Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wings65288

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
i'm on a jailbroken iphone4, what do i gotta do to just update to the 4.3 and not be jailbroken anymore? is it as simple as just upgrading to 4.3 via itunes?

mcfadyen

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Wooh! I just did this and am now in an infinite Recovery Loop.
I tried Tiny Umbrella to kick it out to no avail.

Any suggestions?

mcfadyen

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Are you getting an error message when restoring?

Yeah, numerous ones. Most recent was error 1604.

All I did was try to restore/upgrade my phone...am done with jailbreaking for a while. Then it was put into an infinite loop pattern. Have tried the new tinyumbrella to kick it out, have tried DFU mode to custom firmware. Am now downloading 4.2.1 firmware and will try to restore via DFU to it from my hard drive.

Thanks for your help...

rockytopmoose

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
From my experience using TU, whenever you launch the program, it edits your phones host files on your computer which makes a simple restore not possible. I've had somewhat the same situation as yourself and found that editing the files fixed it. Here's a good guide on how to do it. Just make sure you quit terminal after you are done editing and before you try a restore ( the Control + x doesn't quit mine so I just did a file quit method). Anyway here's the link. Hope it helps! I know how frustrating this can be!

http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-itunes-error-1013-when-updating-iphone-4-to-ios-4.2.1/

mcfadyen

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
From my experience using TU, whenever you launch the program, it edits your phones host files on your computer which makes a simple restore not possible. I've had somewhat the same situation as yourself and found that editing the files fixed it. Here's a good guide on how to do it. Just make sure you quit terminal after you are done editing and before you try a restore ( the Control + x doesn't quit mine so I just did a file quit method). Anyway here's the link. Hope it helps! I know how frustrating this can be!

http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-itunes-error-1013-when-updating-iphone-4-to-ios-4.2.1/

WOW! THANK YOU!! I've spent the entire night trying to do this...I truly appreciate your help.

And Applejuiced - Thank you as well.

+ whatever to you both!

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
After you have installed 4.3 on the phone can you restore from a backup you made while jailbroken? The backup just saves user data right? Not system files and such.

rockytopmoose

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
I think you should be able to do so. But restoring to new phone settings may not be a bad idea either. Try it out and see how it is. If its slow or buggy, you'll probably need to restore as a new phone.

Bests

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.