Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
But the Xr is not the cheapest iPhone Apple sells. If I can go to the Apple store and get an iPhone 7 or 8 for less, than those are the cheapest iPhones that Apple sells.

EDIT: dennislaska beat me to it!

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
I was surprised to see that the number of users purchasing AppleCare are only 3-6%. Good. Extended warranties are almost always a bad deal, and (in my opinion) Apple's isn't that good of a buy. It seems that the posters on this forum, however, are pretty heavily into purchasing AppleCare. Maybe that's just a vocal minority skewing my perception.
AppleCare+ is always a must for my mobile Apple devices. The Macs is much more of a stretch (though now they have accidental, I would consider it). I always get it because it gives me peace of mind since I don’t like to use cases with my phones. It’s a relatively low entry point to get it, and it covers two accidental. If I decide to sell my phone after a year and I haven’t used my AppleCare, I can actually return it for a prorated refund. I usually keep it though as I’ll usually sell the device with the AppleCare for added value. I’ve only returned it once. Out of 6 iPhones, I’ve had to use my AppleCare 4 times for my phone and numerous times for accessories (power cable and headphones). Twice because of accidental damage and twice during the second year with a defect (Apple only covers those in the first year without AppleCare).

Mrjynx

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2006
Toronto
That’s because most carriers were giving them away...

For me it was easy. $0 for xr, 550 for xs. Yaaaaa, 0 cost definitely influenced my decision.

while I was pretty annoyed with no 3D Touch, the assistive touch on ios13 has helped close that annoyance for me. But I still miss 3D Touch, just not $550 miss it :)

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Nice. I love my red XR. There is only one single thing I do not like about it and would change: that the portrait mode only works on people.

Reactions: Mactendo

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
You and I obviously frequent different youtube channels. All of the one's I watch emphatically state the XR is the iPhone most people should buy. I agreed. It's the best bang for the buck. Last year in Sept. I said the XR would be the phone I'm getting for my girls this year. By the time the 11's are intro'd, the XR is going to be priced even better.

It’s not about frequenting YouTube channels it was posted to the board.

Almost every youtuber and a lot of members on this board trashed the display and announced no one would buy it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ramchi

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
It's the phone in the right price point.

The question is, was the shift in % based off a larger growth of Xr sales, or a diminished Xs sales.
[doublepost=1563834035][/doublepost]
But the Xr is not the cheapest iPhone Apple sells. If I can go to the Apple store and get an iPhone 7 or 8 for less, than those are the cheapest iPhones that Apple sells.

EDIT: dennislaska beat me to it!

The article was a bit misleading and should probably clarify that it's the cheapest CURRENT generation iPhone.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
From the article "The iPhone XR is Apple's most affordable iPhone, priced starting at $749 in the United States."

Ah, NO. That would be the iPhone 7 @ $449
I'm pretty sure by most affordable they mean from all three new ones, not in whole.

Reactions: dennislaska

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Wow. Didn’t see that coming. That big advertising push suggested to me that the sales figures needed some help. (Maybe we did in the campaign just worked!)

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
For $750 any smart consumer should be expecting an iPhone Xs with Qualcomm radio. This research obviously isn't targeting smart consumers like the Slickdeals community.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
It’s not about frequenting YouTube channels it was posted to the board.

Almost every youtuber and a lot of meme era in this board trashed the display and announced no one would buy it.
Lou is not almost every youtuber. Like I said, the one's I watched said it was the iPhone for most people. They all had their criticisms -what the liked/didn't like- but the consensus was it's the iPhone for the masses.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The article was a bit misleading and should probably clarify that it's the cheapest CURRENT generation iPhone.
It makes you wonder how many people who want an iPhone choose only from the models that Apple sells, without considering the earlier models that they could buy from their carrier or from stores like Best Buy or Walmart.

Reactions: FFR

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
It makes you wonder how many people who want an iPhone choose only from the models that Apple sells, without considering the earlier models that they could buy from their carrier or from stores like Best Buy or Walmart.

I think one of the big problems is that most users probably just don't know or care about the finer details. They go with need for a new phone for whatever reason and say "I need a new iPhone" and the clerk is more than happy to start at the most expensive, until they find the price point that's doable. Then pick the device.

the Xr sits in the $750 price point that used to be seen as "flagship current device". so if you were on a previous model, the Xr would be the lateral move to the new platform (Notched vs button).

I think when you just look at it, $999+ starting price will generally just be those who truly know what they want. For everyone else, the "default" will just end up the Xr.

I think this is just evidence that the $999 price point as starting point pushed the price ceiling a little too much. Even Apple isn't immune to basics of price elasticity.

Reactions: decypher44

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
FYI, the iPhone XR has a very serious hardware design flaw !

I/we first discovered it on Oct 27th, the first day we began testing our main app with it.

Took us awhile to figure out the root cause.

The "fancy" Performance Controller (i.e., cpu scheduler) design in the XR's A12 will cause an app to crash when the A12 is pushed hard.

This Hardware Bug ONLY affects High-Perf "CPU-oriented" apps.

To date, NO synthetic benchmark has discovered the issue.

To date, NO OTHER App Dev has discovered the issue.

I/we have tried repeatedly to Get the Word Out to Apple ... NO response ever from them !

As such, the XR has the potential to go down in history as the Great iPhone Cover Up !

Our main app has multiple layers of secret sauce code to limit the negative impact of the problem.

Have NO idea if Apple is able to Fix the Issue via software.

Anybody with our main app can verify that by setting the A11/A12 Bug Fix switch to OFF (see Settings for Photosets).

To us it's extremely sad that Apple chose to sweep this (issue) under the rug !

That told us ALOT about Tim Cook & Phil Schiller ... & maybe the apparently pre-anointed next CEO Jeff Williams.

A 2016 iPhone 7+ should NOT be able to run circles around a 2018 iPhone XR (with any app), but that is precisely what is happening !

At a MIN, the RE-sale value of the iPhone XR "may" plummet when this becomes Common Knowledge ... assuming Apple can't resolve the issue via software.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
They don't until you put one next to the other. Like no-one cares about overall brightness until we're outside and I can see my S10 without issue and my friend can't see squat.

Nobody does this in the real world. They care until the point they hear the XR is $250 less than XS.

Reactions: hancuriang

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
But, but...it has a 720P screen! No one would buy that in 2019! /s
Unfortunately too many Apple fans have to swallow their pride and go for the cheapest model even though they might much prefer the XS models. XR definitely can satisfy the needs for many people but lets not pretend that its popularity has any other reason but lower price.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Unfortunately too many Apple fans have to swallow their pride and go for the cheapest model even though they might much prefer the XS models. XR definitely can satisfy the needs for many people but lets not pretend that its popularity has any other reason but lower price.
Subjective and overly general post. Two things that don’t go together. Let’s not pretend any one poster knows the buying rational of the masses.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
Cheapest "new" iPhone is the most popular. Shocking

While it isn't shocking it isn't usual either.

The iPhone 5c didnt outsell the iPhone 5, the iPhone SE didnt outsell the iPhone 6s. The difference is now the flagship (Xs/Xs Max) are too expensive.
[doublepost=1563838240][/doublepost]

Yep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.