iPhone5 vs point&shoot

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by turtlez, Oct 3, 2012.

1. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

Is the iPhone 5 good enough to replace point and shoot cameras yet? Also are there any underwater housing cases for the iPhone5 to do underwater photography? Thanks!

2. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

No. Depends on which cameras you want to compare it to but the general conciseness is.. No.

I would wait for the LifeProof case to come out.

3. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

for the way the average user views pictures on iPads, iPhones, and computer screens, absolutely the camera can take the place.

as far as quality prints above your typical 4x6, no.

depends on your end use.

4. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

The biggest problem is the lack of optical zoom and lack of flash power. For general daytime, wide shots...absolutely

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

For the casual snapshot, iPhone's OK.

As a point & shoot replacement, not even close.

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

For sunny day use without use of zoom, photos are amazing. You need a point and shoot for other means of taking photos.

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

8. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I actually have some 8x10 prints on my wall that I took with my iPhone (4 mostly, will probably add some from the 5 in the coming months). Oh, and I have two 11x14 prints that I took too. That was pushing it, but the occasion and lighting were good enough to compensate.

Yes, most contemporary P&S cameras are better, but since I always have my iPhone with me, I have more of an opportunity to take good shots. I worry less about making sure I have my P&S with me, just in case.

9. hachiman macrumors regular

Snack-size Ziplock bag. Test the bag for leaks before actually using it.

If you don't take underwater photos often, it's not worth buying a bulky case just for that. It'll end up in the trash eventually.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

these two things. Unless you are really into taking photographs it will replace everything else. I have zero need for any other camera aside from the one on my phone.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It depends on the point and shoot, but in lower light conditions there is no way my 5 will beat my Canon S100.

12. noteple macrumors 65816

Don't know if its good enough but like the 4s it has been replacing point and shoots on photo sharing sites.

The camera you have with you is infinitely better then the one you don't.

Check out dpreview.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6867454450/quick-review-apple-iphone-5-camera

13. FieldingMellish Suspended

It is, if you are comparing it to a point and shoot that lacks manual controls, has limited zoom range, lacks a true flash and is physically small and flat.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Almost, but no optical zoom means you still need a P&S for events where telephoto is needed.

15. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Annie Liebovitz: She recommends the iPhone as a Point and Shoot. Reasoning? The Best Camera in the world is the one with you....

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/16/what-camera-to-buy-annie-leibovitz-recommends-the-iphone/

In my house we had two Canon point and shoots and a Canon DSLR, today all we have is iPhones and a newer Canon DSLR (sold the two point and shoots and I upgraded my DSLR). For 90% of the photos we take, we use our iPhones because it is about capturing the moment and being able to share with everyone right now (without having to pull a memory card, downloading it to a computer, then uploading it somewhere). When we know it will be a special occasion or we are taking more portrait type photos, we bust out the DSLR.

As for the question about underwater case, if this is what you want to take photos for though, I really recommend you get a point and shoot then. Frankly I wouldn't take my $600+ DSLR or my $600+ iPhone underwater. I would much rather take a $150 P&S just in case (what if I didn't get the case snapped shut right? oy).

16. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

No. Optical zoom and far superior sensors on the higher-end P&S cameras will see to it that they stay ahead of smartphones.

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Always true, but for a planned event -- graduation, big vacation, etc. it's not the one you want with you. All of the pics I take w/ the iPhone are ones that I would have never taken if the iPhone wasn't in my pocket, but all the pics I take with either my P&S or DSLR are ones I intended to take with those cameras and grateful I did.

18. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I agree. But that is why we still have our DSLR for that purpose. We will bust that out for important events. For everything else where we used our point and shoots, the iPhone wins. My wife used to carry around her Cell phone and her point and shoot, and now it's just her iPhone 4S.

19. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Well not necessarily although iPhone photos give you the ability to edit and upload on the go so that is one up than having a point & shoot camera.

The iPhone doesn't have optical zoom which is a must for serious photographers.

It's really getting close to a Point & shoot but the reason why I stick with using an iPhone to take pictures is the fact that I can edit the photo and upload without the need of a computer.

I use apps such as Camera+, Snapseed, Afterfocus (depth of field app), ColorBlast, & Picframe.

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, but I'm talking about the times when a DSLR is too much camera, and an iPhone is too little camera. Each has a place and fills a need, but I don't think the iPhone is a serious substitute P&S yet. It needs 5X or greater optical zoom to take over that role. I regard the iPhone as a true "snapshot" camera, a modern day Instamatic -- for the times when that "Kodak moment" sneaks up on you and you happen to have a camera in your pocket. (I don't think most people carry around a P&S with them daily like a phone).

21. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Really? Would you really do this?

22. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

This is the exact reason why I still have a point and shoot.

iPhone 5 = my "always with me quick spontaneous occasion" camera.

Panny ZS20 = When better quality shots with optical zoom are desired for occasions and a DSLR is too much camera.

Nikon D300 = My go to camera for events where the highest photo quality is required.

As I've mentioned in other posts, each "genre" of camera has it purposes, IMO. However, if all you plan on doing is taking pictures to show others on your phone, tablet, or Facebook, then the iPhone camera is enough for you.

In the end, you need to determine what you photography goals and purposes are. This will determine whether or not you will need anything more than an iPhone (or any smartphone) camera.

BTW, if I am carrying my messenger bag with me, I have my iPhone, iPad, and my point and shoot camera with me.

23. appswipe macrumors 6502

My opinion, its not P&S quality yet. You can take some amazing photos of flowers and food if given optimal conditions, but with no adjustment of shutter speed or exposure, and no optical zoom then it is a limited device that takes terrible pictures of my hyperactive kids.

That said, I absolutely love having this quality of a camera on a phone and my only complaint is that I wish they didnt go thinner so that they could use that extra space to give us a larger sensor and better optics.

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'd rather say that the iPhone doesn't replace a second camera, but that it does kill the need for a third.

If you have an iPhone and a Point-and-Shoot, cool.
    If you have an iPhone and an SLR, also cool.

But I no longer see the need to have all 3 like you may have wanted in the past. The iPhone has gotten good enough to be "your 2nd camera," no matter what your 1st camera is.

EDIT: I should clarify that the phrase "when an SLR is too much camera" makes no sense to me at all. If it does for you then I suppose your opinion will differ from mine.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You meant to say:

For the casual snapshot, iPhone's OK.

As a DSLR replacement, not even close.

The iPhone actually has shorter shutter lags compared to even high end P&S cameras of a few years ago.