iPhone vs Galaxy Note

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shadyriley, Feb 20, 2012.

1. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

2. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

I like how the Note seems to be getting bigger in each panel as if it were a tablet. That's Apple loyalist reality distortion field effects for ya.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

...Based on the tween sexual humor, I'd say yes.

4. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

Because a stylus pen is going to change my life.

5. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Probably used the S-pen comic book app available for the Note to do it too!

Anyway...why so much hate for other devices?

I have a note and I really like it. I figured I'd give it the 30 day trial to see if I liked it over my iPhone, and after 3 days, the Iphone4 is probably headed to Ebay.

I love the iPhone, but I just wanted a larger screen and like something different for a change.

Sure the Android system isn't as polished as IOS, but it has it's advantages as well. From what I hear, ICS is much better than Gingerbread, but I kind of like Gingerbread. Sure the screen isn't retina, but it's Super Amoled and huge and looks awesome to me. I can actually use the phone without wearing my reading glasses.

Sure the Android marketplace leaves a lot to be desired, but the apps I need and use are available.

Sometimes change is good. The Iphone4 is an awesome device and I'm sure Apple will only make it better, but I just don't see the reason that so many who have never even held an Android enabled phone spew out so much negativity toward anything non-Apple. I guess some just follow the herd, and some dare to go on their own.

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

284 dpi on an HD resolution screen you dont have to hold 12" - 18" from your face to actually read, more than makes up for it. ;)

7. Jagadis macrumors newbie

Walt Mossberg's recent review of the new Samsung Galaxy Note says it best:

"As a mobile phone, the Galaxy Note is positively gargantuan. It’s almost 6 inches long and over 3 inches wide. When you hold it up to your ear, it pretty much covers the entire side of your face. You look like you’re talking into a piece of toast".

The whole Android product landscape is such a mess...hehe.

Jag.

8. cotak macrumors regular

What's not mentioned:

Iphone 4s 649 off contract (the true price, you are just paying for it monthly likely with interest when going with carrer) plus 499 for an ipad. That's 1148 to get both.

Galaxy Note: 699 off contract approx should come down once the initial rip off period is done. And for some people that means no more need (need? who needs a tablet? You want!) for a tablet.

Anyhow just wanted to point out that for some people that note makes more sense.

And don't laugh at the pen until you have tried it. I wouldn't leave my ipad unloved as much if it has a pen. If it can link up with my iMac as a digitizer (like the very expensive wacom pen display) it would have made a cracking value. Ah well that's a dream for those of us who actually use our Macs for creation vs just consumption right (lets not even get started on the long in the tooth Mac Pro and Apples apparent attitude towards it. Nvming the Final cut fiasco)?

It's the lack of taking things to the logical "hey that would be useful" conclusion that's going to be a drag on Apple. That's what Jobs used to do with the company. He'd make things that should have already existed but other companies thinks is too expensive to make or there's no market for it. Now Apple's starting to feel a bit like those other companies. And the loud noise from the fandom that inevitably defend the new Apple kinda sucks. Cause I don't want them to stop trying because the masses are happy with the status quo. I want them to wow the masses.

9. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

SO...you only post the negative of what he said and not the positive?? What you said was only a small part of his review. A true Apple Fanboy ! I and many others now have the Note, and I don't feel like I'm talking into a piece of toast. In fact, after 5 days with it, my Iphone4 seems way too small now . When I criticize something, I base that criticism on personal experience, not someone else's opinion.

The 3 inches by 6 inches is exactly why so many are buying the device. If I wanted a tiny phone, I'd just stick with my Iphone4. For me the larger size outweighs the negatives, and there aren't too many of those. Try out the Note, you may actually like it. It's growing on me after 5 days now.

10. Jagadis macrumors newbie

I wasn't criticizing the phone, I was merely stating that the phone is too big for the majority of users. If you read Walt's final verdict, he states:

"The Samsung Galaxy Note isn’t for everyone, and I can’t recommend it as the main mobile phone for most people. But as a stylus-driven small tablet, it might be just what some users are looking for."

I suppose the people that are purchasing the Note (including you) are part of a minority of mobile users who have specialized reasons for needing an overly large display. If it works for you, that's great. Its too big for my use and I personally think the XL size of the phone would feel extremely clumsy in my smaller sized hands.

Other than that...it looks like a decent phone. My bigger beef is with the whole Android strategy. The market is very fragmented, there is little consistency (every manufacturer is customizing their hardware and UI in different ways) and the manufacturers seem to be balking at providing timely updates and bug fixes to both Android (i.e. ICS) and their customized versions of the phone's UI (i.e. Samsung Touchwiz).

I actually like the Galaxy Nexus and would have ordered one if my company supported the Nexus on the corporate network. I was forced to choose between an iPhone 4s and the Samsung Galaxy S II and I personally felt that the iPhone was the better phone.

Enjoy your toast ;)

Jag.

11. cynics macrumors G3

A lot of insecurity here or something. I can go days upon days without seeing a single mention of apple or the iPhone on the forums I browse on androidcentral. It's hours sometimes minutes before a new Android thread on macrumors started by a iPhone user most of the time.

Currently there's this one, Samsung galaxy note, another talking about android battery life, and another asking if anyone has thought about getting an android. All started by people that prefer iPhones.