iPhone4, won't let me restore from backup of my old phone. Help -- found a fix for me

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Scott-n-Houston, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

When I do restore from backup for this iPhone4 I just bought, my 3GS won't show up as an option for the restore.
    Only my wife's iPhone4 and her old 3G!? The 3G makes me wonder why my 3GS isn't showing up.

Any help?

2. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Found this thread which explains why.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1179215&highlight=restore+from+backup

I'm AT&T 4.3.3 trying to go to 4.2.8 on Verizon...

Is there a way to take my old phone back to an older iOS?

3. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Unfortunately, unless you have SHSH blobs for an older firmware, you can't go backwards. And if you have no idea what I'm talking about, you don't have them. Wish I had better news for you.

This is one of those things that drives me utterly nuts about Apple's environment. Rolling back firmware should be a normal function, not something you have to jump through hoops to do or can't do at all.

4. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah... I don't have 'em. I only know what they are after spending the last hour or 2 researching how to roll back.

So frustrating... some things I am not worried about. All contacts, etc are in MobileMe.

The main things that this hurts are:

1) Lost MMS/SMS conversations

2) App data! <- not as big an issue it would be on my iPad, but still a PITA. I have several apps with a good bit of data I will miss.

3) Notes (not a biggie)

4) call history -- not a huge deal, but I like having it

5) tons of settings on my phone I need to go re-do

6) voice mails... still on the old phone, but another annoyance

I'm sure there's more but that's off the top of my head.

5. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, what do you know.

I figured out a solution of sorts.

I went into Time Machine and restored the backup files from pre-upgrading the iOS on my 3GS.
    Now I can use that backup to restore to my iPhone4.
    The only down side is that I lose all my information that was created from 30th on... that's it. Woohoo!

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Cool beans!

On the notes portion, you could move those to the mobile me section and they would sync. I had no clue it did this, and couldn't figure out why I had a note on my new iPhone! Dork is me, but it's kinda cool.

7. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did discover that. Thanks for the tip. I realized that one note could be dangerous if it got on other devices that are shared by the family though. ;)

I keep this running 'gift list' for my family because when holidays come, I never know what to get, so whenever I hear or get an idea for a gift, I write it in notes.
    I may need another way of doing this now. :D