iPhone Wide as mid-cycle update?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotobadger, Sep 15, 2012.

1. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

It seems that the reaction to the iPhone 5's screen size has been fairly even in that half of us like the new 4 incher and half of us wish it had been made taller and wider (this ratio is just based on my extremely unscientific observations over a few forums and talking to people). But it's safe to say a bunch of people like it and a bunch of people want bigger. So...I was thinking that Apple may consider, for their mid-cycle update, an "iPhone Wide" to appease some folks. Personally, that was the biggest disappointment for me and has given me some pause as to whether I want to come back to iPhone from my Galaxy S3 (who am I kidding, I probably will anyway :p).

So, maybe in the relatively near future an iPhone variant with a slightly larger screen in addition to what's currently available?

They're going to make a smaller iPad. They have different sized computers. Why not?

Well, I hope at least...;)

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Nope. Apple has stated their stand on screen size more than once. Was the iPhone 5 keynote not enough?

3. iDabble macrumors regular

i agree. it's very apple to release a new iphone model mid cycle with a minor tweak or update. i'd expect it in early december for the holiday season, along with an ipad mini.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Every year, someone speculates about Apple announcing the phone they were hoping for, and changing to a 6 month release cycle. Every year, Apple does not do it. This year will likely be no different. .

----------

It hasn't happened in 5 years of iDevice release. You wanting it will not change that.

5. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

You have to understand how the app store works, to understand why Apple won't go to a different screen size, at least for now.

iOS Apps are developed to the pixel, they don't scale to screen size like on Android. If an developer writes an App for iPhone 5, 1136-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi, that is how it will display.

So basically right now, iPhone developers have to make their apps work with three different pixel/ppi combinations...

iPhone 5 - 1136x640 at 326 ppi
    iPhone 4/4S - 960x640 at 326 ppi
    iPhone 2G/3G/3GS - 480x320 at 163 ppi

A problem with Android is that app developers have to develop apps for a wide range of resolutions, pixel density etc. This causes degradation in the app market, something Apple doesn't have and doesn't like.

6. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

The iPad "mini" would cause the same problems, no?

The market and the potential to increase profits are what drive companies. If Apple determine there is room to make more money by adding to the iPhone line, it stands to reason they might. Just because it is stated in the keynote does not mean it is etched in stone. Also, in my original post I was speculating not prophesying. I'm not saying it WILL happen (it probably won't as a matter of fact) but I'm just putting it out there.

7. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

What is the iPad Mini? Did I miss the keynote for that device?

In regards to iPad however...

3rd-generation iPad - 2048x1536 at 264 ppi
    iPad 1/2 - 1024x768 at 132 ppi

However looking at aspect ratio, all iPad's are 4:3, the 3rd-generation just has higher pixel density and thus has a higher resolution. Overall for developers the change from iPad 2 to the 3rd-generation iPad was relatively easy.

Let's look at iPhone...

iPhone 5 has an aspect ratio of 16:9 where as iPhone 4S and all before it have aspect rations of 3:2.

So, looking at the facts, Apple's move from 3:2 to 16:9 on the iPhone is an incredible change, especially because they've stuck with the same aspect ratio for 5 years. I'd predict 16:9 to be the new aspect ratio for a while.

In regards to the "iPad Mini", it is rumored to be 4:3, just like all the iPads now. So although the screen resolution may be different, developers can relatively scale their apps easily in the event such a device is released.

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

But they're not gonna alienate their customer base who just bought the iPhone 5, by releasing a phone that many people would have waited an additional 6 months to buy if they knew it was coming. There would be a huge backlash.

9. dgreene196 macrumors member

It would take a fairly major OS update for the option of resolution-independence, correct?

10. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what you mean by resolution-independence, but if I understand correctly, I'd be willing to bet a lot that it would never happen. iOS has a big pro over Android in the fact that basically any app will work on your phone because the degradation is so little as far as how developers have to develop apps. (This isn't a dog on android either, each platform has its benefits.)

----------

And, because of so little degradation, iOS and the App Store is an extremely developer friendly environment. That in itself is why I think the App Store has grown and succeeded so proficiently.