iPhones scan & go ... cause unemployment?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcman77, Aug 31, 2012.

1. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

Well we all know that unemployment rates have had better days....

as per title, do you guys think it's a good idea to get rid of all the cash till employees and replace them with an App? :eek:

this will bump unemployment figures won't it?

2. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Agreed. We should also protect all the buggy makers. That new dangled auto-mobile is a travesty.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am not sure I even understand where you are going with this. Replace all the cash till employees with an app? Is this an allusion to Wal-mart's self-checkout process or something? :confused:

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I mean, that works for me. It'll take out the retail jobs that require no experience, and give more jobs for software developers! (My field)

5. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, self checkout requires less staff. Why else would they do it? Minimise overheads.

Lol +1...only if. Instead it will maximise profits for shareholders, CEOs and other above the chain

6. racer1441 macrumors 68000

So, we should stop progress to turn businesses into charities?

7. irDigital0l Guest

You still need people to run the place...and not everyone has a smartphone or wants to use it to pay.

8. james92se macrumors 6502a

9. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

progress? .. for whose benefit

I can think of many other ways of truly progressing but those won't happen cause they are not profitable.

From a business point of view, you're right ... for the corporations yes it is progress.

10. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

They said that ATM machines would replace all the bank tellers too. Hmm. Didn't happen.

11. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Believe me. Not all of staffs work hard like they always do. As they have too many staffs in one store, some of them were gathering and chatting in a group to kill time. Especially the second floor where stuffs are on shelf.

12. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

a breathe of fresh air!

That is good to know...even though I imagine staff numbers have had a substantial drop from back in the day.

13. iEvolution macrumors 65816

As if you're field is somehow more important than other fields, get real.

Jobs that require more skill means more unemployment. There is more than just you in this world.

Besides, who builds your office, the road you drive to work, the traffic lights designed to keep you safe? no experience "losers" right?

Who checks out your items that you use on a daily basis so you can put food on the table for your family, work on your car, play video games, home improvement, etc? More no experience "losers" right?

Who makes your food at fast food joints, gets your food together for you? Put your drink in the cup? yup, more no experience "losers".

Who ships your products from their factory, takes your online orders and fills them?

You might not have called them losers out right but thats exactly what your text seems to imply. I think you need to realize that just because a job requires no experience doesn't make the people filling these positions any less important than your position. In fact, the bottom of the rung jobs are ultimately the foundation of a successful company. They might not make that much but that doesn't make them any less important.

OP I don't think these gimmicks are going to cause much if any loss of jobs, people are lazy and the methods to scan in merchandise is a little more ackward than throwing your items on a line and having the employees scan the stuff in for you.

Self check-outs are good if you have a few items (or if there is a long line)but if you buy a buttload of stuff I'd much rather have someone check them out for me. Perhaps that is just me.

14. ggmissmolly macrumors regular

Are y'all saying that we should not allow self check out apps because it might reduce jobs for cashiers? Please say you don't mean that!

Maybe it will suggest to kids that they might try to learn something in school so the only jobs available won't be cashiers. What do we do, put up a sign saying progress not allowed here? It can go beside the existing sign that says science expressly rejected here.

15. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Get your self-entitled ass out of here.

16. dontwalkhand, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

There are stores based entirely on self checkout (Fresh and Easy- Tesco's US chain) and places that have had self checkout for years and years.

More than likely at the most they get reassigned to a more "useful" job in the store. There will always need to be shelves to be fully stocked, and customers with questions. So the paying process may be automated, but there also has to be someone watching over the self checkouts.

A lot of cashiers seem to hate their job and man handle all of my groceries. Not a problem anymore with self checkout, I bag them how I want.

Also why not re-hire elevator operators and phone operators while we're at it? All in the name of progress people. So people have to be a little more independent and have to use their noodle a bit....

17. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Unexpected item in the bagging area!

18. cynics macrumors G4

Other people using them is the annoying part. I've said something like this multiple times, "S***, this old person has a bag of celery. Let's find a new line."

They need to offer classes to the elderly!!!

19. racer1441 macrumors 68000

So, to my first point, that was a joke, should we have protected buggy makers when cars came out?

20. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

This is a double edged sword here. Companies need to cut back due to rising fuel, health, and other costs so they come out with this stuff. This stuff does mean less people are needed, but now these people are unemployed and can't buy things. People are spending less due to unemployment, companies sells less, and then lay off people. And the cycle continues.
    Loot at ATM's, and I bet the OP used them a lot and never thought how the bank tellers got laid off because people use ATM's more.

If I go to a store and buy 3 things or less, I do sometimes use the self check out. Buying anymore stuff I think is a pain and just use the normal lines.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I love them. I use them, especially at my grocery store, when ever I can.

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I absolutely hate them. Inevitably something goes wrong and I have to wait for a human anyway. Would prefer just to do the traditional buying at a cashier. I think scan-and-go is going to increase shoplifting and therefore suspicion, so we'll get hassled by store rent-a-cops more.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think it could speed things up at Walmarts where you have very long lines at the registers with slow cashiers etc...
    I doubt it can ever replace real staff crew members but it is an improvement to give buyers more options for a speedier checkout.
    I dont think we should see advancements in technology as a cause for the high unemployment levels.
    We got the banks and financial institutions to blame for that economic collapse.

24. james92se macrumors 6502a

Exactly. There is without fail one at least one item everytime that either requires a worker to override something, enter some code, etc. If that doesn't happen, you get the "please place your item in the bagging area" even when you already HAVE placed your item in the bagging area. It's always something.

I've noticed they usually have one human worker assigned to each little cluster of four self checkout deals. Inevitably, the worker more often than not has to end up assisting each of the 4 self check outs anyway. And of course at the precise moment you need the human worker at your machine, said worker is helping one of the other self-checkout-ers so you're just sitting there twiddling your thumbs. So it makes you wonder if it would have been at least as effective to just have that worker be a typical cashier and just have those 4 people in line. I'm betting it would be.

I'm usually all for "innovations" that require less customer/staff interaction. For example I love being able to order a pizza from an app on my iPhone and pick it up without ever having to deal with some idiot on the phone. But making me scan and bag all my own groceries - especially given that it still frequently requires waiting on a human employee and is all around frustrating - no thanks.

Thankfully, there is actually a trend now to REMOVE all self checkouts from retail outlets. Not only is the usage rate way down from just a few years ago, but most shoppers as a whole just flat don't like them (of which I am one). And they're finding that -shocker- people like people. Several large grocery chains (Albertsons and Big Y for example) have actually eliminated or are in the process of eliminating all self checkouts and I suspect others will follow.

I reaaaaaaally wish Home Depot would get rid of them. It seems like only about 10% of their items are recognized by the self checkout machines.

25. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

That part was never unclear to me. Your post was all over the place and downright confusing. That is what the :confused: was for. :)