iPhone without data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JustinDaigle, Dec 18, 2011.

1. JustinDaigle macrumors member

I'm trying my very hardest to move my mom away from her old flip phone, so I gave her my old iPhone 3GS. Thus far, she's just been using it as an iPod touch. I'm trying to convince her to use it as a phone, but she's worried that she'll wind up being charged for data. So I'm thinking that if I turn off the Cellular Data switch in the networking settings, this won't happen. Can someone confirm this, or tell me otherwise? Ultimately, I guess what I'm worried would happen is that AT&T would somehow figure out her SIM has been placed in an iPhone, and start tacking on charges for no legitimate reason. Anyone got experience with this, and would like to share what would happen?

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

You can put the phone on a no annual contract GoPhone SIM. No unlocking required and you do not need to add a data plan. But if your mom wishes to occasionally check eMail on 3G or something of that sort you can add a $5 10MB data plan.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If she is on a contract line with AT&T they will eventually slap the data line on there for her regardless of whether or not she keeps the cellular data off. The only way to stay with ATT is to do the pay as you go service. Sucks, but this is how their policy is.

Just curious, why are you trying to force this phone upon your mother? If she is happy with her flip phone, leave her be man! :p

4. trajen macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Go for it. My brother has had a data-free iPhone 4 on the AT&T family plan for over a year. No data charges yet.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Be very cautious.

I bought my mom an iPhone 3GS two years ago. Now she's asking me about upgrading her every year. Problem is now she travels quite a bit, so unlocked is required.

Oh did I mention she asks for the largest capacity model as well despite the fact that she only uses like 2GB on her current device? Oh no I have to do what she says.

One more thing… she just got my dad hooked! Oh no!

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

it won't matter if you turn cellular data off, once the phone enters the carriers network, they will know what type of phone it is in a matter of seconds.

7. APtalent macrumors regular

It's a matter of luck. Many members here have been charged immediately after use, some have gone months without warnings or additional charges. Play it safe and let it be. Or hook her up with a prepaid AT&T or T-Mobile card. It can be unlocked.

8. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I would recommend the prepaid GoPhone for this very reason. You can do the $25/month plan for 250 voice minutes and unlimited texts (and additional minutes are 10 centers per minute) or the $50 unlimited plan. However, keep in mind that the unlimited plan does NOT have unlimited data for smartphones, so if she wanted a data plan she'd have to buy a separate package.

Looking at the GoPhone for myself.

9. JustinDaigle thread starter macrumors member

My mom's on contract. So from the sound of this thread, even with cellular data turned off, AT&T will still wind up charging her for a data plan? Guess that's not an option then. Sounds kinda underhanded of AT&T to do that kind of thing as well. I'll be keeping it in mind when it's time for me to renew my contract.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

With the exception of T-Mobile (actually, I think they do this too but they give you a discount on your monthly fee if you're off contract), all carriers in the states do this. You use a smartphone on their network, you pay for data.

11. IO01 macrumors member

Sorry, but I lol'ed at this. My father recently asked me to get him an iPad, and he wants the largest capacity model, too. You gotta love it when parents are like that. :D

Back on topic...
    How many more months does your mom have? It may or may not be worth for her to go ahead and pay the ETF so that she can change to a PAYG plan. I too am using a PAYG plan (though I switched after my contract was up), with no data.