Iphone Wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tech198, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Hi all..

Why don't you see the list of networks around on an Iphone 4S ?

Has this always been ? or has this changed ?

On Mac, when you click the wireless status icon on top, and "see" what other wireless networks are around(in range) and weather they have encryption (padlock) next to them.

However, this does list does not appear on iphone .

Since Wireless could not be implemented in any other way, suggests its probably IOS 5.1 or could have always been, as I tried this same thing on ipad, and get the same results, which suggests Apple only did this on mobile devices/tablets for some reason.

Anyone know what that reason could be ?

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

have you enabled Ask to join networks within settings

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

Yes.. Ask to Join network is enabled.

By the way this option wouldn't/ shouldn't have anything to do with displaying the list of available networks, only connecting to them (which it does anyway)

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

A list of nearby networks has always shown on my 4S.

5. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

What do u mean? A full list of available networks and whether or not they are secure shows up on iPhone just like u say it should. I'm a bit confused. When click wifi under settings a "choose a network" menu shows up with a full list of avail networks. You have to use this to connect...so unless you've never connected to wifi, you have used/saw it.

6. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

umm..weird..

----------

This full list, i don't see at all.

Only my own network appears... but i know others are nearby, coz this is populated on my mac. just not on the iPhone nor the iPad for that matter running both IOS 5.1

7. RMC Tech macrumors newbie

RMC Tech

Definitely a problem with your wireless function. Take it to Apple and see what they say. Attached to the speaker, is the wireless antenna assembly. It's not that crazy of a replacement and you could probably do it yourself. :apple:

8. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Smartphones and tablets simply don't have as good Wi-Fi reception as computers, so it's possible that the signal isn't strong enough for them to pick up.

9. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

+1 your defiantly right on that one.. I called up Apple and was told the iPhone and iPad/ipod touch etc... simple don't have enough transmit power, therefore this would explain why mobile devices and tablets can't see nearby networks but Mac can,

Also makes sense with conserving battery too.