iPhone XS IPhone XS Max Proximity Sensor Issues? Screen won’t wake during call when away from face intermitten

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dsc888, Sep 25, 2018.

1. dsc888 macrumors 6502

Hey Folks,

I’ve been noticing that during a call that the screen on my new Max sometimes won’t wake if I move the phone away from my face. This can occur if I have to enter numbers when I call into a company that has an automated phone system.

I’m using Apple’s own leather case and do have a full coverage temper glass protector over the whole screen. I can see all the little circular sensor openings under a light and it’s super clean.

The phone will ALWAYS black out instantly when I make a call and bring the screen to my face. But it seems if I move the phone gently away so I can look at it, the screen won’t wake and I will have to hit the POWER button to wake it.

Has anyone had this issue? Could it be hardware or software? I know we’ve only had the Max for a few days. I’ve Reset, Restored and even attempted to setup as a new iPhone to no avail. It’s like the proximity sensor works in one direction only sometimes.

Thanks so much!

2. ty07allstar macrumors member

3. mkz168 macrumors member

4. dsc888 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK. Thank you! In my case I noticed that if I keep moving the phone away from my face, it seems to keep the proximity sensor “active” and it’s less likely to happen. It’s almost as though the phone needs to sense physical movements to wake the screen.

Do you plan to exchange your phone? I have a good screen on my Max and hate to get a bad replacement unit.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2018 ---
    Thanks for the data point! Do you also have a XS? My old 7+ had no issue regardless of how much smudging. I wonder if the notched design has an inherent weakness. Maybe it’s just my unit.

5. mkz168 macrumors member

I have a 6s plus and have been dealing with it pretty often since I got pretty greasy face and swatting a lot. I got a xs Max coming in few days and will be reporting back on this issue.

6. ty07allstar macrumors member

I'm going to try restoring with iTunes tonight because I'm also having issues with the cell connectivity. Hopefully this fixes both issues.

7. dsc888 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK. Thank you so much and please keep us all posted! Enjoy your new Max!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2018 ---
    Oh really! I would like to hear back once you restore your phone. Good luck!

8. Dodino40 macrumors newbie

Dodino40

Hello Everyone, I have the same problem, but I also have a full glass screen protector. I tried to remove it, and everything worked perfectly. let's share the brand of the screen protector to figure out if it's an issue with a specific screen or the sensor. I'm using Tethys, which was the first available screen on Amazon.

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Covering the proximity sensor, even with a clear cover one can be a problem. If it reflects light back to the sensor it can think your face is blocking the light.

10. dsc888 thread starter macrumors 6502

BINGO!!! I removed the full screen tempered glass protector that looked absolutely amazing and my proximity sensor is back in business! A lot of folks will be in for a surprise when their XS Max/XS phones act up with those full glass protectors. Now I have to reorder the notched protectors for both my Max and my wife’s XS. Thanks to all those who chimes in.

11. dsc888, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018

dsc888 thread starter macrumors 6502

This is the one I bought. It's made by TETHYS also. So maybe we have the same item. It mentions "Edge to Edge" coverage. The items were truly premium down to the peel off labels on the back of the glass. It's got excellent ratings and absolutely looks gorgeous! I like that it extends much further to the edges with curved glass that is painted black. BUT my proximity sensor was flakey and was not playing nice until I finally took it off my XS Max. It's going back to Amazon today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FQY28GR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12. djpatrickb, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018

djpatrickb macrumors member

djpatrickb

Thank you! I was having this problem with the Tethys full glass protector. Sad cause I really liked this screen protector.

13. dsc888 thread starter macrumors 6502

I’m glad we have this problem figured out and resolved. It’s really too bad as the protector was absolutely gorgeous. Now I understand why most manufacturers leave the notch open and exposed.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2018 ---
    I’m glad we have this problem figured out and resolved. It’s really too bad as the protector was absolutely gorgeous. Now I understand why most manufacturers leave the notch open and exposed.

14. ty07allstar macrumors member

I’m using the Tethys too and the sensor sometimes works but most of the time it does not. Hopefully we can find a protector that does not affect the front sensor.

15. dsc888 thread starter macrumors 6502

I returned mine to Amazon and order one with the open notch. It appears the black band on the full screen ones block the sensor.

I think all of them will do it unless they make new ones without the painted edges.

16. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

17. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

What does that have to do with the proximity sensor?

18. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

No need for one. ;)

19. jiangning macrumors member

Try resetting the phone and set up as a new phone. I had same issue with X. Issue gone after I reset the phone.

20. marcosR75 macrumors newbie

Same protector I got, and Amazon is blocking them for reviews but still allowing people to purchase them showing 5/5 star review from previous mostly fake reviews. I put this in for a return. Shame because it went on real easy and looks great.

21. dsc888 thread starter macrumors 6502

That’s not right. If I were uninformed, I’d buy it and assume it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread. It’s not only them but probably all of the full coverage one with the black border that are faulty. I’m sure some owners might even go so far as to return their phones thinking they were defective.

Mine was just sent back to Amazon for a full refund. I ended up getting the Sparin 4 Pack for $8, which is an amazing deal. It’s not full coverage but I have zero proximity sensor issues with it installed. Plus it’s one of the thinner 0.25 mm designs which fall under Apple’s 0.30mm recommendation so the screen response is better when you type and use Force Touch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4PNWZW?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2018 ---
    Thanks but I did that TWICE and it didn’t function properly until I removed the screen protector. My new Sparin one with the open notch is allowing my proximity sensor to work as intended now.

22. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

The proximity sensor is the same shape as the earpiece and located above it. I noticed this the other day when out in the sun and I have just had a full screen protector delivered (was delayed and should have been here Saturday). It's still sealed and going back as I suspected the black band would affect the sensor as soon as I saw where it was located.

23. dsc888 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for sharing that tidbit. I suspected that it was there as the painted edge of the protector is only around the outer border. My guess is that the manufacturer didn’t have a fully functioning Xs Max on hand when they got the specs from Apple on the shape and size of the screen. They will fix this in the future once they get a ton of returns.

24. vikis macrumors newbie

vikis

Restoring the iPhone didn’t solve it. I’ve tried several times already.

25. Smoothie macrumors 6502a

Ugh. I'm expecting delivery of this screen protector today. I'm glad I saw this thread, as I'll just return it unopened.