iPhoto '08: How to store and move older photos to an external HDD, repeatedly?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jax46, Apr 4, 2010.

1. jax46 macrumors newbie

Currently I have one an external hard drive that backs up with Time Machine. And, I just bought an OWC Mercury Elite-Al Pro 500 GB external hard drive, I am planning to use this one to store files on so that I can free up space on my hard drive. I have about 9500 photos in my iPhoto library, I want to move about 8500 on to the EHD, while keeping my most recent photos on my internal HD. Similarly, I want to be able to upload new photos from camera onto my internal HD, and then as time goes on and my photos become more numerous I would like to move older photos to the EHD.

What is the easiest (as I am not very computer savvy) and safest (as I don't want to lose any pictures!) way to accomplish this?

Thank You!

(I have a Macbook (Mac OS X) and I use iPhoto 08)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

iPhoto '08 uses one big iPhoto Library file stored in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Pictures / iPhoto, which contains all the photos, so moving some of the images out of there might not be the best option.
    What about getting a bigger internal HDD?

Or using multiple libraries, sorted/created by month?

Have you found any threads via MRoogle?

And a more specific thread title could help cater to the right audience, example:
    iPhoto '08: How to store and move older photos to an external HDD, repeatedly?