iPhone Xs - a phone with No Burn-In and No notch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blackbirdz, Nov 5, 2017.

1. blackbirdz macrumors member

Just saying that iPhone X Burn-In is real problem. The notch, while I could live with it, it looks so weird.
    Apple would release iPhone Xs with No Burn In and No notch. The 2 X that I have will return to the store tomorrow. Back using old iPhone 6.

2. Stewie macrumors 6502

Stewie

OLED have burn-in. There is nothing apple can do about that.

You might want to buy some 8's because they might be that last phones with LEDs.

3. 576316 macrumors 601

Next year's iPhone will basically be an X re-release at a 'standard' price, and hopefully a thinner notch, perfected FaceID etc.

4. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

I chuckled at the thinner notch part. :p

I personally think that the next iPhone will be more like this:
    • New color option?
    • New display size option
    • Stronger glass on front and/or back
    • IP68 water and dust resistance
    • Faster CPU + GPU
    • More RAM
    • Bigger aperture for both rear and front cameras (including telephoto lens)
    • Improved Face ID (although software improvements help too)

And you know, even some of that is pretty much wishful thinking. :rolleyes: But if they can manage all that without raising the price even further... that'd be great!

Btw, as for burn-in with OLED: like Stewie said, there's nothing Apple can do about it. It's just part of the OLED 'experience'. Every display technology has its own issues, even LCD of course. However, burn-in sounds like a more extreme problem, and now that Apple has made it official that your iPhone X might get it too people are getting extremely anxious about it. Almost like no other phone with OLED display has it and Apple is to be blamed when the first customer comes up with this issue.:rolleyes:

5. jayf macrumors member

Y’all need to chill out on the burn in. It’s not a problem yet, it’s a bunch of speculation. Apple says they mitigated the issue with software and power management. Give them a chance. In real world day to day interactions with people, I’ve never once heard that any galaxy phone is crappy due to burn in. A problem widely known in the models.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

7. TiggrToo macrumors 6502a

TiggrToo

You have evidence of burnin already, or just speculating?

If speculating, then why even buy the phone in the first place given that you had to know it had an OLED screen?

8. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68040

NovemberWhiskey

Because the average person has no idea what burn in is, that it is prevalent on OLEDs, and Apple only released/admitted to the problem after people bought their phones.

9. TiggrToo macrumors 6502a

TiggrToo

As to if average people know what burn in is- I'd say, yes, yes they do. One of my friends is an Android user but knows nothing about computers other than "My Windows keeps crashing" (yeah - it'll do that when you download malware twice a day) and they've been vocal about burn in on their Note 8 (they don't know the term, they do know what it looks like and that they've seen it before). Are they representative of everyone? Heck no, but they are, given their lack of phone and other experience, very average.

And Apple have not admitted to ANY problems with burnin - in fact, quite the opposite; they've stated that their screens are less likely to exhibit burnin.

Is this a true statement? Only time will tell - however the OP seem to be stating from their post that they had seen it already. Hence my question

10. TimFL1 macrumors 6502

Maybe in 5 years when Apple manages to produce big microLED screens en mass. Until then, enjoy that location icon burn-in... or is that pure black? I couldn't tell.

11. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

What? No way my friend. Apple tasted the money they could ask for the X. They will probaly only raise the prices in upcoming years now.

12. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I keep forgetting the phone even had a notch to be honest.

Man I’m so glad I’m over my tech geek stage in life lol and can just enjoy a device for what it is.

Life is way better this way lol

13. Lyn2012 macrumors 6502

For me next iPhone X with dual SIM - unlikely I know.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hate to break it to you, but the standard price is a 1,000 dollars - welcome to the new normal.

15. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

I don't expect the notch to go away next year. But it might get a smaller by 2019. I wish Apple would black out the status bar to remove the ears.

As for the price, blame Samsung charging Apple so much for the displays. Then again, blame Apple for relying on other companies when they should start acting like a true OEM that Samsung is capable of.

Apple can have recipes but they need to learn how to cook it themselves. Google relied on LG for the Pixel 2 XL displays and look what happened.

Apple and Google don't really have control like Samsung and LG do. Samsung can build phones completely in-house. Cook for yourselves. If you want to be a great musician, write your own songs.

2018 - iPhone Xs or XI, same design
    2019 - iPhone XI or XII, slightly modified
    2020 - iPhone XIs or XIII, same as 2019

Notch doesn't bother me. OLED burn-in would but we shall see whether Apple ever goes back to LCD or not. Price is only high because Samsung charges too high. The X would probably be nearly $100 less if LCD.

16. 576316 macrumors 601

Making the cheapest iPhone you can buy £1000 will hurt them. They cannot get away with X prices being standard. The X is still a niche product, and not something the majority of iPhone users had any intention of buying. Next year, the majority will be looking to upgrade and the X form factor will be Apple's only offering. They have to bring the prices back down to 'standard' but they raise prices every year so that'll still be more expensive than the iPhone 8.

If Apple want to ensure their products are accessible by the masses, they need to keep pricing 'sensible'. The vast majority will not spend £1000 on a phone.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2017 ---
    Absolutely no way. That would hurt Apple. The vast majority are not willing to pay that. That would be almost a £400 raise on the 'standard' iPhone if that were to happen next year. The X is a niche product and priced as such.

The price had a lot to do with the X being a 'premium' and 'exclusive' iPhone for the fanboys, but also to keep demand down because they knew they couldn't build enough of them. Exact reason the 8 exists and they didn't just release the X - because the vast majority of iPhone users due an upgrade were not going to spend £1000. Next year, the X will be the standard form factor and no longer exclusive - pricing has to reflect that.

17. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

The price of these new iPhones are not going down lol.

They will only get bigger, more techy, and cost more money. This years iPhone X is the beginning of a new generation of iPhones.

The price is the price.

18. 576316 macrumors 601

Then the masses will stop buying iPhones. The market is not as willing to drop £1k on a new phone as you seem to believe it is. The reaction to these extortionate monthly contracts for the X has been overwhelmingly negative with most, if not everyone I've heard from saying they'd never pay those prices and the X "just costs too much."

The X is an exclusive device priced as much, it won't be exclusive next year and the price will need to be closer to market standard.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For their flagship phone yes, Apple also offers lower priced models, to avoid this