iPhone vs. Galaxy S - video, questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sch11, Oct 21, 2012.

1. sch11 macrumors member

I've never used Android, but I have to say the video below convinced me it's worth a shot. Too bad it's not supported by my organization, or I would have gotten one of their flagship phones instead of an iPhone, which I recently got. I'm underwhelmed by the native feature set and the app store (which, while extensive, is full of junk).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A48A4J5qpYA&feature=plcp

The iPhone is incredibly smooth and fast, though. My sense is the highest-spec Android devices on the market run even the OS with stutters and random hiccups, and web browsing isn't as fast as it is on the iPhone on LTE. True/false? Also, if anyone's used the Mail client on Android, how does it compare with iPhone's? Setting aside some inexcusable bugs with push notifications, the iPhone's client is decent, but it's missing many features I'd like (this is inevitable, because a mobile client can only offer so many without becoming unusable). I wonder if the Android client has a better feature set in its mail client too.

2. sparayno1 macrumors newbie

I tried the S3 mail client and it really was not as good as the iPhone.. Not as user friendly. The battery in the S3 is also larger yet the most people get is about 4 hours on screen time while iPhone users can experience double that.

3. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Coming from a GS3, i can defitnetly say that the browser is noticeably quicker on the iPhone 5, and the multi touch on iPhone is unmatchable...everything is extremely zippy on the i5 to be honest

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

that was one of my biggest annoyances. If you use solely a gmail account it is great, but if you use anything else....the default mail clients or ones you download are just ugly and I did not like them.

5. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I see threads like this and then threads like "s3 is the best its faster than iPhone"
    and I think
    "someones lying"
    and I watch a video and the 5 is faster.

6. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Used the s3 for a wk. awesome concept but its too big for me to use one handed. Hard to text when driving (I know I shouldn't). Also the screen is too reflective and gives me headaches. Not to mention having to constantly turn on and turn off Bluetooth, wifi, and the screen manually became super annoying. It works for some people but it's not for me. I love my 5! 64 gig

7. sch11 thread starter macrumors member

Tymaster -- I acknowledged in my OP that the iPhone 5 is faster than the most recent flagship Android devices. (I take it the "S3" is the fastest Android device on the market?)

The person who created the iOS-Android feature comparison video linked in the OP created a video speed test of sorts himself, and he also acknowledges that the iPhone 5 is faster, although I think his speed test video compares the iPhone 5 with an a device other than the S3.

----------

Can you please explain what you're referring to here? I haven't used an Android device before.

8. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

im guessing he's trying to say android's power management sucks or something of the sort, You can have all the radio's turned on on iOS and it will go down 1% every 5 minutes just idling. well that's an estimate I haven't exactly tried it.

----------

I watched the video and honestly some of those features are stupid, like smart stay and s-beam. But to each their own.

9. sch11 thread starter macrumors member

Agreed that many of the features would be useless for me, but several sounded very useful. Keyboard modifications, for example, would be a godsend (the way the iPhone autocomplete works can be infuriating). Haptic feedback sounds interesting. I'd also kill for a notification LED, sound profiles and toggles for basic settings in the notification tray. Also, a wider screen would make many web pages that are virtually unreadable on the iPhone much easier to read. There may have been other big ones that I don't remember off the top of my head.

10. Radiating, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

Radiating macrumors 65816

The GS3 will have extreme and ridiculous hiccups compared to the iPhone 5 if you don't manage your background apps well, if you do both will be seamless. The mail app isn't as seamless or as good in my experience.

Personally I would stick with the iPhone, there is a reason why despite Android having a larger market share, iOS has over 4 times the amount of web traffic and twice the amount of time spent using apps, more apps downloaded etc. iOS is just better to use. Don't let yourself get tempted into buying something that seems better only to see yourself actually not using it. That's the worst outcome.

My response to the video you posted by the way:

Reason #1.

Virtually nobody uses NFC for phone to phone communication in the real world, have you ever heard of or seen anyone sharing a playlist by bumping their phones together? For NFC cards, there are NFC card cases for the iPhone 5.

