iPhones Updates

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amym4530, Aug 20, 2012.

1. amym4530 macrumors newbie

i'm with Virgin and i had purchaced an iPhone locked to Rogers (told it was unlocked but hey! that's life). It's currently 5.1.1. Had some creepy guy in a mall put a Gevey Sim in i think it was Ultra S. He also intalled the unlockit.co.nz APN so i have data. So my question is, when updates become available to 5.1.1, is there any way i am able to download updates? I was told i can't update it ever! Can i jailbreak it or something with a gevey sim so i dont have to use the sim anymore then maybe updates can ten be done? im not too skilled when it comes to this! any comments would be great. :confused:

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I'm not sure if this would work, but i'm sure others can confirm. What if he paid another one of those companies that unlock phones for you? Would it then work by just popping a SIM in?

3. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

You cannot upgrade past 5.1.1 with your Gevey.

Not sure which iPhone you have? 4 or 4S? The 4S can only be unlocked on 5.1.1 with the Gevey.

I would sell the Rogers locked phone and get a Bell or Virgin locked iPhone. (A Bell locked iPhone will work with Virgin Mobile in Canada.)

4. amym4530 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry yeah it's 4S, i passed the 'Sim not recognized' screen and updated before i brought it into the guy to unlock it. And yeah haha i wish i knew before i had opened it and stuff i would have done that

5. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

I have a Gevey, but Im running iOS 6 BETA and have not tried the Gevey SIM yet to see if it would work.

I only use my Gevey for the US and I do find it to be a pain. I cannot use FaceTime or iMessage at all. Will be buying an unlocked iPhone 5 :)