Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple shipped 29 million iPhone X devices in the fourth quarter of 2017, according to new research data shared today by Canalys. At 29 million devices shipped, the iPhone X was the "world's best-shipping smartphone model over the holidays."

iPhone X shipments were not, however, the fastest ever for an iPhone due to Apple's decision to offer the device alongside the iPhone 8 and the iPhone 8 Plus, and shipments were below industry expectations.

canalysiphonexestimates.jpg

Canalys says that adoption was largely driven by upgrade demand in operator-centric markets like the United States where the installed base is high and customers can finance $999 cost of the device over many months. Apple was able to hit the 29 million number after a significant increase in production throughout November and December, with the company shipping out iPhone X orders earlier than expected and hitting supply/demand balance towards the end of the month.
"The iPhone X performance is impressive for a device priced at US$999, but it is slightly below industry expectations," said Ben Stanton, Analyst at Canalys. "Apple struggled with supply issues in early November, but achieved a massive uplift in production in late November and throughout December. This helped it meet and even exceed demand in some markets by the end of the quarter. One major benefit to Apple is that customers are increasingly realizing the residual value of their old smartphones, opting for trade-in programs to offset the high price of the iPhone X. But that big price tag, and Apple's split launch strategy, still had an impact, and shipments were not the fastest ever for an iPhone."
Of the 29 million iPhone X devices that were shipped in the fourth quarter of 2017, Canalys says seven million of those were shipped to China, a country where Apple has been aiming to increase growth.

Canalys says that along with the iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, iPhone 7, and iPhone 8 models also continued to "ship well" in Q4 2017, with the older smartphones remaining popular due to their lower price tag.
"Apple is looking at its best performance to date, all thanks to the massive changes it made to its portfolio in Q3," said Canalys Analyst TuanAnh Nguyen. "This strategy has hedged Apple's risk as it upgrades the iPhone, in both design and user experience. While new technologies, such as Face ID and bezel-less displays, help to justify the US$999 price tag and maintain competitiveness with Samsung, Huawei and Google, having a larger portfolio allows Apple to meet its overall shipment targets, and protect its market leadership in the premium segment."
Canalys' data is in line with other estimates that have suggested the iPhone X sold well -- though not as well as hoped -- during its first few months of availability. Consumer Intelligence Research Partners recently said that 20 percent of all iPhones sold in Q4 2017 were iPhone X devices, while 24 percent were iPhone 8 devices and 17 percent were iPhone 8 Plus devices.

Kantar Worldpanel said that the iPhone X saw "stellar" performance in several countries during its first month of availability, though it was outsold by the iPhone 8 and the iPhone 8 Plus. Combined, Apple's three new iPhones captured the top spots for best-selling smartphone models during the month.

Though Apple does not breakout iPhone sales on a model-by-model basis, we'll get a better idea of just how well the iPhone X sold when Apple announces its Q1 2018 earnings on Thursday, February 1.

Apple's guidance for the first fiscal quarter (fourth calendar quarter) of 2018 includes expected revenue of $84 to $87 billion and gross margin between 38 and 38.5 percent. It will be a record setting quarter even at the low end of the guidance range, as Apple reached just $78.4 billion in revenue in Q1 2017.

Article Link: Apple Shipped an Estimated 29 Million iPhone X Devices in Q4 2017

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
It will be a record setting quarter even at the low end of the guidance range, as Apple reached just $78.4 billion in revenue in Q1 2017.

OP author: I'd give more thought to the suitability of keeping "just" in that last line of the article. While your use of it is structurally sound, it practically begs for a smug emoji if one existed to pair with the revenue number... like saying I'm just a billionaire or I'm just attractive to super models or I just drive a Lambo, etc.

Last edited:

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
How many iPhones did Wall Street estimate sold in the quarter?
Most think they will sell 82M iPhones in total. They sold almost 79M in the same quarter last year.

If they sold 30M X in 2 months, I am happy as an investor. Insane ramp up and well over $30B in revenue for 1 product in 57 days on sale. Amazing.

Hope everyone is ready for Apple to deliver a blowout quarter and $4/share. I believe they will do 85M iPhones and Nearly $95B in revenue if not more.

ANY report not from Apple, even a positive one like this, should be taken lightly. It happens every quarter. “Analysts” guess what is going on with Apple supply chain and they are wrong literally every time. Go look at the crap Nikkei was reporting about iPhone production cuts, poor sales, etc. Apple always proves them wrong.

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
So taking into two statistcs: one saying it's 29 million and the other saying 20% of total sales, do we assume apple sold around 150 million iPhones in 4th quarter?

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
Numbers I'd like to see:
• What percentage of Android phones in 2017 had no head phone jack
• How many of the same have tried to do their own version of AirPods
There's financial numbers and then there's the numbers that run against what the angry mob were shouting about this time last year.
Feeling sorry for them this year. All they seem to have is "that notch - I don't like that", "someone sez Apple is discontinuing the X". :)

Reactions: martyjmclean

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Q1 will be between 80-82 million total iPhone sales. Of that the X will be roughly 35-38 million units being optimistic. Gross revenue for Q1 will be between 84-85 billion. Margins still at 38%. :apple:

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
So taking into two statistcs: one saying it's 29 million and the other saying 20% of total sales, do we assume apple sold around 150 million iPhones in 4th quarter?
Gonna throw out a no on that one, but I would not underestimate AAPL. Apple doubters have been wrong lately. Stock was near all time highs again today and was knocked down by more fake news from JP Morgan acting like they knew what premium smartphone demand is doing.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
Why is a price drop bad for consumers?
(Aside from early adopters,)

A price drop once the next variant of a device comes out is one thing but this is why Apple has low, mid and high tier devices.

Its bad for consumers because it placates them into thinking that everything should be in the same pricing tier.

I know if I want iPhone X then I had to pay the premium pricing and I was also aware that if I didn’t then there was a mid tier model.

It’s not the problem of Apple if I am tight or loose with my wallet. I hope current variants of the X are never lowered below 999 until they are older models.
[doublepost=1516763012][/doublepost]
Well we are 7.6 billions people world wide so yes 29M... it is a failure...we are talking about cell phones here even kids have one nowadays...

Ask Huawei or google if they would be happy out the gate if they had a single model that had “failure” numbers like that and gained them that much profit.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
29,000,000 phones x $999 = $28,971,000,000 / 38% = $11,008,980,000.

That's 11 BILLION in revenue from this 1 phone in the Quarter. Unbelievable.
No, that’s $29B in revenue from 1 phone and definitely more because ASP will be over $1000 because of the $1149 model.

Revenue is MSRP times units sold. You calculated gross profit as they have around 40% gross margin overall, although likely more on iPhone X.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.