Reason #2

DLNA is inferior to Airplay

Reason #3

Removable micro SD storage is alot less glamorous than people think and has an extremely slow data rate, over 14 times slower than the regular memory it's actually slower than an LTE or Wifi download. It would take over 4 minutes to load a medium sized game from Micro SD. Samsung also doesn't offer a 64GB version of the GS3 so the most fast storage you can have is 32gb and then you're stuck with dinosaur slow micro SD storage beyond that.

Basically anything that removable storage can do for file transfer, free cloud storage will usually do better and faster, assuming you have an internet connection. And having a 64GB iP5 will be much better than a 32GB GS3 with a 32GB micro SD in most typical use situations.

Reason #4

Removable battery is useful but unessesary, there are external iPhone quick chargers and solar chargers if you're going into the boonies, while a less glamorous solution they work just the same in my experience, and there will be battery cases for the iPhone 5 like the 4S which are much more convnient than swapping batteries for those that need to go long times without charges. iPhone 5 already has more LTE browsing time than the Gs3 too so battery is less of an issue.

Reason #5

Yep. Led Notifications are useful and must have for some

Reason #6

Yep the screen is bigger, it is also much lower quality, deliving poor calibration, brightness, colors, sharpness etc

Reason #7

So the purpose of resolution is to make the image sharper and for you to see fewer pixels. Much like the purpose of horsepower in a car is to have acceleration, a car with more horsepower but much less acceleration is not better. While the GS3 has more pixels, it is noticably less sharp and therefore the whole purpose of the resolution is acheived less well not more. The iPhone 5 has so many pixels that you cannot see the distinction between them so adding more would be pointless.

Reason #8

False, the iPhone has widgets too on the pulldown notification area.

Reason #9

Animated wallpapers can be acheived with a jailbeak on the iPhone

Reason #10

Connectivity shortcuts can be acheived with a jailbreak on the iPhone

Reason #11

iPhone 5 isn't available on T-Mobile, this is true, but that doesn't mean you can't use it on T-Mobile.

Reason #12

Face and Voice unlock can be installed with a jailbreak on the iPhone.

Reason #13

Unlock app launch can be acheived with a jailbreak on the iPhone.

Reason #14

Yep there is no iPhone equivalent for SmartStay

Reason #15

Nobody really uses picture in picture on a phone on a regular bassis, or arguably ever.

Reason #16

False, capacitative pens have been reviewed to be MORE accurate and more practical than the GS3 specific CPen. The CPen's primary advantage is that it feels more comfortable not that it writes better. It writes worse.

Reason #17

False. There are several camera apps for the iPhone that have the best shot feature.

Reason #18

Not true, onavo count enables this for the iphone.

Reason #19

Yep the iPhone does not have detailed battery use statistics (ie which app uses the battery)

I got bored after this part though.

11. sch11 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that list. I agree that some of the features may not be useful to everyone, but I think some of the ones you dismiss sound really nice (e.g., the micro SD card storage; the removable battery; the larger screen (text doesn't need super high resolution)). Later in the video, the guy shows Android's file management capability, which looks amazing. It's also got a USB port that you can use common devices with -- even xbox 360 controllers. And on DLNA vs. Airplay - I much, much, much prefer solutions that don't rely on closed, proprietary standards. I actually set up a DLNA server at home, and the only way to access it on my iPhone is to buy a third party app.

Jailbreaks aren't available for the iPhone 5 yet. Jailbreaks also prevent you from updating your OS and can be a headache to do -- it's something that shouldn't be necessary. Similarly, the fact that you can pay extra (and go to the trouble of searching for and reading reviews of) apps that offer some of the functionality isn't quite the same as having it built-in.

Still, I'd want to use an Android device for a week or so before switching, which isn't something I expect to have a chance to do. But really, they sound much more like what smartphones should be these days -- proper, flexible pocket computers, not locked down media consumption devices where the manufacturer collects a toll for each transaction.

12. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

Blown away. Well, I guess I'm jealous.

13. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Guess I have a different experience with iOS. I use GPS, Bluetooth, wifi turned on and can last a day at work without trouble. Not so much with the gs3. I have to constantly turn on an turn off various radios. Not mention having to clear task and everything. Feels like a windows computer. I don't have to do that with my Mac or or my iPhone devices. Just saying what my experience has been.