Iphone5 4G uk Problmes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by youngpowr, Nov 1, 2012.

1. youngpowr macrumors newbie

Dear all ...

can someone please confirm this for me.

EE is the first network to provide 4G coverage in the UK, and i was thinking is to buy Iphone 5 and join EE. however the rest of the UK networks will have their 4G by next year that include Vodafone, O2,Three etc..

from what i understood is that iphone 5 currently selling in UK only works on EE 4G which is an absolute shame from Apple to do that . Its only works on the 18MHz.

So, if I would to be iphone 5 now from Uk it only works 4G from EE and next year when all other networks have their 4G ready I would need to get a new Iphone to be able to use their 4G

Thank you guys , hope this is enough calcification's.:)

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

this is not an apple thing, EE (and three next year sharing EE's 4G) will both be using the 1800mhz frequency, I'm not sure why they can't use the same frequency but as of next year O2, voda etc have to use a different frequency so since they are not up and running till next year (thank you EE :rolleyes:) there's no point supporting it till it's live.

yep you would need a new iPhone next year if you wanted to go elsewhere

hopefully that's all correct I'm sure someone can clear things up if I have something wrong

3. youngpowr thread starter macrumors newbie

I been waiting for iphone 5 all this time and now i found out that it doesn't support all 4G frequencies while the Samsung galaxy s3 do support it all . I think Apple is in big terrible here, . I can not seem to understand why Apple would do such a thing

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

If you look at the O2 site, you'll see that if you want to change to 4g they will exchange your phone for one compatible with their network frequencies.

By the way, it's nothing to do with Apple not supporting the frequencies. At the moment, nobody knows which frequency will be allocated to which provider.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That doesn't make any sense.

ALL 5 of the UK's existing networks offer the iPhone, so no matter what happens at the auction, the two types of upcoming 4G spectrum (800MHz and 2600MHz) WILL be used by the other operators.

Apple will need to support both of those frequencies in future devices if they want to support 4G in the whole of Europe - not just the UK.

6. youngpowr thread starter macrumors newbie

well i just ordered iphone 5 from EE , so hopefully I wont regret that later ..

but why doesn't apple put all frequencies in iphone 5 already?

also does it need hardware upgrade or software to add the new frequencies?

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

Hardware upgrade.