Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saladiro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2007
New York
hi, I have the iPhone X with most updated os. If I make the home screen all white, will that use more battery power? If so will it significantly affect the life of my battery?

Tks

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
With OLED display, you’ll save more battery by using a darker background like the one supplied. You can test for yourself one day white and another day the dark background with similar usage to see which one survived longer.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
hi, I have the iPhone X with most updated os. If I make the home screen all white, will that use more battery power? If so will it significantly affect the life of my battery?

Tks
Theoretically yes, but since you aren't staring at your homescreen for hours, the difference should be insignificant in real use.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Setting a pure white background will absolutely drain your battery compared to a darker background thanks to OLED.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Setting a pure white background will absolutely drain your battery compared to a darker background thanks to OLED.
But will that drain be meaningful enough to really worry about it, that's perhaps the more pertinent question.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, no it won't drain it in a snap. But it will greatly reduce the battery life.
Well, that's the thing, under typical use, would it really be in the range of "greatly" (for example, given what's mentioned in an earlier post at #3)?

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Well, that's the thing, under typical use, would it really be in the range of "greatly" (for example, given what's mentioned in an earlier post at #3)?
True. I'd still set a darker wallpaper than pure white. But I see your point here.

saladiro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2007
New York
apologies... im confused.. how to I get an all black wallpaper with matching black doc? or is this not possible?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.