iPhone5 - where are the bumpers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jgayman, Sep 14, 2012.

1. jgayman macrumors member

I haven't seen any mention of a bumper being offered for the iPhone5. I've had one on my iPhone4 since day one and it has been very effective protecting it when dropped. It seems odd that there is no mention of new bumpers (or any Apple case) for the iPhone5.

2. dagored macrumors 65816

No bumpers for 5. Not needed. Remember antennagate.

3. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

both of my bumpers sucked (black and blue). torn, faded, peeling, scratched my iPhone. no thanks!

4. AriaAmante macrumors member

I wish they had had something available for purchase as far as cases when I pre ordered last night. My iPhone is in a case 99.9% of the time, I'd like to have one for my new 5 at least in the beginning.

5. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I don't think the bumpers were made for the antenna problem. The bumper was available at launch and apple's special conference came afterwards.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Don't worry, new cases will be available in stores by the time your new phone arrives...

7. darthbane2k macrumors 6502

Apple knew about the problem ahead of launch and behind closed doors.

8. AriaAmante macrumors member

I'm going to swing by the AT&T store next Friday after my phone is delivered to have them make sure I get everything switched over correctly, hopefully you're right! :)

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The reason the bumper was available at launch was because Steve Jobs already new they were shipping with a sub standard, compromised antenna. That was well documented in the Wall Street Journal.

When advised of the problem months before launch, Steve flew into a rage and told the engineers to stuff it.

When the public outcry came, Steve got offended & outraged. Holding a press conference he spoke condescendingly to his loyal customers, acting like we are idiots he told us off. Saying "You're Holding It Wrong".

What a swell guy :)

Yet I will admit after I attended Apples class on how to hold my cell phone, the problem stayed the same, but I felt better :eek:

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Oh ok. My apologies.

11. JesalTV Guest

Won't be necessary now, thank god.

Honestly, took my iPhone 4 out of the case last week and the old Antenna-gate problems just came flooding right back. What a joke.

The iPhone 5 should be fine now and I'll be carrying it sans case.

12. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I ordered from Verizon and there were a bunch of different cases offered during checkout. In fact, the whole ordering process was smooth as silk.

Sounds like Apple.com had all kinds of issues. I'm glad I didn't even try it.

13. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

After the smoke cleared from the Applegate scam, Apple advertised for Antenna Engineers, hired several & put them to work. This new iPhone 5 is the first year without the failed perimeter band style that was Steve Jobs idea.

The new twin antennas are at each end of the phone. Finally Apple has a well designed system.

14. JesalTV Guest

What annoys me so much is that it was a phone that couldn't reliably make phonecalls!

15. AriaAmante macrumors member

I ordered from the Apple Store app right at 2 CT and my order was processed within minutes. I was actually shocked at how easy it was, just bummed there were no cases. It's nice that Verizon already has accessories available, hopefully that means AT&T will in store next week.

16. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Um...the 4S fixed this problem last year. There is no attenuation on the 4S from the 'death grip.' The dual antenna stuff was implemented in the 4S and carried over to the 5.

17. technopimp macrumors 6502a

How dare you speak ill of the great iPhone 4! Not everyone had those issues, therefore per MacRumors regulars, the problem "didn't exist". :rolleyes:

Just like the horrible battery life I'm getting with Mountain Lion. Must just be my imagination. :D

But seriously...that was a complete cluster. I had no intention/desire of using ANY sort of case, but yeah, kind of hard to use your phone when the simple act of holding it reduced it to "No Signal".

Oh, wait, I forgot, it's because I was holding it wrong... :apple:

18. TrulyYuki macrumors 6502

TrulyYuki

I've noticed cases that were available the day of launch for a new designed iPhone sucked. Just be careful with your phone and buy a good case later.

19. jgayman thread starter macrumors member

The bumper was offered at iPhone 4 launch as a protective cover, before antennagate. I've dropped my phone countless times and the bumper is scared and marred but the phone remains unscathed.

I also preferred holding the phone with the bumper as it made it less slippery.

I know the bumper was silly and over priced but for me it was all the protection I needed and served the purpose well.

20. dagored macrumors 65816

If you say so, so be it.

21. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I ordered a bestskinsever.com back skin 5.94 for the back and band.
    And I ordered a Steinheil SGP Crystal (I had the Olephobic for my 4) film (which includes to films) for the screen for $17.24 shipped.

No case.

However, I'm sure Incase, Incipio, Belkin and a rather of other manufacturers will have cases available by next week. Just stop by your local bestbuy. Or Apple Store if you dare!

22. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Yeah, right. Apple knew the problems before launch. So, instead of a 2-week redesign, Apple spent those 2-weeks on creating a bumper.

Makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

23. joelom macrumors newbie

ill get clear film protection. cases are kind of lame. A lot of care went into the design. im not covering it. that chamfer is amazing.

24. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Anyone care to post links of some iphone 5 accessories?

25. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Leather

I am thinking i will finally pull the trigger on my Vaja case for this phone.