Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psymac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Checking out the reviews of the iPhone X, Face ID unlocks to the notification screen, not the home screen. So now you need to swipe up to get to the home screen, a seemingly unnecessary second step as compared to Touch ID.

Can this be maybe be changed in the settings?

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
Checking out the reviews of the iPhone X, Face ID unlocks to the notification screen, not the home screen. So now you need to swipe up to get to the home screen, a seemingly unnecessary second step as compared to Touch ID.

Can this be maybe be changed in the settings?
Unnecessary? If it worked as you would like, you wouldn’t be able to check your notifications. It would open as soon as you looked at your phone and bypass them. The method it uses preserves some degree of privacy and allows you to review/selects notifications.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Swipe down on the homescreen than you can see your notifications.

Some people wake their phones just to see notifications, or even just the time, ie. the lock screen.

I’ve been a critic of FaceID as a replacement for TouchID. So much so that I ended up choosing the 8 Plus over the X, but I understand why is makes sense to require an action to bypass the lock screen even after your face is recognized, but I also agree that there should be an option to go straight to the home screen for those who want to.

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
I use rest finger to unlock so am used to Touch ID taking me to home screen without ever pressing the home button. I was hoping there would be a similar option with the X because the swipe is not needed....

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Some people wake their phones just to see notifications, or even just the time, ie. the lock screen.

I’ve been a critic of FaceID as a replacement for TouchID. So much so that I ended up choosing the 8 Plus over the X, but I understand why is makes sense to require an action to bypass the lock screen even after your face is recognized, but I also agree that there should be an option to go straight to the home screen for those who want to.
Hit the Siri side button

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.