iPhone warranty

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by utahman130, Jul 9, 2012.

1. utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

My iPhone is still under warranty, and the vibrator switch is really weak. I told Apple my problem, and they asked if it was the phone that had the cracked screen. They said that they would replace the switch if I replaced the screen first. I have had the switch replaced before, I took it in and they gave me a new phone. Do you think that a cracked screen should impact a defect?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, keep pushing. They should repair your defective vibrator switch.

3. utahman130 thread starter macrumors 6502a

utahman130

4. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

hilarious.

Imagine a man falling off a building, say from the 2nd floor so it's not enough to kill him, and landing on a concrete pavement. He'll break a few bones and have a weird face.

Is it possible that you dropped your iPhone? The screen may or may not have cracked, but it's likely that internal damage has occured.

5. utahman130 thread starter macrumors 6502a

utahman130

Yes, I dropped my iPhone, but if setting is defective, they should replace it.

6. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't there a small fee to pay if you damaged your phone for dropping it? I know it's definitely free replacement if the phone freaks out on it's own.

7. utahman130 thread starter macrumors 6502a

utahman130

Apple says its $120 to replace the screen.

8. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

....but that IS the part you are responsible for.

You buy a brand new car and run it into a tree. The AC stops working and you take it in for the warranty work. You wouldn't expect the wreck damage to be repaired at no charge because your AC went out.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

A defective setting is one thing. An issue likely caused by rough handling is a totally different matter.

More likely than not, the weak switch could've been caused by the same rough handling the broke the screen. The fact that a previous iPhone you had had the same issue could just as easily be explained away as you having a history of treating your phones on the rough side. If it was a common, known defect, there's likely be a lot of people complaining about it here.