iPhone4s upgrading to iPhone5 question (activating the phone?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by musicianm, Sep 13, 2012.

1. musicianm macrumors member

Ok since most of the people who bought the iPhone4s are going to get screwed over by their provider when trying to buy the phone and resigning their contract, it is going to cost either $449 (16gb), or $549 (32gb).

I have a method of being able to buy the phone.

Since my mother is already on a plan, she is eligible for the full upgrade price of $299 for the 32gb.

What I am going to do, is pay for the iPhone5 under her contract, and switch out and give her my iPhone4s, and then take the iPhone5 and have it set up as mine.

My question is, will this work if I go into AT&T and tell them, we want to buy the iPhone5, she is going to renew her contract, but we want her set up with the 4s, and Me with the 5....??

2. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Buy the phone with your Mother's upgrade then bring both phones to an AT&T store and they can handle the switch for you.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You and a few thousand other people have discussed doing just this over the past few days. In fact, a few active threads from this morning discuss this.

But, I will repeat... do the upgrade. Then when you get the phone, do the device switch.

And, repeating what should be obvious, she will not be able to get a discounted upgrade for two years as you just obligated her to a 2 year contract.

And, the carriers are not screwing anybody. They offered a discounted phone with a 2 year contract. Simple stuff.

4. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I did this in person at an AT&T company (not third party) store in Dec. 2010 and everything went perfectly. I'd had good timing when adding my second line resulting in the fact that each line is eligible for upgrade in alternating years. :)

Get thee to an AT&T store after you receive the phone. They'll handle setting up everything for you.