Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Giant Red Herring argument.. Total non sequitur the point about a battery indicator mechanism need a full charge cycle to accurately display discharge % smoothly. But nice try!
Lol.. What an excellent spin job on the material there. You are a master at it. That's why I don't do the sourcing thing much here as people can spin it to fit their views or discount it all together so easily if they don't agree with it.

It's hard to have this debate with all the Apple hate trolling here and with people not understanding the difference between NickelCadmium era-styled battery CONDITIONING charge cycles.. and battery METER CALIBRATION - which are two entirely different things. Also the conflating of two different stories is mind numbing too. Whether or not Apple throttles their software to make people upgrade devices is an ENTIRELY different story.. I haven't researched that one enough to offer an educated opinion just set.. Sounds like more Apple-hate trolling nonsense from Android infiltrators to our APPLE forum here. I have a super-power -- I can ALWAYS tell when conspiracy theories are pure nonsense.. and this 'planned obsolescence' by Apple is making my 'nonsense antenna' go off.

As I said above haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate. :) So we're into circular argumentation now.. and that's boring to all. I was unsubscribed from this thread the other day after I saw I was getting nowhere 'educating' the Android infiltrators. But the individual quotes of me still show in Tapatalk notifications for some reason... I accidentally hit one for this thread again.. Uggh.. Won't make that mistake anymore...

*UNSUBSCRIBE FOR GOOD*
Happy Holiday to all - even the haters.

You can throw all the adjectives you want at myself and others. The FACT is, your own source proved you wrong.

LMAO @ Android infiltrators.

Reactions: iSilas and jamezr

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
agreed.....tell your customers to pay $80 for new battery and have your phone perform like new....or slow their device down and have them pay $800 for new phone? We know which path Apple has taken.

This may sound petty, or it may not, but I’m having issues sticking with Apple at this point. This just screams shady and I’m not sure I want to keep giving Apple my money. The path they took just isn’t right to me. They can say what they want but the lack of transparency accomplished the task that they intended with it. And I don’t like it.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think it’s pretty sneaky what Apple have done to be honest. If older phones are suffering so much after just a year then people should be offered free battery replacements. My iPhone 6S is apparently performing Ok at the moment but battery life is pretty dreadful. Basically iOS 11 has well and truly screwed my iPhone up. It was performing great on iOS 10 and I really regret updating.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
A fair number of posts were removed due to rules violations. Please stay on topic and be respectful

Rules for Appropriate Debate

Respect
Guidelines: Show respect for your fellow posters. Expect and accept that other users may have strongly held opinions that differ from yours.

Rules:

1. Name-calling. Name-calling falls into the category of insults and will be treated as such according to the forum rules, your own opinion about another member notwithstanding. You can't call a bigot a bigot, a troll a troll, or a fanboy a fanboy, any more than you can call an idiot an idiot. You can disagree with the content of another member's statement or give your evidence or opinion to dispute their claims, but you may not make a negative personal characterization about that member.
  2. Insults. Slurs and insults against groups of people based on negative-stereotyping and obvious generalizations fall into the category of trolling and will be treated as such.
  3. Taunting. Mocking or taunting another forum member is not acceptable. Posts that ridicule another member or obviously exaggerate or misstate their views may be removed.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
A lawsuit in France for the battery of the iPhone

https://translate.googleusercontent...e.html&usg=ALkJrhga_IYviLj2apdjvecf2cJX4uWWvg

After the announcement of the first class action less than a week ago, no fewer than 10 lawsuits have been launched in the United States. In France, the HOP / Halte a l'obsolescence programmée association has announced that it has filed a complaint against Apple for planned obsolescence.

This is really making headwinds everywhere.
And the thing is apple has the resources to fight all of these lawsuits simultaneously. It may clear the air once and for all about the planned obsolescence meme.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
A lawsuit in France for the battery of the iPhone

https://translate.googleusercontent...e.html&usg=ALkJrhga_IYviLj2apdjvecf2cJX4uWWvg

After the announcement of the first class action less than a week ago, no fewer than 10 lawsuits have been launched in the United States. In France, the HOP / Halte a l'obsolescence programmée association has announced that it has filed a complaint against Apple for planned obsolescence.

This is really making headwinds everywhere.
and here is Apple's Mea Culpa

Apple apologizes for iPhone slowdown drama, will offer $29 battery replacements for a year
https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/28...e-battery-replacement-price-slow-down-apology

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I heard user in other threads say Apple store have turned them away for battery replacements, cause they felt they didn't need a new battery. Is that's true?

