iPhone5 Hot

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wliew, Sep 21, 2012.

1. wliew macrumors newbie

Hi,

Got my iPhone5 today! Everything was ok until i realise the it is gulping on the battery juice. And it is hot as well. I tried switching everything off accept for the cellular and appreciate if you can advise what other features i need to turn off to stop loosing my battery juice.

Thanks.

2. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

The iPhone 5 IS the new hotness. What did you expect?

3. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

So...is this your first iPhone or are you restoring from an iCloud backup (Or even an iTunes backup?)

If you are restoring it will drain quickly as it is downloading and installing applications/photos/videos constantly, until it is restored.

Also the initial charge usually isn't a full charge, so after you charge to 100% for the first time it should last longer.

4. wliew thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey jclardy,

I am starting the iphone anew. not even restoring from my iphone 4 or cloud. i just finish charging it to 100% and just showing off to my husband by opening the map and other applications, its gone down to 92% in within 15 minutes. afraid it might not last me the 8 hours as it is claimed.

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Battery life is never what any company claims.

The biggest drain is the display. I turn off auto brightness & set my to only 20%. That helps but it's still not 8 hrs.

Those that claim they get 8 are either telling stories to make Apple look good or barely using it.

I don't mind. I'd rather have the truth. I carry a charger and that solves it. No big deal, it's a great phone.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That's not normal. Exchange it.

7. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

I noticed my iP5 was also hot after activating and having all my apps downloading. Was using Siri for like 5 mins or so and it got hot big time. I hope it's just cause of it updating and installing. Would suck if it's like for long term. I guess we'll see.

8. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Mine got hot, but only when charging it. Actually it wasn't very hot, it was just warm.

9. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Same here. Battery drained at an alarming rate.

However, I've owned enough phones to know that we should give it a try.

Drain it 2-3 times.. then watch actual life.. if it's not better you have a lemon.

I'm TRYING to remain optimistic but I've complained about the i5 battery since the details were first (rumor) leaked. I wish Apple would pay more attention to battery life.

10. brberg macrumors member

My new phone is getting very warm in the back. This is with simply browsing the web with brightness set to the lowest setting. Can't imagine how hot it would be if I was playing a game. I think this is going back to Apple shortly. Pretty disappointed.

11. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Hot is such a "loose" description. There is hot and there is warm. It is perfectly normal for your phone to get warm, but it is not normal for it to get hot unless playing graphic games for long periods of time watching movies.

12. brberg macrumors member

Warm enough?

Mine is getting warm enough to make my palm sweaty, and I normally have dry hands. Again, this is only with basic web browsing and screen brightness all the way down. Sadly, this might be the first apple product I outright return because of all the issues.

13. RappleRapple macrumors member

Ask my MacBook, iPhone, Steve Jobs or my wife!
    I was tinkering with my 5 and 4 for a few hours last night and the 5 was much...much hotter.

We'll see I guess. ;)

14. yodboy macrumors newbie

I had facetime over wifi for almost an hour, consuming about 20% battery but not too hot

15. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

I had the heat, and iTunes issue. Did a complete restore at home with the previous nights backup from the 4 running iOS 6.

Fixed everything. Not sure what it was. Something was corrupt on the phone after the activation/iCloud download at the Apple Store.

It was as if the phone was attempting to force me to use iCloud for everything all the time?

Lovin it now though. Dam LTE is FAST!! :apple:

16. wliew thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, as the phone feels hotter and hotter, the battery juice keep draining by the minutes.

Anyway, i had it all drained till shutdown and recharge the phone overnight till 100%. Unplucked the charger at 8.30AM, and now is 4.52PM and the battery is 72%. Battery not as good as the iphone 4 used with same amount of stuff turn on. Now the iphone5 is normal and not feeling overheating.

At least now i don't feel alone in this. I still think the battery is draining too fast compared to iPhone4. Same amount of apps usage, i.e., email, whatsapp, sms.

17. ManuCH macrumors 6502

So how hot is everyone's iPhone 5? I find mine to be noticeably warmer than my 4S when doing equivalent things (surfing over Wifi or 3G, for example).

The most I could heat it up so far was by recording video. I let it sit there on a wooden table, recording video for 15 minutes. After that, it was too warm for my liking. Unfortunately I don't have an IR thermometer, but by guesstimating (holding it to my cheek) I would say it heated up to about 40C / 104F. I'd define it "uncomfortable to hold".

When stopping the recording, it would drop down to normal (cool) within 2-3 minutes.

A friend who did the same test said his would only become "a bit warm". Yes, it's very subjective, I know, but still...

Could you guys perform the same test and report what the results are? Thanks :)

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Metal back compared to glass back might make a difference with internal heat spread.

19. ManuCH macrumors 6502

I absolutely agree. What I don't understand is that other people are saying their iPhone 5 is actually cooler than the 4S.

20. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

I did measure with IR thermometer the back of my iPhone 5 and iPhone 4 when video recording. There isn't a huge temperature difference with the two.

By the camera, I measured 39C on the 5 and 40C on the 4. In the middle, it was 36C for the 5 and 34C for the 4. Idle temp for both measured 26C

21. ManuCH macrumors 6502

Interesting, thank you.

Now another friend just told me that he used Navigon (for GPS navigation) during a 45 minute drive, and it only became barely warm, nothing that he would notice. Weird.

22. protobiont macrumors 6502a

I think the iPhone 5 has stellar battery. The attached screen is after a day of moderate use... some navigation (minimal), web browsing, light gaming, podcast streaming and listening, playing with settings, managing contact list, emailing, texting, etc.

Definitely leaps and bounds beyond what my 4s was giving me.

Attached Files:

23. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I don't doubt you at all. There's quite a great deal of inconsistency when it comes to battery life, iOS 6 and iPhone 5.

Given some time I believe Apple will get it sorted out. In the mean time celebrate the fact you have one that is not short lived.

I'm in no way criticizing the battery situation, as it's more a sign of a new iOS that simply needs to be debugged.

What I am quite disappointed in, is Apple releasing this with the number of unsolved issues it has.

24. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Mine got hot a couple times, the first of which was early on after restoring from iTunes when activated. I did a hard reset (hold power/home buttons together until white apple shows up, then let go) whenever it started to get warm. Seemed to take care of it. No problems since lately, e specially since I've finished all the tweaking, playing, etc that goes with a new device.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The iPhone 5 is cool:)