iPhone5-WiFi (No DataFees)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bheleu, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Bheleu macrumors 6502

In this day and age, WiFi access is available just about everywhere you go. This phone is not for those who demand constant data acess, but for those who use family plans that do not want to pay the rediculous data fees in the USA. It is also for those who want to utilize prepaid cellular plans. Its the same phone you love; however, it lacks Cellular Data. This permits it to have increased battery capacity and be able to be used on cellular plans without requiring a data plan.

Who all would be happy with an iPhone 5-WiFi?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

An iPhone that wasn't forced to get data? (Although I still would) Sure!

iPod touch + Skype is the next closest thing...

4. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

it's possible. my mom has been without a data plan on AT&T for over 2 years now, initially on my old 3G and currently on my old iphone 4.

1) I put her sim into a non-smartphone, called AT&T, then requested they put a "Data Block" on her line.

2) I popped her sim card into the iphone 3G --> no data! to be sure the phone didn't try to reach out for data, I disabled cellular data from within the phone too. AT&T supposedly scans their networks for smartphones without data plans, but they haven't caught us yet in 2+ years.

3) for the 3G -> 4, we just cut her existing sim into a microsim without hassle.

**note: since I always just gave her my old iphones, she never signed any 2 year contract -- not sure if getting data is required for that contract. maybe that's why they're not pestering us?