iPhones and price plans too expensive

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drjones2, Mar 5, 2013.

1. drjones2 macrumors newbie

Hello Mac community,

I just posted this on apple.com/feedback. Anyone else should too if you feel the same way:

iPhones and their monthly plans are too expensive. Period. I have everything else Apple you could imagine since the Apple IIe, but because I have not bought an iPhone since 2007 when they were introduced, I have saved $10,000 because I did not buy an iPhone and get locked into a monthly payment of roughly $100 a month for my wife and I. (I pay $15 every 3 months on Virgin Mobile since I work from home with a pay as you go plan) and that is a downpayment on a house! Please make the iPhone cheaper and the plans not plans but pay as you go instead of forced monthly payments. Sincerely, a true Apple fan.

BTW, this apple.com/feedback is the only true way to get heard at Apple

Macrumors forums replys?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Carrier plans are pretty much the same regardless of smartphone. Apple doesn't set plan prices.

I pay $55 month all in with 6GB data. Cheap older iPhones can be found on eBay, Craigslist, etc...

3. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

i think they are priced right, you have to take into account the resale value too

4. drjones2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know Apple doesn't set the plan prices, but at least they can make it available to pay as you go customers, like the billions in China and India, in the USA.

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

The iPhone is a well-built, quality product, hence the price. Sure, I'd like it to cost less, then again, I'd also like Ferrari's and Lamborghini's to cost less too.

And it's not Apple dictating the price of carrier plans, it's the carriers. And it's not just iPhones that are effected, it's all smartphones. All carriers (without straightalk and pay as you go deals) have only pricey options for voice, data and messaging. It's just the way it is.

Sounds like you need to look at less expensive phones and send your plan pricing complaints to the phone carriers.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I suspect this is largely a problem with the country you choose to live in. We have had PAYG iPhones here for ages.

7. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

yes... in the uk walk into apple store, buy phone, then get payg sim from any phone shop http://giffgaff.com/ being a popular one

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I remember when I was back on "dumb phones" I had a Motorola Razr. I told myself that I would never pay $100 a month for a phone. Then the iPhone came out and I had no problem paying for it. I bought it unsubsidized(the only way you could at first). I don't regret it and I think I get more than my monies worth.

9. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

Bring your own phone over to T-Mobile and get their $30 100 minute plan.

10. CEmajr macrumors 601

^This. Additionally you can also use the Tmobile pay as you go plan and only pay for the days you use it or pay in advance like you're doing on Virgin.

11. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Again, Apple has no control over the plan or which network will allow it. Complain to the carriers about it.

As for the phone itself, all Apple products are pricey, it's how they work.

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) You live in the US. We have the Gillette razor model of phones - buy a phone at a subsidized price and pay for the service plan. This is changing, albeit slowly. Not Apple's problem or fault.
    2) Buy an unlocked iPhone at full, unsubsidized price (like most of the rest of the world does - and you will still pay less than in other countries) and shop around for a plan.
    3) If the price of the iPhone is not worth it to you, then buy something else. Apple is not beholden to you...they are beholden to their stockholders and their business plan. It is considered a premium brand. However, there are rumors as to a cheaper iPhone coming.

This rant seems unbecoming from someone who is old enough to have been around in the days of the Apple ][e.

13. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

The plans are the same for all Smartphones. Phones that are subsidized in the US are also the same price. SGIII 16GB is $199, same as a iPhone 5 16GB.

Unlocked they are also similar, so not sure where you're getting your information from...?

14. Mrbobb, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

Mrbobb macrumors 601

Oh wait, I re-read the post, OP is bragging about his low monthly.

We know about pre-paids, it works for certain people. Consumers have choices. You are not suggesting the whole world follow your "discovery" do ya?

15. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 5 is only 200

16. 617aircav Suspended

How ignorant. The prices are set by the carriers and are the same for all smart phones.

17. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

For 200 you get

Email
    Internet Browser
    Text Messaging
    A Phone
    Camera
    GPS
    Calendar
    World Clock
    Note Pad
    Music Player
    Video Player
    Games

And more.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

True. Congrats OP for choosing what is best for you. For me, the price is worth it for all I can do with my iPhone.

19. 617aircav Suspended

OP are you saying that everybody work from their homes, just like you?

20. UTMAC macrumors newbie

If you don't like the price don't buy it. It's not Apple's decision on what a carrier does and offers for plans. You can't blame Ford for the price of gas.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Please Toyota, the gas prices are too expensive. Make them cheaper.
    I cant keep paying my monthly car payment and $60 at the pump every week.
    Where do I send them feedback?

22. jumpmanpro97 macrumors member

honestly if you can't afford it don't buy it. Too many people complain about things they can't afford. Maybe you need to upgrade your source of income or downgrade your expectations of your cell phone wants/needs.

23. hunterheath33 macrumors regular

Why don't you just buy an iPhone 4 or 4s from virgin mobile? The monthly price is only $35 per month for each phone and can lower to $30 if you set up auto billing. And the 4 is only $350 NO CONTRACT.

24. drjones2 thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right: This is the best option I found, closest to my needs, I am aware of this plan and "low cost" phone. (I say "low cost" because my current phone I got for $10 from Virgin Mobile - to me $10 is low cost, not $350) However, since I work at home I literally need only $15 EVERY 3 MONTHS! That's $60 for the whole year! Compared to only 2 months of $30 per month. I know I'm not like most people in this respect, but I basically want an iPod touch with an occasional iPhone. I would say I use the phone about once a week or two weeks, but I definitely need it, just so infrequently - like emergencies or once a week at the supermarket to call my wife.

I know Apple makes premium products, and I fully believe you get what you pay for, as I paid premium for all the Macs in my house, and I understand quality costs more, and I'm willing to pay for it. I say, yes, I'd pay $350 for the iPhone 4, but I still only want pay as you go $15 every 3 months, not $30 per month ($60/yr versus $360/yr) which is still not an option. So the problem is primarily on the carriers that they do not have a pay as you go option for the iPhone: I guess that is what I really want from the carriers, not really Apple's problem. But apparently, Apple is aware of pay as you go, and I am not the only one, because pay as you go is what China and India want, and I'm hoping the "low cost iPhone" rumored is pay as you go for the USA too.

Thanks for everyone's feedback! :)

25. coffeemadmanUK macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

I paid £49 ($74) for my iPhone 5 and pay £34 ($51) a month for unlimited data, 5,000 texts and 500 minutes.

I don't think that's too expensive in the slightest...