iPhone XS smart battery case on iPhone 11 Pro **Works now after iOS 13.1 update

mlo0its

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2016
I wanted to post my experience. The iPhone 11 Pro DOES fit into the iPhone XS smart battery case, though very snug. And the power and volume buttons do work. however, the iPhone 11 pro does NOT charge from the case at all nor does it detect it as an "unsupported accessory". Also the ultra wide camera lens is obstructed by the case, however the other two lenses are unblocked. Maybe once the official smart battery cases for the iPhone 11 line are released, this will also be supported. But as of right now it's just a bulky and heavy case

Last edited:

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Just wanted to post my experience. The iPhone 11 Pro DOES fit into the iPhone XS smart battery case, though very snug. And the power and volume buttons do work. however, the iPhone 11 pro does NOT charge from the case at all nor does it detect it as an "unsupported accessory". Also the ultra wide camera lens is obstructed by the case, however the other two lenses are unblocked. Maybe once the official smart battery cases for the iPhone 11 line are released, this will also be supported. But as of right now it's just a bulky and heavy case
Thanks for the report. I’m traveling and have not had a chance to try the phone or my old battery case.

mlo0its

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2016
**Just an update, after updating to 13.1 (previously on 13.1 beta 4), the smart battery case DOES charge my iPhone 11 Pro. It may have worked on previous betas though because I realized that I might've not pushed the connector all the way into the phone.

Some issues though:

1. it is very tight in the case to the point where the down volume button is constantly pressed down. Surprisingly, you can increase the volume, however, lowering the volume requires this small hack: peel back the rubber piece slightly when you want to lower the volume to the point where you'll be able to press the down volume button.

**It is also quite difficult to remove the phone from the case and requires some effort to do so.

2. The ultra-wide camera is covered obviously, so it is like having an iPhone X/XS again (Wide and Tele lens are still usable)

In my opinion, a great way to reuse your iPhone X/XS smart battery case with your iPhone 11 Pro and add even more battery life (which may not be necessary with the increase in battery size) while we're waiting for a proper smart battery case to be released :)

james948

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2004
I used a knife to slice off the part of the case that blocked the camera. Works ok.