iPhone5 switches on ATT 4G for voice calls! ATT cheating?!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AnalyzeThis, Oct 13, 2012.

1. AnalyzeThis macrumors 6502

I got my iPhone5 for a while and happen to reside in LTE area. Since yesterday, I have noticed - all my iPhone5 are switching to 4G when making voice calls. I do not recall seeing this flip-flop before. I observed this pattern in PA and DE.

Is ATT are cheating their customers when they advertise LTE availability?

Do you see the same pattern on yours?

So much for LTE, cheap skates @ ATT. U r Busted

2. blue43fan macrumors regular

Would you rather stay on LTE, but not be able to use data while on a call? That's what would happen, as the iPhone 5 does not support voice and data simultaneously on LTE. Just ask Sprint and Verizon customers. Personally, I think it's an acceptable trade off.

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Not Verizon nor att do voice over lte

That's called volte. They'll roll pit this technology in the coking years likely.

4. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

Ummm, because nobody does voice over LTE (VoLTE) yet.

5. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

It's normal. It does the same thing on other AT&T LTE devices. The phone will drop to HSPA+ in calls.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How is that cheating? Does your calls suffer, do they drop more?

FWIW, verizon uses CDMA when making calls on the iPhone 5, not LTE. I don't care what it uses as long as the quality of the calls is high and they don't drop

7. Charadis, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2012

Charadis macrumors 6502a

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is there any advantage to this? I'm not knocking it because its not on the iPhone but rather as a consumer do I really care what technology my phone uses for voice? as I posted as long as the quality of the call and it doesn't drop is there I don't care what it uses.

9. tl01 macrumors 65816

What is the downside of 4g for phone calls? I don't need faster phone calls. LTE is much spottier than 4g here so it seems like 4g would be a better idea anyway for now.

10. dchao macrumors 6502a

LOL, you can't really sue them for false advertising, since AT&T/VZW has redefined HSPA+ as "4G". LTE is also "4G". So you are just flip-flopping from 4G to 4G, and there is no difference at all.

We, the consumers, will never win. :D

11. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Welcome to three weeks ago.

Most LTE networks aren't capable of voice over LTE. On Verizon, the situation is even worse: on a call, you drop to CDMA, which means voice and no data, unless you're connected to Wifi.

Nope. LTE is available.

Yep. Completely normal behavior.

Actually, if you want to blame someone for being "cheap," blame Apple. The way around this situation is to have two modems, so that two connections can be maintained during a voice call. But they only equipped the iPhone 5 with one.

In any case, HSPA isn't exactly a slowpoke network, and is still leagues better than no data at all on a call like Verizon or Sprint.

13. Charadis, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2012

Charadis macrumors 6502a

I've read that the phones capable of SVLTE have a third antenna built in specifically to handle LTE while voice data can still be received/transmitted with a separate antenna.

From other speculation, I've heard that that it may also have to do with the LTE and CDMA built onto a single chip, a point that was touted in Apple's iPhone 5 announcement for contributing to the thinness of the phone.

-C

14. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I love how people are to blaming AT&T, it's pathetic. OP needs to do some research because it is Apple, who was lazy. Other LTE phones can do LTE data while calling over HSPA/CDMA, but Apple, in its infinite wisdom, decided not to do it.

15. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

I guess he wants the person to pick up the phone faster.. :rolleyes:

16. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

T-Mobile is the one who started up the "HSPA+ is 4G" and AT&T was forced to follow suit to remain competitive in it's marketing... against T-Mobile and especially Verizon.

Verizon actually DID have a 4G network in LTE. As a matter of fact, at the VZW iPhone 4 announcement... the Verizon CEO joked about the other carriers "4G" and based upon the speed difference, they have considered calling their LTE network "6G".

----------

Apple can't do it if the networks don't yet support it. :rolleyes:

17. AnalyzeThis, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

AnalyzeThis thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, it did suffer. I got my first dropped call on Iphone5. This probably made me check what it shows on the screen. I did not care before as it did not drop any call yet. The consecutive call was full of crackling and other noise. Yes Galaxy S2/3 do the same. The after math of this switch - it degrades both voice and data to 4G during call and for a few minutes after the call. LTE is very fast, but 4G degrade is "unbeara-a-a-a-ble". So LTE seems to be limited to internet only right now. So Iphone6 may offer LTE data during 3G calls, iPhone7 will finally deliver LTE Call+data. Pretty lucrative upgrade path, is it not?

18. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Dude. LTE is data only for everyone right now. All networks. I saw the same thing happening, spent 5 minutes reading on up on LTE, and realized this is how it's supposed to work as no one is doing Voice over LTE yet in the US. Move on...

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will be ok with HSPA+ for data while on a call.
    Trust me:)

20. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Actually he won't be getting HSPA+ speeds during a call on AT&T. He'll be getting about 512Kbps.

AT&T throttles ALL speeds during calls for some stupid reason.

21. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

If it gets VoLTE it will be able to. Then it can do voice over LTE and data over CDMA.

No. Voice over LTE is no different than voice over 3G in terms of quality, really.

It just opens up another channel for data.

AT&T clearly tries to screw the average consumer into thinking that their HSPDA network is 4G, the same as LTE, which it definitely isn't.

But again, the FCC is too stupid to step in and regulate.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Weird.
    Even though he is connected to 3G+ he's still throttled? And that's only during a call?
    I dont get why they would do that.

23. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

25. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Currently, LTE cannot handle voice calls. Only data.
    Therefore, you get dropped to 4G when taking a call. It's not because of poor signal.

AT&T advertises simultaneous data and voice, which still works ... on 4G.