iphone5 owners: why updated to a 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Romf, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Romf, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013

Romf macrumors regular

Romf

OK, so I was just reading about these people around here who have an iphone5 and plan on upgrading for the 5S.

But really, if the 5S has only what the rumors say (so, let's say better camera, better processor and fingerprint sensor), I don't really see any reason to upgrade.
    I'm a technology addict and love to have the latest hardware but here, my iphone5 is still working perfectly and flawlessly, so is everyone's iphone5 i guess. For me, the 5S is the phone you would buy if you had an older iphone, or no iphone at all, but if you own a 5:confused:
    I'd just like to know what is driving your wish to change a phone like the iphone5, and what flaws do you think it has that make you want to change it :)

EDIT: and yes, this question is for people who can't upgrade for free-or-nearly due to their contract :)

2. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I'm doing it because I can.

Sold my 5 for $525, buying a 5S for $199 or $299 on contract. Get the latest AND make some money.

Why not?

3. Romf thread starter macrumors regular

Romf

Ok that's a perfectly understandable reason, didn't think about it - although I did it with the 4 :)

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

My contract with AT&T is up. If I don't get a new phone then I still have to pay the $20 a month subsidy. :(

Might as well upgrade my 5 to a 5S. :cool:

5. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Because it's virtually free. The money saved on being on a prepaid plan easily pays for a new phone with money left over.

Plus I'm kind of excited about the FP sensor, I'm hoping Apple incorporates it into other passwords as well like internet passwords and such.

6. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I have done this since the 3GS!. I truly don't understand why people hold on to the same iphone for 2 years + when you could this and have the latest iphone yearly. I guess some people aren't slick enough.

7. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

How did your contract "end" in less than 12 months? Is it another line on a fam plan?

8. Romf thread starter macrumors regular

Romf

linked to icloud keychain? Yes, that could be nice 8)

So let's make the question a little more precise and think about someone who doesn't have prepaid plan or can't upgrade for virtually free :D

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

I paid full price last year which doesn't extend the contract. :)

10. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Another one of these post?! ANOTHER ONE?!

OP's all I don't have fat stacks to buy the latest and greatest so why should anyone one else...

Go make some Cheddar OP. Then you can buy whatever the frig you want, yo...

11. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I have a 5, joined a mobile share plan with my own phone, so I can upgrade whenever I want. But, I'm happy with my 5 so I will wait until the 6 next year. But I cannot wait to get my hands on iOS 7! :D

12. Romf thread starter macrumors regular

Romf

another one and yet you find the time to come post some interesting stuff in one of these posts :rolleyes:

13. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Yes. I'm going to haunt all you b****es. Yo

14. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

If there is a 128GB option, then that will be a reason to upgrade.

15. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I don't think I'd burn a $199 upgrade on the 5S, although I won't say definitely no. I'm not sure how excited to be about the FP sensor yet. If it only lets me unlock my phone and nothing else then I won't be excited at all and may even start looking at the Note 3 or something else. But if Apple truly does use their common sense and incorporate the sensor into other password activities on the phone then I'll be much more excited.

16. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I have an upgrade open on my plan. The 4 my dad is using (my old one) has a rapidly failing home button. I was going to get myself a 5S and give him my 5 and trade in my 4 somewhere. If there is nothing else new about the 5S, I think I might just tell my dad to get whatever iPhone is free this year. Or I'll see if I can find a deal on a 64 gig white later this week.

17. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I'm on the fence about this. I'm with T-Mobile and my iPhone 5 is paid off so I'm waiting to see what the 5S has. I've been hearing some people say that the 5S may only have a 8MP camera with a better flash and if thats the case I'll be sticking with my 5.

Gotta say, I really do enjoy the flexibility that T-Mobile has given me as far as being able to upgrade my device anytime I want to.

18. CEmajr macrumors 601

I'm on Tmobile and my 5 is factory unlocked 32GB. Should at least be able to get $400-450 for it. Might as well upgrade.

19. billycuth macrumors 6502a

How can you do that if the 5 isn't even off contract yet? It's 24 months now under the new rules. No matter what.

20. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I'm on a family plan that has 5 phone lines and 2 iPad lines. Also, my wife is on a family plan that has 3 phone lines. Generally speaking, I'm the only one in my family willing to drop even the subsidized costs of the device every year.

This year I've used my mother-in-law's upgrade for a GS4, my early upgrade for an HTC One and will be using my mother's upgrade for the 5S. I sold the One to pay for the GS4 (and then some). I really only ever have 2 phones at a time - though I'd like to expand that to 4, which would include a cheaper iPhone and cheaper Android phone as backups (iPhone 5C and Nexus 5).

She's fine with it because she can use her iPad upgrade next September.

My wife doesn't care to upgrade but every 2 years or so, her mother and grandma couldn't care less AT ALL (one has a 4S and one has a 5) and my siblings upgrade every two years on their own plans.

So I get to pick between my phone, my iPad, one of my mom's lines (phone or iPad), and at least 1 of my wife's family's lines - giving me 4-6 lines at my disposal.

;)

21. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Im passing on the 5S, but I agree with the sentiment that you need to use your $199 upgrade. I am selling the 5 for $400-$500 and getting the One or S4 for $199. No need to sit on an upgrade.

The Note 3 is a beast, but it is definitely too big for me.

22. kre62 macrumors 68000

Heres another post on not understanding why its even a question. Because the iPhone holds its value so well, you will pay less or MAKE money to upgrade each year.

Last year I sold my 4S for 450, paid 450 for an early upgrade, then got a $200 credit from AT&T. I made 200.

This year I'll sell my 5 for 550, buy the 5S for 650, no contract extension, only cost 100 which is 100 LESS than some guy buying on contract.

Its a no brainer, and people who don't do it are not smart.

23. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Or simply don't care enough to go through the hassle of selling their current phone.

It can be a pain sometimes dealing with online selling.....currently going through a chargeback issue on my HTC One sale....the phone was delivered over 2 weeks ago and I'm now out those funds until PayPal can investigate....

Confident I'm covered as I shipped to the address provided by both eBay and PayPal for this buyer, but irritating nonetheless. If I didn't care about getting the new stuff, I wouldn't do it just to make money......

Especially when I had to talk my mom into letting me use her upgrade :D

24. thedeske macrumors 6502a

As a person several people call for advice each year (on several things Apple), I spend the money as a favor and service to those friends/clients. I didn't do this until iPhone4 and above. It was apparent the best way to answer questions was to own and use the latest. I don't consider the 5 dramatically better than the 4 or 4s in basic every day tasks (it is to a degree) but it is evolved. The 2013 model will likely continue the tradition & yes it's about profit. I've already advised 2 people to skip this model, BUT there could be something that attracts one of them to the device.

I'll admit, I still get a little pleasure setting up the new one each year, but it will never be like the first time. iPhones are ubiquitous devices these days.

25. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

Ofcourse i'll get the 5s. I always upgrade.
    And will probably get two of them, one to replace my current 5, one to replace my secondary phone (a pos nokia with wp).;)

I'll probably buy a 5c, too. A green one for my goomah. :D