iPhone X - Chicago Michigan Ave.

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by nlkccom, Oct 28, 2017.

1. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

Anyone planning to get in line at the new store on Michigan Ave.?

2. knihc2008, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017

knihc2008 macrumors member

I am planning on picking up an iPhone x opening day. Wondering how much inventory this brand new flagship will carry. Tbh planning on walking in round 9am and seeing what my luck brings. Work in the am precludes me from lining up.

3. Raider2338 macrumors newbie

Raider2338

My boyfriend and I were considering waiting in line. It depends when we would have to start waiting in line. I took work off for Friday, but not for Thursday.

4. jiangning macrumors member

I’m deciding between Michigan ave and suburban stores (lower tax, probably fewer people but also fewer in stock). Any thoughts or experience from previous year? I’ve only lined up at Michigan ave before.

5. knihc2008 macrumors member

What was the experience like at michigan Ave? What time did you start lining up? Will be my first time lining up for an iPhone.

6. aaguilar macrumors newbie

aaguilar

I was considering lining up for an iPhone too. What time are you planning to get in line?

7. knihc2008 macrumors member

Honestly will not be able to make it to the store until around 5-6am Friday morning :/ You?

8. aaguilar macrumors newbie

aaguilar

I was actually thinking of going there after 8am lol

9. knihc2008 macrumors member

Best of luck to both of us! lol

10. jiangning macrumors member

I got there after 6, already deep in the nw hospital area. Got the phone around 11 I believe. It was fun, there were merchants giving out free burritos and coffee etc.

This year will be different since they moved their store. They will have enough room for the line by the tribune tower so might not need to cut the line into several sections due to street intersections.

11. nlkccom thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a pickup reservation at 8:00-8:30am. I will try to get there early to ensure I can get in and out of there quickly soon after they open.

12. neferr macrumors newbie

I was thinking of waiting at the North/Clybourn store. I'm undecided though. I think the new Michigan Ave store will have more stock but longer line.

13. pmjohnson macrumors newbie

pmjohnson

Come to deer park! Not many lining up. Low taxes and you can see the line from your car. Not a massive amount of time in the cold/rain.

14. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

Off topic.

Anyone going to LCD Soundsystem next week? I’m there Tuesday and hopefully with a promised November 3 X to record a few clips.

15. jiangning macrumors member

Yep deer park is also on my radar, but I’m a little worried about the stock.

16. knihc2008 macrumors member

Just went over to check things out over there. Spoke to a very nice sales rep there.

1. There are three people already in line
    2. They will not start checking people in until 8am. The people working AM duty will not get there til 7am.
    3. They will start handing out reservations at 8am for you to come back later in the day to pick up your phone.
    4. They are pretty confident that if you are in the check in line at 8am, you will get your phone on Friday. Sounds like their stock is quite plentiful.

I asked if I should show up at 6am before a work obligation or at 8am after a work obligation, and she said 8am, but I just might have to come back after lunch for the phone. Fine by me.

Also, the flagship AT&T store on Michigan Ave., per a sales rep there, has 20 phones. No line there yet.

TL;DR It's rainy and cold tonight. Save your skin, don't bother camping out tonight and just show up early tomorrow.

Happy hunting tomorrow!

17. nlkccom thread starter macrumors 6502a

18. faraziit macrumors newbie

Would anyone who's there early tomorrow morning be able to post an update before 5 am with the size of the line? That's when I'll have to decide whether to head to Michigan Ave or make for the suburbs...

19. hdm42 macrumors newbie

It’s 11PM, and the line has grown to about 55 people. Apple folks just came out and set up many more barrier ropes to cordon the line. We are lined up down by the river, not up on the street level plaza. One employee suggested that they might move us up to the plaza around 7AM, but was not sure. One of the store’s regular security guards said offhandedly “I heard they got more than one thousand phones” while setting up the rope line. But obviously that’s not an official count. A blue-shirt sales employee said that those of us currently in line “should be just fine” with a confident and knowing smile, suggesting they certainly have plenty enough for the first five or six dozen to have nothing to even worry about.

20. faraziit macrumors newbie

Thanks for the detailed update, hdm42! Please keep them coming—if I have a hard time falling asleep and it looks like the line is starting to swell, might just come and join you folks…

21. hdm42 macrumors newbie

2:30 AM: my headcount has the line at 90-100 people.

22. hdm42 macrumors newbie

It becomes increasingly hard to count accurately as the line swells, but I’d ballpark 130-150 people at 4:20 AM. Certainly not more than 200.

23. faraziit macrumors newbie

Still in the low hundreds?

24. hdm42 macrumors newbie

Yes, definitely. But I will say that the line is swelling much more rapidly as the morning progresses. It took hours to add another row to the rope line, and two entire more rows needed to be added in the last hour and a half.

25. aaguilar macrumors newbie

aaguilar

Where is the end of the line now?