iPhone XR IPhone XS LTE performance ‘crushes’ iPhone XR in cellular tests

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gelie, Nov 5, 2018.

1. FelixDerKater macrumors 68030

FelixDerKater

I am not seeing this in real life. Thus far, the Xr is pulling numbers almost 2x faster than my XS Max locally.

2. gelie thread starter macrumors 6502

We'll I bought one for my daughter and she was complaining her LTE was very slow. I thought it was a sim card problem. I guess not. i'll have to return it and pick up a 8+

3. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

In real life I don’t think the differences will matter.

4. doboy macrumors 68020

5. dotme macrumors 6502a

... which will likely perform about the same as the XR. It's not that the XR is slow, it's the XS that's fast. Having said that, the graph on the page you linked to showed the XR pulling up to 200mbps. I don't know how much speed people need, but that still seems very fast to me. For what it's worth, my XR seems just as fast as my old iPhone 8

6. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I don’t know about speeds, but driving through the middle of nothing out in the middle of nowhere my husband’s XS Max was consistently getting only 1-4 bars of 4G while my Xr was pulling in 1-4 bars of LTE on AT&T. Quite often I had 2 bars of LTE when his Max had only one bar of 4G. Nevertheless his phone streamed music flawlessly and my Xr did great pulling down web pages.

In real life, I am very happy with the Xr so far. Call quality has sounded good so far, too.

I forgot to add that having said all that, I would be happy for iPhone XS owners to have modem speeds that crush mine. They’re paying through the nose for that performance, after all. I hope they get it. I know when I bought my Max I was hoping for mad modem performance. I’m disappointed I had problems with the display and had to return it. And I appreciate that I can use the excellent Xr. But I also appreciate that I got some significant cost savings going with the Xr. I don’t begrudge any superior modem performance to the premium priced models.

7. threeonthetree macrumors member

In real life, my Xs Max and Xr are performing the same when it comes to LTE and cellular.

8. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

I agree with GrumpyMom the Xs and Xs Max should have better performance with the 4x4 mimo setup. I've been very satisfied with my overall LTE performance on my Xr. I too had issues with the Xs Max and that eventually lead me to the Xr. AT&T in my area I don't even remotely need to worry about getting speeds above 200mbps because it's not going to get that regardless, so having the ability to get 400mbps... for what? LOL

9. Hokie804 macrumors member

Hokie804

My XS has proven inferior to my 6S and iPad Air 2 on LTE. Been dealing with Apple Support, ever since. Never had to contact them for anything in the past.

10. pukrnukr macrumors member

My XS vs X LTE and WiFi is terrible. My XS constantly drops or has incredibly slow WiFi everywhere my X and past iPhones have worked fine. Same deal with the LTE. Constantly waiting on webpages to load when out the house.

11. Hokie804 macrumors member

Hokie804

Yep, if they don’t make this right, I’ll be sorry I switched from 6S.

12. Gamer-Dad macrumors regular

Gamer-Dad

My XR blows away the XS Max I had here and around the Baltimore area. Same with wifi when I'm at home. Didn't matter rather I was on 12.1 or 12.0.1.