iPhone warranty void if ONE sensor is activated? Or if ALL?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ahh, Feb 8, 2012.

1. ahh macrumors newbie

Hey people,

So, I took my my iPhone 4S to Ghost Armor to get the clear thing around it so it won't get any scratches (just a few hours after I got it in the mail from pre-ordering in October). I am very OCD about scratches, and I heard this was good so why not! Well, they spray the phone to get the material to stick to the phone. When I got out, I did not bother to check the sensors but when I got home, my brother pointed out the sensor was bright red (I did not even know they existed), and thus, my warranty was void. So I said whatever, I have had every iPhone in existence and never have I had to replace any of them (I even have the original iPhone practically intact).

So anyway, today I noticed that the sleep/wake button is not working. I exhausted every troubleshooting strategy I could to rule out the possibility of it being software related to no avail (restore, rest, etc). The bottom sensor is red, but the headset one is white. I am assuming the other ones must be white as well because my phone has not been near any type of liquids.

I wanted to take to the Apple store to get it repaired/replaced, but I am not sure what they're gonna tell me, and I kind of want to get an idea beforehand, in case I have to pay. I am a broke college student lol.

So, does this void my warranty? Or is it only if all sensors are activated?

And if it does void my warranty, then how much would it be to get it replaced? That is, would I have to pay retail price, or is there a "discount" for being under warranty, or for any other reason?

It's still under a year (iPhone 4S duh lol) but I did not get AppleCare+... And also, the phone is functioning rather well with the exception of sleep/wake button.

Anyway, any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im not sure but I thought you could argue your way that it needs more than 1 sensor to be considered out of warranty.

3. ahh thread starter macrumors newbie

Why would water damage cause a defects up at the top when the "red" sensor is on the bottom? The top one is clear!

Even if the warranty is void, this is weird.

Thanks though.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That happens with water damage.
    You never know what part of the device the short might effect.
    Dont think just because the bottom got wet only things on the botom part of the phone might go wrong.

5. ahh thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Nope. An out of warranty replacement costs $199 USD.

7. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I seem to recall reading that if only one of the sensors has gone, they now open up the phone to check internal one to decide if warranty blown or not? I could be wrong though.

8. medi.freak macrumors regular

OR: You just go to the APple Store, explain your problem and they will just give you a replacement without even checking the phone whatsoever....Good luck!:D

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Apple UK released the following statement after complaints about the sensors were featured on the BBC's "Watchdog" programme:

"If an iPhone has been damaged by liquid, the service or replacement is not covered by the Apple one year limited warranty or an AppleCare Protection Plan (APP). It would be eligible for Out Of Warranty Service. Currently, if a customer takes their iPhone to an Apple Retail Store, the warranty will only be void due to liquid damage if all indicators have been triggered."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2010/06/iphone_problems.html

10. ahh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much, guys. $199.00 is certainly better than a full retail price, and even I get a new one for free, then that would be 100% better. Hopefully it'll be the latter.

Wish me luck!