Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grandIOSe

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2017
Buenos Aires
I am considering buying an iPhone Xr and importing into my country, where we use GSM, however, I see that it's still not available sim free factory unlocked. Are the ATT and T-Mobile models unlocked, or are they restricted to those companies?

Thank-you

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I am considering buying an iPhone Xr and importing into my country, where we use GSM, however, I see that it's still not available sim free factory unlocked. Are the ATT and T-Mobile models unlocked, or are they restricted to those companies?

Thank-you

You can get a unlocked version once you paid full price for any of the 4 major US carriers. Just don't use the supplied SIM card.

grandIOSe

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2017
Buenos Aires
You can get a unlocked version once you paid full price for any of the 4 major US carriers. Just don't use the supplied SIM card.

So if I walk into an Apple Store and buy an Xr T-mobile model, and pay in cash, it will be unlocked and I can use it with any GSM service with the appropriate sim? Is this what I am understanding?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Sim-Free model for the XR is now available on apple.com so I take it that Apple store will start having those in stock.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
Sim-Free model for the XR is now available on apple.com so I take it that Apple store will start having those in stock.
They've always had unlocked XR phones. What's the big deal about throwing away the sim that they included?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
They've always had unlocked XR phones. What's the big deal about throwing away the sim that they included?
Actually it depends. At least in the US, when the XR was initially launched it was the carrier model that Apple were selling and yes they are unlocked if and only if you purchase them outright or if purchased through iUP. If you buy it from Apple and you finance it through the carrier's financial plan then it's locked. Only difference between the carrier model and the sim-free model is that the carrier model comes with the sim card while the sim-free model does not.

As for me, I always wait till sim-free model and buy the sim-free model. Always.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
Actually it depends. At least in the US, when the XR was initially launched it was the carrier model that Apple were selling and yes they are unlocked if and only if you purchase them outright or if purchased through iUP. If you buy it from Apple and you finance it through the carrier's financial plan then it's locked. Only difference between the carrier model and the sim-free model is that the carrier model comes with the sim card while the sim-free model does not.

As for me, I always wait till sim-free model and buy the sim-free model. Always.
That's the thing, nothing has changed. You can't buy an unlocked phone on a carrier plan, so if you wanted an unlocked phone before you could simply pay full price for any of the carrier models and get an unlocked phone. The difference being they came with a sim card that you could simply throw away.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
That's the thing, nothing has changed. You can't buy an unlocked phone on a carrier plan, so if you wanted an unlocked phone before you could simply pay full price for any of the carrier models and get an unlocked phone. The difference being they came with a sim card that you could simply throw away.
In a way that is correct. However, the part number for sim-free model and the carrier model is different. Regardless, yes it's the same A model number. However, some people, like me, prefer to buy an actual sim-free model over a carrier model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.