iPhone5 (att) LTE connectivity issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oplix, Oct 1, 2012.

1. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

I'm experiencing intermittent issues on my ATT ip5 in regards to LTE covered areas. The issue is that the phone will sometimes "dumb out" and basically won't connect to LTE even though it's fully available. The LTE toggle in settings usually clears up the issue. Switching off then back on allows it to fully reconnect.

Another issue is coming out of airplane mode, it will sometimes take a long time to connect to a network. I never had this kind of wait time on my iphone 4. Also sometimes coming out of airplane mode, it will not connect to LTE without a toggle reset.

Finally, from my experience it seems that there are bugs between the communication of the LTE/gsm chip and the phone's software. It seems like it does not properly search/acquire network connectivity in all locations. In some situations, it seems as though it will continue trying to connect to the last known cell tower instead of automatically refreshing and connecting to the closest one.

Any similar issues that people are experiencing, please leave a comment below.

2. oplix thread starter macrumors 65816

oplix

3. Jaytown macrumors newbie

I have a Verizon Iphone 5 and I experience the same issue. I occasionally drop from LTE to 3G, and sometimes the toggle fixes it. When it doesn't I usually restart and it connects no problem. Hopefully it's a software issue? I also experience incredibly low speeds on my home wifi (less than 1mb/s). I wonder if something might be wrong with my antennas?

4. Kase17 macrumors newbie

Your Not alone. I seem to be having this issue. I believe it might be from 2 problems. 1 maybe software issue. or 2, I believe we do not have a strong LTE Signal. In my situation I live in the westchester county. Thats north from NYC. When i visit my mother in manhattan I dont have issues with LTE due to the fact that LTE is stronger in the city. In the area that i live LTE is barely making it and its not fully rolled out up here officially. So since the 4g Signal is stronger than LTE I guess when i drive by a place with just 4g signal the phone has a hard time switching back to LTE. I have to switch airplane mode on and Im back to LTE. So im not sure if its because of software issues or if the phone is designed to stick to what is stronger as far as signal. Hope this helps.:)

5. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

You could check your LTE coverage on the map to see if it's fully deployed.. Before in my office near the World Trade Center in lower Manhattan, I would get zero service on my 4S and it showed 3 bars.

Now that I have the iPhone 5 with AT&T's LTE, I have 4 bars and have service in my office... only down side is the battery life on LTE is not that good

6. flashflooder macrumors regular

far as I can tell, it happens when your LTE signal gets weak. No biggie, as it actually switches quite fast.

HOWEVER, I've had the issue a couple of times where my phone will not connect to the internet after the switch, despite showing full 4G (HSPA+) signal. Only a full reboot of the phone, or (occasionally) a quick toggle of airplane mode will fix it. I've had this same problem since the 4S.

7. PaulNY macrumors member

I live in NY, but I work in Northern NJ, when I cross the state line into NJ I get LTE, when I'm on the NY side it dies out.

Yesterday I initiated a phone call in NY, right by the state line. When I crossed over into LTE territory, the phone dropped all data connectivity (Just said AT&T), call quality suffered.

I had to toggle Airplane mode for the device to regain a data connection (it jumped to LTE from Edge).

8. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I had a problem where, when waking up the phone, the network dropped to Edge. The only way to get back to 4G/LTE was to reboot. Did a "Network Reset" and it seems to have fixed the problem.

9. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

Are any of you in NYC experiencing no LTE connectivity? My iPhone stays on '4G' and not on 'LTE'

edit: I tried the airplane mode and rebooting, but no dice

10. donrsd macrumors 6502

donrsd

Im in South Florida where the entire area from West Palm Beach all the way down to the Keys has LTE :)

Sometimes my 16gb ATT iPhone 5 will drop LTE and be on 4g.
    A simple toggle of LTE off then back on fixes my issue.

I dont mind doing it, but if there was a fix for this I also wouldnt mind :)

As far as battery life......since LTE is everywhere around here, I get about what Apple claims, 8-9 hours of talktime and a ton of time on standby.

I came to work today with about 45-50% battery. I have used the iPhone heavily to play games, message, surf fantasy (blocked on work pc), etc and im only down to 21% from 7am est that I left my house (its now 1225pm est) :D

11. oplix thread starter macrumors 65816

oplix

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. It happens to me usually when I'm going out of my office building on Wall st in nyc. I'm doing a training program right now which is located in a basement floor. There is no service down there. When I come up to the ground floor, I'll switch my airplane mode off and it will take longer than usual to connect to the network. If I switch it off when I'm outside however it will connect immediately.

12. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Before the iPhone 5, I always had issues reconnecting to the networking coming out of the subway (no service there). I'd have to toggle airplane mode.

Now, it does connect pretty quickly, but it always connects to 4G rather than LTE when reconnecting from No Service. I have to toggle airplane mode and then I get 5 bars on LTE.

Also, sometimes it will randomly drop to 4G even though I have 5 bars on LTE.

Honestly, it's not a huge deal but it's annoying.

13. Kase17 macrumors newbie

14. Vengeful macrumors member

Vengeful

Getting the same problem on verizon too :( especially today I had no lte for the most part and 2 bars maxed that would just switch to 3G when I would try to use data. :(