iPhone4 going on to 3G on standby and reconnects wifi when unlock?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by w3iiipu, Jul 17, 2010.

1. w3iiipu macrumors member

Ive been noticing this for a while but unable to confirm since i cant really reproduce it whenever i want.

Sometimes when i unlock my phone from standby, i see the 3G icon briefly before it changes to the WIFI icon. I am pretty sure i left the WIFI connected before i let to phone went on standby.
    Is this normal?

So the phone automatically switches to 3G after a while? If the phone is indeed on 3G while under standby, wouldn't the data (such as push notification and such) i received while the phone was on standby be counted towards my data plan?

Thanks and appreciate any insights to this matter.

2. Saxmax macrumors newbie

Same experience

I think we have the same EXACT same problem here. Have you found any information on this yet? I've also posted the same question on the Apple.com discussions - See link: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2558342&tstart=0

Apparently, people are saying that this is just normal for the iPhone 4. I'm just wondering how instant messaging apps (IM+, BeeJive, Fring, etc.) which rely on continuos connectivity will act to something like this. In my case, they keep disconnecting and connecting...it's a little bit annoying, frustrating.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, all iphones do and been doing that since the 1st gen.
    It shuts off wifi when not used and the screen is locked to save on battery.
    And yes, push and anything else that will use data that goes thru while in sleep mode will count towards your carrier data.
    But the amount of data used for a push notification is insignificant. The maximum size of a push notification is 256 bytes so you would really need alot of push notifications to start racking up charges.

4. Saxmax macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. Does this mean that if you have no cellular network connectivity in one area except for wifi, when your iPhone goes to sleep you also won't be receiving any push notifications or connection with instant messaging apps since by default it switches to your carrier data?

And a little off topic here, is this also true for iPad 3G + Wifi?

Thanks again.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, pretty much.
    You will get them as soon as u get signal again. And yes that's how the ipads work too.

6. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I was wondering the same thing for some time now. Useful post - thank you.