iPhone X’s Face ID can’t be fooled by identical twins

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Oct 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jjayf macrumors 6502

Well... Even DNA anaylisis can't tell identical twins apart. Did apple just invent a new crime fighting tool? Imagine down the road a few years and the FBI have a fool proof way to identify CCTV footage.. Irrefutable proof, so accurate even identical twins can be singled out. Stellar..

Conspiracy theorists unite... Apple is using face ID to build a database of 40% of the worlds population to be used to individualize advertising and strip away your last remaining shreds of rights to privacy.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Out privacy has been compromised for years.

3. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

There was another article that used twins and they both could unlock it so YMMV. I read a bunch of reviews so I don't remember which site it was but it was one of the ones listed on the front page.

4. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

5. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

This should be renamed as Nearly Identical Twins.
    If something is identical then it's the same.

identical
    ʌɪˈdɛntɪk(ə)l/
    adjective
    1. 1.
      similar in every detail; exactly alike.

6. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Stop spreading falsehoods, you are not the Donald. NO face ID data or Finger Print ID data leaves the secure enclave of the phone. It is not sent to cloud, not sent to Apple. The whole point of the robust security is everything happens within your individual iPhone.

7. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

once the phone is released, i imagine we'll see video of a set of twins unlocking the same phone via faceID.

8. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Yes but just our emails, messages, tweets, phone calls, but not our finger print or face ID data from iPhone.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Do not forget your SSN, credit card number and much more fromEquifax. And this is just what we know about.

10. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

That’s what credit scoring companies are for. That and making their CEOs rich with stock sales just prior to revealing the breech and leaving the company.

Course any remaining private things we self reveal in Facebook and Instagram. Once the world knows everything about me, no need to be concerned about privacy.

11. Jjayf macrumors 6502

How do we know.. Because Apple says so? A greedy powerful corporation who's sole purpose is to make money?

Read my first post again.. It's spelled s.a.t.i.r.e. No font for that unfortunately.. I respect Apple's commitment to user privacy. At least their stated commitment.. Until the scandal...

12. Simacca macrumors 65816

Simacca

13. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Whatever helps you sleep at night lol

14. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502a

Aibocyrus

15. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

16. Jjayf macrumors 6502

Why, the scandal where wiki leaks reports that Apple has been secretly collecting user facial recognition data and building an army of identiclones to take over the one world government of course. Shhhh.. It hasn't happened yet, I'm from the future. Remember you read it here first.

17. malevolant macrumors 6502

A statute has been set about fingerprint. People may be compelled by court order to turn over fingerprints to unlock phones. Prior to TouchID a person could claim 5th amendment to protect law enforcement from opening their phones. There is no such protection for fingerprints, and my guess is, before long, FaceID

18. Damon2 macrumors regular

Umm yes it can.

Can be it fooled by all sets of identical twins no, but it can be fooled.

Oh well non issue for me at least :D

19. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Been inconsistent with Nilay too and he has no twin.

20. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

Do you know that is the opposite of what Apple has said.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/apple-face-id-kids-twins,news-25906.html
    https://images.apple.com/business/docs/FaceID_Security_Guide.pdf

21. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I hope they are there to just make money, I got several thousand shares of Apple stock that will make my retirement comfortable.

Who works for a poor person. Do not believe that Progressive cr^p the schools laid on you.

22. Jjayf macrumors 6502

As do I.. Apple, Amazon, Alphabet, Bank of America, Facebook, JP Mogan Chase, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs.. If people can put up with corporate greed and evil empires for just a few more years, I should be able to retire comfortable.. If these corporations are going to bleed me hard while I'm working, they can at least give me something in my twilight years. I will have some nice satisfaction knowing that my deviant retirement lifestyle has been partially funded by corporate greed and consumerism.

23. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

Evil empires, someone has been watching to much Star Wars :D but seriously what is evil about any of it? Apple make devices, we like those devices therefore we buy those devices I don’t see a problem here.

24. DennisdeWit macrumors 6502

DennisdeWit

We’ll see on Friday. I am a part of an identical twin and willing to test it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.