Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/09/24/iphone-xs-xs-max-wifi-lte-connectivity-issues/ - I think it’s a hardware issue in the XS as it has different WiFi modem than other iPhones.

I’ve had this iPhone Xs for a while now have noticed the wifi is slow. I checked this versus my iPhone 6s, 7, ans a 8 and it's constantly half the speed using various apps like WiFi Sweet Spots, any router, etc. It's also noticeable loading content from my local network too. What's going on?

I've tried both 5ghz and 2.4ghz, rebooted router, verified latest router firmware, rebooted phone, reset network settings on the phone, I don't have wifi assist on, disabled bluetooth all without any change. It's always about half the speed of the iPhone 6s.

The only time it seems close is if I'm literally standing right next to the router. Else if I'm a couple feet away, the Xs drops to half the speed.

Definitely something is wrong. I have Android (pixel XL OG) and have tested several data intensive app like Instagram side by side, no similar loading issue on the Android apps like you're suggesting. No issue either with my iPhone6. It's clear this is something on the XS.

People assume it's the wifi, but really it could be anywhere in the chain from app request for information to on screen rendering, burnswtning is up. I use this phone for work and can’t use it and have to use my older iPhone so I get faster speeds. Not happy.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/09/24/iphone-xs-xs-max-wifi-lte-connectivity-issues/ - I think it’s a hardware issue in the XS as it has different WiFi modem than other iPhones.

I’ve had this iPhone Xs for a while now have noticed the wifi is slow. I checked this versus my iPhone 6s, 7, ans a 8 and it's constantly half the speed using various apps like WiFi Sweet Spots, any router, etc. It's also noticeable loading content from my local network too. What's going on?

I've tried both 5ghz and 2.4ghz, rebooted router, verified latest router firmware, rebooted phone, reset network settings on the phone, I don't have wifi assist on, disabled bluetooth all without any change. It's always about half the speed of the iPhone 6s.

The only time it seems close is if I'm literally standing right next to the router. Else if I'm a couple feet away, the Xs drops to half the speed.

Definitely something is wrong. I have Android (pixel XL OG) and have tested several data intensive app like Instagram side by side, no similar loading issue on the Android apps like you're suggesting. No issue either with my iPhone6. It's clear this is something on the XS.

People assume it's the wifi, but really it could be anywhere in the chain from app request for information to on screen rendering, burnswtning is up. I use this phone for work and can’t use it and have to use my older iPhone so I get faster speeds. Not happy.

Can you take it to an Apple store and demonstrate the problem there and get a replacement? I have the XS Max and I believe it has the same WiFi chip and see WiFi performance comparable to all of my other devices - your experience seems indicative of a defective unit.

Edit - I see you're on the Beta release - have you tried the stock load?

anodibu

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
Mine is the same. I just tested it:

iPhone XS: 6,81 down, 4,36 up
iPad Pro: 46,9 down, 4,76 up

When I just bought it, it wasn’t like that. Already tried resetting network settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.