Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martius

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
To be honest, I'm always a little cautious about new technologies and it's impact on our health. I wanna buy a new phone, I was decided to get the X, but after reading about the eye strain from the OLED display / FaceID I started to be a little worried. I know, primary school, infrared light is ok and is all around us. But I would rather have the FaceID turned off. However from what I have read it's no way to turn it off, even though is turned off it's still flashing the dots in your face. Is there any video confirming this? I found just few videos how FaceID works...

Hope I can get an answer without listening how stupid I am. Thank you

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Keep in mind people with eyestrain are in the extreme minority. You see more negative posts on forums. I have no issues and FACE ID is perfect. If you don't set it up it will just use your passcode.

stafil

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017

You are in the wrong forum! :D

Unless you have symptoms, don’t turn it off.

If you turn it off however, together with “Attention Aware Features”, nothing will fire. It will be off off.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
To be honest, I'm always a little cautious about new technologies and it's impact on our health. I wanna buy a new phone, I was decided to get the X, but after reading about the eye strain from the OLED display / FaceID I started to be a little worried. I know, primary school, infrared light is ok and is all around us. But I would rather have the FaceID turned off. However from what I have read it's no way to turn it off, even though is turned off it's still flashing the dots in your face. Is there any video confirming this? I found just few videos how FaceID works...

I have face id disabled. Someone who wear thick glasses should be careful.
It's like a magnifying glasses right on your eyes.

When using the animoji with face id for couple min, i have experienced eye strain

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.