Iphone4 Car Kit installed: Video/Audio/Power 1 cable. Mix of Proclip and Arkon

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by cdebnil, Jun 30, 2010.

1. cdebnil macrumors regular

Got a new Iphone 4 last week. After playing with the GPS and realizing how much better it is than my previous 3g and my Garmin, decided to replace the Garmin with it. Used a mix of my old mount for my Garmin (Proclip), a universal mount from Arkon (so i can fit my case), Apple composite cable for audio and video to the G37 screen, and an AC/DC converter for power. End product is one cable for audio/video/power to my Iphone 4. One issue, the composite cable is FAT and is having issues staying on properly with the bumper on. Will fix the problem by using a dock extender. Overall it turned out ok.

Old garmin:
    [​IMG]

Old garmin:
    [​IMG]

Garmin removed:
    [​IMG]

Ball socket matched mount Arkon perfectly:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apple Composite Cable:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Walmart ac/dc power adapter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cdebnil thread starter macrumors regular

3. cdebnil thread starter macrumors regular

4. vynn macrumors member

5. cdebnil thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, i think i'm just going to have to dremmel my bumper...

6. sjoshi80 macrumors newbie

I recently purchased the iPhone 4 as well and currently have a 2007 G35. Your set up is pretty sweet. Can you play the video/gps while driving? I believe with the 2007 G35 that is not allowed bc I always get a "video will resume once stopped" message. Is this a new feature for the g37 or a navi upgrade?

Also do you have the model number of the Arkon universal mount(does it act as a device holder or was that from the Garmin?) I was thinking of purchasing the G35 Proclip mount but I might need a device holder as well

7. nbcbubba macrumors newbie

I've got a G37x, 2009 (without the Nav) and i get the same message as sjoshi80. Oddly enough, i purchased an AV cable setup similar to this one this weekend and had to take it back because i was unable to get the picture on the G's screen.

Cdebnil, If you're getting this to work, i'd LOVE to know how! Please share :)

8. noneother macrumors member

I have an 08 G35s. You can find ways to bypass the safety for video during driving on some G3x forums. It is a warranty issue. I haven't done it. More afraid to open the counsel the anything else

9. duncana macrumors newbie

Thanks for this great post! I've been struggling to find a solution for my iPhone 4 with the bumper in my Mazda 3, and I think I'll try something similar to what you've done. What is the part number of the Arkon universal mount you used, and what type of "dock extender" did you use to make it work with the bumper? Also, do you have to manually plug in the dock connector when you put the phone in, or is it stuck in place like a cradle where you can just drop it in?

Thanks!!

10. cdebnil thread starter macrumors regular

The reason the Arkon worked for me is because it used a ball mount system that I had left over from my Garmin...What I would do is just order the Proclip mount and the IPM 525 and drill your own holes. http://www.arkon.com/iPhone_4_Car_Mount.php

11. cdebnil thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, no can do while driving...Its actually very easy to bypass though. Basically open up the consol, cut 2 wires...ground one of the wires to a screw and tape up the other one..Also have to follow a engine reset procedure. My grand vision is to hack the video to allow video while in motion, jail break iphone 4, and output gps to my video screen in my car.

Here's a diy on how to hack the G37 video screen http://teamlags.com/infiniti-g37-video-bypasshack/

12. cdebnil thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't used a dock extender yet...I'm thinking of getting another case so am waiting to see whats out there before I buy the dock extender....Also I have to manually plug in the dock. Proclip did have pass through for the 3gs where you could just slide it in like a dock, but i remember it being unreasonably more expensive.

13. troop231 macrumors 603

Not sure why you need the power inverter if you're going right back to 12V (5V USB) lol

14. cdebnil thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, I was trying to recycle old stuff I already had...Total new investment was $12 (for the Arkon vent mount).

15. troop231 macrumors 603

Lol, still, ditch the inverter and Apple power wart and juse use a USB car adapter.

16. cdebnil thread starter macrumors regular