iPhone XS Max iPhone won’t unlock.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chillenout, May 31, 2019.

1. Chillenout macrumors newbie

I’m having an intermittent problem with unlocking my Xs max phone. I have Face ID turned on and when I look at my phone the padlock unlocks, but when I swipe up it goes back to verifying my face. The only way I can get into my phone is by turning it off/on. Is anyone else having this problem?

2. Chillenout, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019

Chillenout thread starter macrumors newbie

It seem 100 plus people who looked at my post has never had the problem I’m having or never heard of the problem occurring. I guess I’ll go look for another apple forum for help. Thanks everyone for at least taking the time to look at my post.

3. Banglazed macrumors demi-god

Banglazed

After looking at your phone to unlock, do you normally read the notification or want to go straight into Home Screen? If you wanted to go straight into the Home Screen, lift phone and just swipe up while looking at it. By doing it this way, does it make you authenticate once or twice?

I've never experience that.

4. three macrumors 65816

three

As you just said, maybe they haven't heard of the problem occurring? Maybe they don't have anything to add? Maybe they don't even have an iPhone X / Xs / XR? I don't have an Xs. I don't even have an iPhone. But I'll try and help with some basic suggestions, which probably won't help, but whatever. Have you tried resetting the Face ID and setting it up again? Are you accidentally covering the TrueDepth cameras with your finger? Are you on the latest software update? Have you done a factory reset?

Try those. Good luck.

5. Chillenout thread starter macrumors newbie

I wanted to go straight to the home screen. After swiping up 5-6 times I give up and end up turning it off and back on. It works perfectly fine after I do that.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 1, 2019 ---
    Thank you for answering. Yes, I’ve done a factory reset, and I’m not hiding the camera.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 1, 2019 ---
    I guess the next time it happens I’ll have to film it and make an appt with apple.

6. fred98tj macrumors 6502

You didn’t ask for help. You simply asked if anyone else had the problem. I’m glad 100 plus people didn’t post “no”.
    The obvious step is to take it for a checkup.

7. Chillenout thread starter macrumors newbie

Fred. You don’t have to be so rude.

And if you bothered to read my last post you would see that I am going to take it in.

8. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

I think you kind of started the rude thing. He just finished it.

9. mattwestside macrumors member

I have this same exact problem and it drives me nuts. I think it's probably some component of the Face ID camera starting to go out. It happens intermittently and, like you, a power cycle will fix it for a little while. I'll probably schedule a genius bar appt. at some point, but if I can't reproduce it when I'm at the store, they won't replace it, and it'll be a huge waste of time.

10. Chillenout thread starter macrumors newbie

I’m going to video it the next time it happens and then make an appt with apple.

11. andylel macrumors newbie

I had this issue on my original iPhone X. The screen was replaced by the Apple Store and I had no issues with it after that. The diagnostics showed it was the face ID camera if I recall correctly.

12. Chillenout thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? Good to know. When I take it in I’ll mention to them about the camera. Thank you for the information

13. jagolden macrumors 6502a

jagolden

I’m on the latest iOS 12 beta on my XS Max.
    I’ve noticed the initial unlock screen works intermittently. However when the secondary screen pops up I can the swipe up and it recognizes me.
    I think it’s a bug and have reported it.

14. Chillenout thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought is was a beta glitch too, so I removed it and I’m now on the official release... it still happens