iPhone X iPhone X owners- Are you planning to upgrade to the iPhone XI next fall?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by omelet1978, May 3, 2019.

1. omelet1978 macrumors regular

Hi,

I currently have an iPhone X with AppleCare and 256gb. I skipped the XS and was hoping for a re-design with the iPhone XI or 11. However from looking at the leaks the main re-design is the giant camera module on the back. I personally was hoping for a smaller notch and slightly slimmer bezels.

So with all that being said, I was just wondering if there are other X owners out there that are planning on upgrading or not upgrading. I'm on the fence, so just curious...

2. now i see it macrumors 68040

3. JDnLex macrumors newbie

I have no plans to upgrade my X. Truthfully, I would still be more than happy with my iPhone 7, but I was very excited about the transition to Face ID. Everyone has different needs and uses for their phones. In my case the X still presents a luxurious experience. When I do upgrade it will likely be to a mid level model. Phones no longer feel sluggish and outdated after 2-3 years, so being on the cutting edge of technology isn’t as important to me as it was back before the 6s gave us 2gb of RAM.

4. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Depends on cost and features. It cost 2.1k NZD so i don’t think it’ll be a good idea unless a make a reasonable amount back by selling this one.

5. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

I have a 7 and I’m so ready to upgrade. The 2gb of RAM has really become a problem for me. Nothing will stay open in the background and apps are constantly refreshing.

Im hoping 4gb of RAM in the 11 will be enough. I thought about a xR, but I feel 3gb is not enough for the future.

6. The_Joker13 macrumors member

The_Joker13

I’m undecided. Really depends on storage options and pricing.

7. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

It just depends on peer pressure. I am fully content with my iPhone X. But if I find that the iPhone 11 becomes a thing, then yeah probably.

8. VineRider macrumors regular

Depends on the technical specifications and price. My X is still going strong so it will need to be pretty compelling. I'm more interested in processor, cellular connection, and storage than camera specifications

9. radiologyman, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019

radiologyman macrumors 6502a

Will get 2020 model. Redesign with smaller edges, Qualcomm modems, wifi 6, 5G, 7nm ...

10. Wide opeN macrumors 6502a

Wide opeN

3 year minimum upgrade cycles are about to become the norm for me. Paid upfront for my Xs Max.

Don't give a darn what's introduced, no phone is worth these prices for a short period.

IPhone X seems still good to go for another year IMO.

11. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

My iPhone X, its case & screen protector are too good to let go of now. So the next upgrade will be 2020 for me.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Probably not until 5G is here, unless the Triple Lens camera proves to be a significant upgrade.

13. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

My X was new in fall 2018.

I bought and returned 2 Maxes due to very poor connectivity on cellular, Bluetooth and WiFi.

I was able to buy a new X at Best Buy and went to a perfectly working phone again.

I cannot say for sure that the Intel modems in the Maxes were the problem. But everything else was the same - same carrier, same iOS and same SIM card.

My X has the Qualcomm modem and works the way it’s supposed to.

I will likely sit out 2019 and wait until 2020. And when I do get a new phone, it won’t be on launch day. Too much of a pain in the butt dealing with Apple acting like there was no problem with the Maxes that weren’t working properly.

14. nordique macrumors 65816

My next upgrade will likely be with 5G. The X is more than good enough until 2020. I will wait until after the conference though.

15. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I have a X and looking to upgrade to the Xs Max. Bigger screen is the draw. Then will wait until 5g.

16. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

Ill be keeping the X for a long while. The prices are simply out of control these days.

17. BigDO macrumors 6502a

BigDO

Most probably yes, but only because my X will be 2 years old, and I have a chipped screen and can't fix it/replace the battery due to Apple's archaic geographical restrictions.

If I could fix the screen and replace the battery, I would definitely keep the X as the camera upgrades and new CPU have no appeal to me whatsoever.

18. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Knowing what i’m Like i’m Counting on it yes...annual upgrade so makes sense

19. Calebtt macrumors member

From the leaks, looks like I might be staying with my current X.

20. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

After upgrading from the iPhone X to the iPhone XS Max in the mistaken belief that the Max was a substitute for an iPad, I’m going to return to the regular size X in the fall. The Max cannot ever substitute for an iPad (too small, and the aspect ratio is too narrow), and I’ve grown tired of the bulk in my pocket and the awkwardness in my hands. I’ll get an iPhone 11 (or whatever it’s called), as I’m really intrigued by the Triple Lens camera, and then be set for two years. If 5G hasn’t worked out it’s kinks by 2021, I’ll wait even longer.

21. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

22. omelet1978 thread starter macrumors regular

It's not really growing on me lol, but at the end of the day I'd put a case on it so it's really a non issue.

23. Infinite Vortex macrumors regular

Infinite Vortex

I think most will wait to see what the iPhone XI will actually be. Those that need to upgrade will upgrade irrespective of what it'll be as they will have little other choice. The rest who can choose will probably make the same choice you made with the Xs.

The notch will probably be smaller but will still be there. Apple aren't able to backpeddle with Face ID and there's most likely no means to put the components of Face ID into the display so the notch it'll be. If Samsung and/or LG were able to bury a front facing camera into the display they both would have in their respective 2019 flagships. The release of the Galaxy Note 10 might give some clues as to what's become possible between it and the S10.

As for the bezels, there are overall aesthetics to consider not to mention the actual handling of a bezel-less device (its often a better idea than it is in practice - you don't want too many unintended touches to be going on) so I'm sure Apple will endeavour to offer the best screen to body ratio they can… all things considered. Apple still needs to offer an iPhone that feels and operates like an iPhone.

Personally I think Apple needs to offer more compelling features in any new phone in other areas to truly compel late, or late-ish, model iPhone owners to upgrade. For starters I doubt they will be able to get stay without an ultra-wide camera lens so a camera configuration change is pretty much necessary. It'll be interesting to see in what ways they move forward in the Apple way on their own and in what ways they'll be compelled to follow "others".

Regardless, the design team has a mammoth task ahead of them in 2019 and the next few years to come.

24. HobbesInVA macrumors regular

HobbesInVA

If the iPhone XI doesn't have a Qualcomm option, it will be no deal for me. Intel is garbage.

25. Wide opeN macrumors 6502a

Wide opeN

The iPad to me is redundant. iPhone Xs or Xs Max and MacBook seem to be the way to go.

Unless your a power user of iPad!? Until they intentionally stop handicapping it, I'll never consider iPad again.