Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkillam

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
I have a question about the colors. Are the steel bands around the phone the same color on both the black and silver versions, or is the band on the black one a little bit darker? I can't tell by looking at the pictures on Apple's website as they don't really give a clear view of the band. Just curious really...

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I have a question about the colors. Are the steel bands around the phone the same color on both the black and silver versions, or is the band on the black one a little bit darker? I can't tell by looking at the pictures on Apple's website as they don't really give a clear view of the band. Just curious really...

white (silver band):

0919_iphone-1000x603.jpg

black (grey band):

BUFfWBGHRQDPJg42BwfKbJ.jpg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

The silver iPhone X has more of a stainless shine similar to the Apple Watch stainless. And the space gray has a glossy black stainless band with a physical vapor deposition coating to help protect it.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
The silver iPhone X has more of a stainless shine similar to the Apple Watch stainless. And the space gray has a glossy black stainless band with a physical vapor deposition coating to help protect it.

I have read that the physical vapor deposition (PVD) used on the black iPhone X is not as protective as what is used on the silver iPhone X. Is there any truth to this, or is it just made up BS? I am going for the black X, so I want to know that band is protected good. Thanks in advance for your help!

Edit: Even though mine will be in a case most of the time, I just want to make sure.

:apple:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have read that the physical vapor deposition (PVD) used on the black iPhone X is not as protective as what is used on the silver iPhone X. Is there any truth to this, or is it just made up BS? I am going for the black X, so I want to know that band is protected good. Thanks in advance for your help!

Edit: Even though mine will be in a case most of the time, I just want to make sure.

How would someone know that the PVD coating is not as protective on the black iPhone X if its not even released yet?

Also, Apple never specified that the Silver iPhone X stainless band uses a PVD coating, which I highly doubt it does. It's likely just for the black iPhone X only.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
I saw the black phone in person and the contrast with the glossy edges is a throwback to the original iPhone / 3G / 3GS. Both look beautiful, but the black has a nostalgic feel for me, so I'm going with it. In some ways, with the iPhone X, Apple has gone full circle and come back to the original design concepts of Steve Jobs. Good work!

Reactions: bnekic

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
How would someone know that the PVD coating is not as protective on the black iPhone X if its not even released yet?

Also, Apple never specified that the Silver iPhone X stainless band uses a PVD coating, which I highly doubt it does. It's likely just for the black iPhone X only.

I believe you are right about the black iPhone X being the only one that uses a PVD coating because on Apples website it specifically mentions that the black iPhone X uses the PVD coating and says nothing about the silver iPhone X.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
A bit off topic but... dang. After seeing the IRL pictures of both the black and silver, I honestly can’t decide which I like more. First time I’ve had trouble choosing a color!

Reactions: allthingsapple!

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
D7253710-915E-4658-B78B-E49D1C23E350.jpeg
A bit off topic but... dang. After seeing the IRL pictures of both the black and silver, I honestly can’t decide which I like more. First time I’ve had trouble choosing a color!

I’m with you, I never have trouble picking a color, it’s always been Black/Slate/Space Gray, etc haha!!

The Silver X looks like an awesome homage to the original. The silver aluminum wrapped around the edges, then there was a chrome trim, then the display.

ETA: It looks like the SG glass back is a serious fingerprint magnet, too.

allthingsapple!

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2014

Agreed! I love the darker band of the space gray but love the white back of the silver ahhh. I'll let fate choose for me. Whichever is the most readily available when I do my preorder is the one I'll go with. Both have black fronts now so I honestly don't care as much as I used to.

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017

The Silver SS iPhone X doesn’t use PVD.

They wouldn’t only specify they do for just Space Gray if it was on both.

For the space gray finish, we use a process called physical vapor deposition”

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The Silver SS iPhone X doesn’t use PVD.

They wouldn’t only specify they do for just Space Gray if it was on both.

For the space gray finish, we use a process called physical vapor deposition”

Not sure why you're quoting something I already indicated listed below and I understand the differences. I clearly doubted that PVD is used for stainless. It's just some were asking if it's was applicable to both models, which Apple never specified the stainless incorporated it.

Also for the record, Apple doesn't specify every little detail used on their products. For example, the space black Apple Watch does not indicate on the website that uses A DLC coating, which can be confusing to some what's included or not.

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
Not sure why you're quoting something I already indicated listed below and I understand the differences. I clearly doubted that PVD is used for stainless. It's just some were asking if it's was applicable to both models, which Apple never specified the stainless incorporated it.

You’re saying “you highly doubt” they do and “it’s likely” only for the SG.

You worded as if it’s a speculation. When Apple said it and is clear. No speculation is needed.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You’re saying “you highly doubt” they do and “it’s likely” only for the SG.

You worded as if it’s a speculation. When Apple said it and is clear. No speculation is needed.

I think You ill-assume what speculation is on a rumored website and That's where you're wrong. Speculation can also be assumed. It's no different when Apple listed the space black Apple Watch on the website, it doesn't list that it uses a DLC coating. Which Apple doesn't specify every finite detail and some question if it's included or not. Which...leads to speculation.

Hence why some ask about the stainless if it uses a PVD coating or not on the iPhone X stainless band. Because Apple doesn't mention it, doesn't mean it's included. But nor am I confirming that I believe it is included either, which my first Post indicates my doubt.

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
I think You ill-assume what speculation is on a rumored website and That's where you're wrong. Speculation can also be assumed. It's no different when Apple listed the space black Apple Watch on the website, it doesn't list that it uses a DLC coating. Which Apple doesn't specify every finite detail and some question if it's included or not. Which...leads to speculation.

Hence why some ask about the stainless if it uses a PVD coating or not on the iPhone X stainless band. Because Apple doesn't mention it, doesn't mean it's included. But nor am I confirming that I believe it is included either, which my first Post indicates my doubt.

It’s quite clear they do not use it on the silver SS. Otherwise they would say so. Instead they only mention SG having PVD in the very same paragraph they talk about the metal used.

Key words “for the space gray”. It doesn’t say “for both finishes”. It’s not an assumption to say the silver SS doesn’t, because it’s clear as day in Apple’s own wording on their website. This is fact.

And no, this is not the same as DLC not being mentioned on the SB AW. If it was the same then they wouldn’t mention PVD at all.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It’s quite clear they do not use it on the silver SS. Otherwise they would say so. Instead they only mention SG having PVD in the very same paragraph they talk about the metal used.

Key words “for the space gray”. It doesn’t say “for both finishes”. It’s not an assumption to say the silver SS doesn’t, because it’s clear as day in Apple’s own wording on their website. This is fact.

And no, this is not the same as DLC not being mentioned on the SB AW. If it was the same then they wouldn’t mention PVD at all.

So essentially You're debating semantics about something that I already agree with that PVD is not used on the regular stainless band, which I clearly stated words like I "doubt it" and Apple "Never" specified, But somehow I need reiterate to you three different times, which my previous post is justified based on my logic is accurate, it's just not worded the way you like it. Am I right?

Second, my point behind using the Apple Watch DLC example, is that Apple doesn't list every finite detail about their product line. Hence which leads to questions if it's included or not, similarly to the stainless band on the iPhone X. And if it was wasn't in question, then you wouldn't have other forum members asking about it. So clearly it's natural to speculate for those who don't know or are unsure, which I never confirmed that it does use PVD on the regular stainless band. So please stop conflating two Different things, when clearly I understand the differences and know what it is or is not included for the sake of discussion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.