I personally want to replace my 7+ battery for $29 now, just to buy more time, being that I plan to keep it until it's obsolete, even if I do get another iPhone in the near future.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
I said that apple couldn't remove the throttle and they haven't.
Offering reduced price battery replacement to dodge around the issue is shady as **** in my opinion.

For reference, my S6 has gotten faster with age and updates.

Screenshot_20171229-010427.png

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I said that apple couldn't remove the throttle and they haven't.
Offering reduced price battery replacement to dodge around the issue is shady as **** in my opinion.

For reference, my S6 has gotten faster with age and updates.

View attachment 744161
Such a stark contrast...Android OS upgrades prolong battery life. IOS OS upgrades degrade battery life.

There must a flaw in how Apple handles power to their chipsets. I mean why does it out the phone at risk if the battery slows down over time?

Apple says they throttle iPhones to prevent the phone from shutting down.
Why would that happen? I guess Apple uses inferior battery technology.

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Such a stark contrast...Android OS upgrades prolong battery life. IOS OS upgrades degrade battery life.

There must a flaw in how Apple handles power to their chipsets. I mean why does it out the phone at risk if the battery slows down over time?

Apple says they throttle iPhones to prevent the phone from shutting down.
Why would that happen? I guess Apple uses inferior battery technology.

Android OEMs have come out clean on this

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...ont-slow-processor-speeds-old-batteries-apple

HTC and Motorola say they don’t slow old phones like Apple does

HTC and Motorola say they don’t throttle their phones’ processor speeds as their batteries age, something Apple last week acknowledged doing to prevent errors after iPhone owners documented slowdowns. In emails to The Verge, both companies said they do not employ similar practices with their smartphones. An HTC spokesperson said that designing phones to slow down their processor as their battery ages “is not something we do.” A Motorola spokesperson said, “We do not throttle CPU performance based on older batteries.”

The Verge also reached out to Google, Samsung, LG, and Sony for comment on whether their phone processors are throttled in response to aging batteries. A Sony spokesperson said a response would be delayed by the holidays, and a Samsung spokesperson said the company was looking into it.

That said, Apple didn’t make it clear that replacing an iPhone’s battery could resolve this issue and improve performance. The company doesn’t make it particularly easy to replace batteries, either. And more importantly, it could have designed phones that didn’t need these guardrails just a year after their release, which is arguably the bigger issue.

These problems have clearly frustrated iPhones owners who found their phones suddenly slower after an update, and several are hoping to bring a class action lawsuitagainst Apple for the largely undisclosed practice.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Samsung and LG also claim to not slow down phones with older batteries

Speaking to PhoneArena, LG said:

Never have, never will! We care what our customers think.

Samsung also doesn't throttle CPU performance with older batteries, but its answer was much longer:

Product quality has been and will always be Samsung Mobile's top priority. We ensure extended battery life of Samsung mobile devices through multi-layer safety measures, which include software algorithms that govern the battery charging current and charging duration. We do not reduce CPU performance through software updates over the lifecycles of the phone.
https://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-and-lg-also-claim-not-slow-down-phones-older-batteries

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
My Samsung has a built in cpu throttle but it is there for me to use as I see fit at anytime, and isn't turned on when the battery life is degraded.
I have used it a few times.
There is an option, a setting to turn it on and off.
Surely Apple can do this seeing as they are perceived as the software masters...

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
and here is Apple's Mea Culpa

Apple apologizes for iPhone slowdown drama, will offer $29 battery replacements for a year
https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/28...e-battery-replacement-price-slow-down-apology

Android OEMs have come out clean on this

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...ont-slow-processor-speeds-old-batteries-apple

HTC and Motorola say they don’t slow old phones like Apple does

HTC and Motorola say they don’t throttle their phones’ processor speeds as their batteries age, something Apple last week acknowledged doing to prevent errors after iPhone owners documented slowdowns. In emails to The Verge, both companies said they do not employ similar practices with their smartphones. An HTC spokesperson said that designing phones to slow down their processor as their battery ages “is not something we do.” A Motorola spokesperson said, “We do not throttle CPU performance based on older batteries.”

The Verge also reached out to Google, Samsung, LG, and Sony for comment on whether their phone processors are throttled in response to aging batteries. A Sony spokesperson said a response would be delayed by the holidays, and a Samsung spokesperson said the company was looking into it.

That said, Apple didn’t make it clear that replacing an iPhone’s battery could resolve this issue and improve performance. The company doesn’t make it particularly easy to replace batteries, either. And more importantly, it could have designed phones that didn’t need these guardrails just a year after their release, which is arguably the bigger issue.

