when a RIM device was just an alpha/numeric pager. I left because the hardware has really taken a hit. I also fear that RIM will be selling out before the end of this year.

I use both Apple and Android now. Soon will try the Ace with Mango.

Enjoy

Really? Where did you learn this? If so then I may go to the iphone.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
Really? Where did you learn this? If so then I may go to the iphone.

I would contest a need for a radio tuner. While it's great, music is simply a click away. Whether you're using Spotify, iHeartRadio, or Pandora, or your iTunes songs, you have music at your fingertips. My favorite local stations are streamed over iHR but I also have found some great genre-based stations on Pandora and I'm actually listening to that more than regular FM radio.

As for wifi calling, why would you want this? To save minutes? I suppose you could use Skype Voice Calling to another Skype person?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Also what are the advantages and disadvantages of each device?
Completely subjective. Approaching it the other way would be more productive. What are your needs/wants? How would you prioritize them? You mention WiFi calling and radio in a later post -- are these must haves or are they gravy?

It's like shopping for anything else, really. Make a list. Find what suits you best. Don't aimlessly look at the options without good idea of what you're looking for or else you'll very quickly end up nowhere.

My BB has worked well and does not crash. I do not have many problems with it neither. Oftentimes do ppl tell me BB horror stories, but they are worthless to me as my BB does not have the problems often in these stories.
...and that's a great example of why your question is impossible to answer. What you experienced isn't unique to BB's at all. Not specifically crashing or not crashing but what you perceived as an advantage on the BB, others did not.

FWIW, my BB's (7 different models) were all rock solid but I wouldn't go back to them for the typical BB criticisms.

It can, if you have an exchange account to connect the two and sync both with.
IIRC it needs to be Exchange 2010. I'm on 2007 and notes do not sync.

Inherently, the iPhone does e-mail just as good as a Blackberry
Better in one way, actually. Even on BES BB email is push and reconcile. ActiveSync offers true sync.

Worse in one way in that BIS can automatically adjust polling intervals for pull accounts without impacting the device's battery life, giving pull accounts faster delivery than fixed polling intervals. This BB feature, however, is a double-edged sword. Ask any BIS user about BIS outages.

iPhones also have an advantage in that they don't rely on Apple's network for everything data related. When RIM's network goes down, as it seems to do now and then, every Blackberry everywhere is downgraded to dumbphone status.
Depends on the outage. BIS outages seemed more common and did not affect BES. That said, there have been RIM outages that affect everything (including BES) as well.

Last edited:

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Completely subjective. Approaching it the other way would be more productive. What are your top priorities/needs/wants?

...and that's a great example of why your question is impossible to answer. What you experienced isn't unique to BB's at all. Not specifically crashing or not crashing but what you perceived as an advantage on the BB, others did not.

My BB's (7 different models) were all rock solid but I wouldn't go back to them for the typical BB criticisms.

IIRC it needs to be Exchange 2010. I'm on 2007 and notes do not sync.

Better in one way, actually. Even on BES BB email is push and reconcile. With ActiveSync you can have true sync.

Worse in one way in that BIS can automatically adjust polling intervals for pull accounts without impacting the device's battery life, giving pull accounts faster delivery than fixed polling intervals. This BB feature, however, is a double-edged sword. Ask any BIS user about BIS outages.

Depends on the outage. BIS outages seemed more common and did not affect BES. That said, there have been RIM outages that affect everything (including BES) as well.

I had BIS set up on my BB 8830 with my gmail account. It would hit gmail's server about every 5 seconds to "poll then push" my email to my BB. There was some password mixup and I got locked out of my gmail account for 72 hours AFTER I shut down BIS so it would stop logging in with the bad password.

On my iPhone 4, I've found battery life suffered greatly when I allowed my company "push" email to run as push. When I set it to fetch 30 minutes and leave my personal email on push, my battery life became normal again.

I'm SO much happier with my iPhone than I ever was with my BB and I wish I'd switched sooner. Sorry I don't use Outlook so I can't help with that aspect but I find iCloud to be flawless. When I bought an iPad, my contacts were on the thing before I left the Apple store. 6 months later when I bought my iPhone 4, the same was true. My contacts were on my iPhone before leaving the store and this wasn't via one of those lame cable contraptions. This was using iCloud (which was called Mobile Me at the time).

When I check mail on my iPhone it shows up read on my Mac and my iPad. I never could get IMAP to work properly when I had a BB because RIM's BIS server really only understood how to use POP3. How quaint. Basically, RIM built their business model around building a server infrastructure to poll POP email accounts to make them appear to push. IMAP IDLE ends the need for any such nonsense and works better than BIS ever did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.