iPhone with 4:3 screen ratio

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Defender2010, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

2. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Sorry but that phone is hideous! So glad the iPhone will never look like that! The iPhone almost has to be wider, taller just isn't good enough, and would be very awkward! I hate to say but the tapered iPhone rumors from last year were a lot more pleasing than the elongated iPhone rumors we have now. It's a shame that that design was never given the green light at apple. :cool:

3. Defender2010 thread starter macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I wasn't a fan of the tapered design at all. I prefer a chocolate bar type form. The link I gave was purely to see the display ratio, not the phone itself, which I do not like at all, but it's the best example I could find!

4. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Understood, on a phone it just looks silly.

5. MF878 macrumors regular

MF878

4:3 on a phone? No way. I want that taller only, 16:9 screen to come to fruition, and to be honest, anyone who thinks that's not what we're getting is kidding themselves, no matter how much they don't like it.

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

We've been seeing so much of the stretched 4.0" display equipped iPhone, that's the same width as the current model, it seems certain that's going to be the one.

Yet I simply can't image that it was designed by J I've. The bloody thing is just hideous. at times I can't help but wonder if it's not a calculated ruse by Apple so as to throw us off.

What I do know is if indeed it's a fake, and Apple has one of it's typically excellent designs ready, I'll be greatly relieved and ready to buy.

At the end of the day, if it turns out the narrow, stretched form factor is real, I will pass & be incredibly disappointed in Apple.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Right now the screen is about and about 3" high and about 2" wide at 1.5 ratio. Going to a 4" 1.33 it would still be about 3" high but about about 2.5" wide. The current total width of under 2.5" was picked by Apple to be the best fit in the average hand. So a 1.78 4" makes much more sense since it preserves the current width than going to a near 3" (total) wide iPhone that would be hard to hold.

8. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

16:9 is only good for watching movies, and mirroring on ur tv. That's it IMO. Other then that, it's terrible. I don't use my phone to watch full length feature films so 16:9 is worthless to me. If they make the iPhone display bigger, it should be in all directions.

9. IO01 macrumors member

I'm almost the opposite -- besides the usual phone functions (phone, text), my primary use for my 4S is watching videos (all 16:9). So I definitely want the next iPhone to have a 16:9 screen (more specifically, at a 1280 x 720 resolution). I wouldn't want a 4:3 screen at all.

10. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

Yeah that's fine, if the iPhone were just for movies, but it's not.

Have to look at the big picture and see that there's more function in making the screen wider and taller across all of the features of the phone.

11. aztooh macrumors 6502a

I'm fine with 16:9 ratio and just the 'elongated' phone...IF they get with the program and do something about the top and bottom bezels. If the leaks are legit, that isn't the case. Having the larger screen will reduce the % of the front that the bezels actually take up, but makes the phone look comical IMO.

And keeping the 'brick' design instead of moving back to having rounded/tapered edges is a terrible idea, especially if increasing the overall size of the device.

----------

If they went 1280x720, as the post you quoted would like to have, the display can be both taller and wider.

12. Defender2010 thread starter macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Sticking my neck out here, but I think 4:3 is more practical than 16:9 on an iPhone. A wider display would mean a better safari experience I imagine...

13. aztooh macrumors 6502a

I disagree with that...I'd prefer to not move closer to a square device

14. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

You realize that making the screen 4" (at 4:3) would only add about 1/4" in length, but 1/2" in width.

15. Defender2010 thread starter macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Yes, I do!

16. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I agree, I fear that this is actually going to be the next iPhone. It will be a HUGE disappointment for me. I only watch videos on my phone when I am SUPER bored.

Here is my only hope for this not being the next iPhone... Why have there been SOO many leaks of the shell of the phone? Normally these leaks seem to be much closer to the launch date, and usually we see more of the parts within the phone, not the shell of the phone (iPhone 4 in the bar is a different story all together). So my hope is that this was at some point a prototype iPhone 4 or 4s they are using as a distraction.

17. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Call me crazy, but I would prefer Apple keep the 3:2 aspect ratio and grow the display to 4".

I don't think 4:3 makes sense for a phone, and 16:9 is great for video, but web browsing, reading, and everything else doesn't look or feel as nice compared to 3:2.

18. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

If we are taking size into consideration, look at what's possible. I have two phones presently.

Here are the dimensions.

136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm - Galaxy S III with 4.8" (16:9) display

115.2 x 58.6 x 9.3 mm - iPhone 4S with 3.5" (3:2) display

Notice the difference in width is only 12mm. That's very little.

In inches it's only 0.47" wider. Yet that's a very important amount, since it makes the phone so much easier and faster to use. Scrolling is greatly reduced, Internet viewing is terrific, and typing out emails and messages is simply wonderful. Especially in landscape orientation. I find this SGS III nearly ideal.

If Apple installed a spacious display like the SGS III has, it would be the best smartphone for me.

source: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4803&idPhone2=4212

19. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...and do much more difficult for many people to carry, hold, or use one handed.

There are plenty of arguments to be made for both sides.

20. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Funny you should say that.

I live in a large University Town, and I see a huge number of girls, and young women carrying the latest HTC One X, SGS III, and other full size Android phones.. no problem.

I'm not arguing, as I happen to use both. Furthermore there are always positive points to be made about any laptop, phone, etc. Nothing is as important as ones personal preferences.

Yet that said in the popular spots, on Campus, in Starbucks, and other places college students hang out, the full size top of the line Androids priced at the same $199.00 price point as iPhone 4S models, are everywhere. That in and of itself, reveals that size is not an issue.

However within the Apple community, where the culture of superiority reigns supreme, every other brand is widely considered as junk. It's been that way for years, an attitude maintained by the highly worshiped Steve Jobs. Even in his absence it's not about to change anytime soon.

21. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Funny you should say that... considering I said,"plenty of arguments to be made for both sides," but you chose not to include that in the quote and instead went on a tangent bashing the Apple community for no reason.

22. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Not gonna call you crazy. I would prefer the iPhone keep the exact same aspect ratio and get a bigger screen. I personally would like a 4.3-4.5" screen. I used to have a Galaxy SII for work, and the screen was awesome.

As for all of the comments about holding the phone. Yes, my iPhone was much easier to use with one hand, but when I type (especially when I send emails or texts) I use two hands anyway in order to type much faster. So for me, the pro's of the bigger screen outweigh the con's (assuming the larger screen is accomplished by more than just making the phone taller).

23. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

This. Twice.