These problems have clearly frustrated iPhones owners who found their phones suddenly slower after an update, and several are hoping to bring a class action lawsuitagainst Apple for the largely undisclosed practice.

Lol, pretty sure someone said all this would go away in no time around here.

So much for it simply being forgotten.

Glad other OEMs don't do this and in actual fact improve performance the way updated should do. :)

Reactions: jamezr

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
What do you guys do that requires the use of iTunes? I haven’t plugged my iPhone into my computer in years, save for an encrypted backup or two.
I still use iTunes to backup my iPhones and to sync music to them as well as manage playlists. I'm not ready to give that up anytime soon. One day last week, I wasn't paying attention to the on screen prompts when I turned off iCloud photos and all the pictures on my phone were gone. I simply restored my iTunes backup and they were back.

I still enjoy using iTunes for my phones.

NewdestinyX

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2007
Notice how Apple rectifies 'this latest hysteria' by offering a 'new battery' for a discount. If they'd really admitted to slowing the CPU with software - they'd just offer an 11.3 to rectify the issue. Still seems like a giant 'group think hysteria' to me.. but...

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Notice how Apple rectifies 'this latest hysteria' by offering a 'new battery' for a discount. If they'd really admitted to slowing the CPU with software - they'd just offer an 11.3 to rectify the issue. Still seems like a giant 'group think hysteria' to me.. but...
So they should go back to having phones shutting down abruptly?

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Apple are in damage limitation mode.
Public perception is very negative from what I've read in local and global media.
It's kinda funny as both global and local read the same, mostly negative but the usual suspects trying very hard to pretend it's a non-issue.
Totally ignoring the fact that Apple have very publicly and globally apologised for this and fast-tracked the repair/replacement programme.
This is something that tells me Apple are taking this very seriously.

Another poster pointed out on another thread that this replacement programme is just the beginning if they don't change the way the software handles throttling as ever future phone will be affected in the same fashion.
The fix only works for a year or two.
Claiming owners lack of education on lithium-ion batteries is just disengenious at best.
The cash cow part of Apple's phone purchaser's aren't going to want to know how things work, they just want them to work.
I don't think Apple are that stupid that they'll risk a big chunk of buyers defecting to Android...

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Apple are in damage limitation mode.
Public perception is very negative from what I've read in local and global media.
It's kinda funny as both global and local read the same, mostly negative but the usual suspects trying very hard to pretend it's a non-issue.
Totally ignoring the fact that Apple have very publicly and globally apologised for this and fast-tracked the repair/replacement programme.
This is something that tells me Apple are taking this very seriously.

Another poster pointed out on another thread that this replacement programme is just the beginning if they don't change the way the software handles throttling as ever future phone will be affected in the same fashion.
The fix only works for a year or two.
Claiming owners lack of education on lithium-ion batteries is just disengenious at best.
The cash cow part of Apple's phone purchaser's aren't going to want to know how things work, they just want them to work.
I don't think Apple are that stupid that they'll risk a big chunk of buyers defecting to Android...

The real issue which is not being addressed is why Apple phones become unstable as the battery ages, necessitating this throttling. It apparently started with the design of the iPhone 6 and newer, given that is where they did the throttling. I've never heard of such a thing on other tech. I suspect this is why Apple is going after this free battery thing so quickly, because it is much cheaper than a broad recall to fix some design problem impacting all the devices they've shipped since the iPhone 6. In the past, Apple has not been so quick to jump on a repair... look at the antenna thing and "you are holding it wrong". Hopefully the lawsuits will uncover the real facts.

Reactions: Klyster

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The real issue which is not being addressed is why Apple phones become unstable as the battery ages, necessitating this throttling. It apparently started with the design of the iPhone 6 and newer, given that is where they did the throttling. I've never heard of such a thing on other tech. I suspect this is why Apple is going after this free battery thing so quickly, because it is much cheaper than a broad recall to fix some design problem impacting all the devices they've shipped since the iPhone 6. In the past, Apple has not been so quick to jump on a repair... look at the antenna thing and "you are holding it wrong". Hopefully the lawsuits will uncover the real facts.

Just an uninformed guess of mines .... Maybe there's some type of bottlenecking going on that requires more current.

For example: The GPU side of the A10 is basically the same as the A9, but with just a speed boost tweak. I don't know if that's normal for Apple or even Android manufacturers to do, but this might be the cause for Apple's problem.

Again, I'm just taking a wild guess.

Reactions: Klyster
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.