iPhone5 going from AT&T to VZW. Already have iPad on VZW

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gowanis, Sep 15, 2012.

1. gowanis macrumors 6502

Just wanted to share my experience with VZW customer support, and see if someone could confirm or refute this process.

I have my iPad on a monthly 2GB, $30 Verizon plan. My iPhone5 will be porting from AT&T to Verizon. When I pre-ordered the iPhone on apple.com, I was not able to give my iPad's existing "phone number," it did not recognize the account. So I set up a "new" Verizon plan (4GB share everything), with the intent of merging the iPad into this new plan.

Spoke to Verizon this morning, they are telling me to activate and port my phone number when the iPhone arrives (through iTunes), and then I must bring my iPad to a Verizon location, because I will need a new sim card in the iPad. Its the only way to get my iPad moved to the new iPhone account. It cannot be done over the phone or on-line because the sim card has to be replaced.

Does this make sense? Thanks for your input.

2. tim100 macrumors 65816

why not cancel account on ipad then add it as a new device to iPhone acct.

3. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

That sure sounds like a more reasonable solution. I do have a VZW location fairly close to home, so it won't be a huge problem to bring both devices there and let them sort it out. I'm more concerned about the phone activating and transferring properly. :eek:

4. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

Or just drop the iPad altogether and use the hotspot feature from your iPhone to tether it? It'll save you $10/month.

5. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

If anyone is interested, I went to a VZW store today to ask the question again. The sales rep told me the same thing as the phone support; After I activate my new iPhone 5 and get that account going, VZW needs give me a new sim card. I cannot just cancel my existing pay as you go iPad account and then add it to my new iPhone account - I need to also replace the sim card. Sales rep was friendly and seemed to be knowledgeable, gave me his card with his personal cell number, and told me to call when my phone is ported and he would set up the account prior to my arrival in the store. We shall see...

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

You should not need a new sim.
    It's not a difficult process to do over the phone as long as the people you talk to speak your native language.
    Be at sweet as possible when you call the tech support line. Tell them you went to the store and the werent able to help you and recommended that you speak to a second level tech. This level of tech support can play with the sim assignments.
    I had to do this when I moved my jet pack plan on,y to an iPad/iPhone shared plan.
    Once I got the second level tech my iPad flashed several times then the Verizon LTE appeared. I still have the original sim

7. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

Its so frustrating how you can call them multiple times, and get a different answer every time. I suppose I will give it a shot over the phone like you suggested, and then bring it to the VZW store if that fails.

I would imagine there will be many people in my situation.