iPhoto 09 -I deleted some photos but they're still showing in library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Imola Ghost, May 17, 2009.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I've deleted some photos in iPhoto 09 but they're still showing in my iPhoto library. How do I rebuild or reload the library without loosing all the work I've done in Faces and what not?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

How did you "delete?" If you dragged images from the viewer window into the Trash icon in the Dock, you exported images into the Trash. To actually delete items from the iPhoto application you highlight the images, go to the Photos menu, select Move images to Trash, and then from the iPhoto menu, Empty [the] iPhoto Trash.

3. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I have my pictures stored in a folder that I created called "My Pictures" and imported that library into iPhoto.

Now what I've done is went into "My Pictures" [the folder I created to store my photos] and deleted some that I don't want and arranged some into folders.

I found this article but was afraid to do anything until I found out whether or not I would lose my work I've done in Faces.

http://www.macyourself.com/2008/10/...library-to-fix-common-errors-or-missing-pics/

4. coronel mustard macrumors member

coronel mustard

Yup- you need to delete the photo from within the application (iphoto) because, i think iphoto makes a copy of the original file anyway- incase you screw it up and want to revert to it

5. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

It really depends on whether you have iPhoto referencing your original images, or copy them to its own library.

By default, I believe it copies - in this case, the idea is to import to iPhoto, from a camera or another folder (or whatever), then delete them from the camera or delete the folder.

From then on, always do your management of those files from within iPhoto. Let go, and let iPhoto do the management.

If your iPhoto is set to 'reference', then deleting from the source file directly (without using iPhoto), will cause iPhoto to lose them. This is bad.

So first thing is to check whether you have them refencing or copying to iPhoto Library (check preferences and whether 'copy to iPhoto Library' is checked or not. If it is, then the folder you created for "My Pictures" is redundant.

6. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm still not completely decided whether I want to let iPhoto reference my photos or copy them.

What do you guys do?

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I let iPhoto copy them. I then use iPhoto as my picture library, and use the Pictures folder in Finder for reference (eg. copying them to discs, external HDDs, etc). Plus, if I accidentally delete something from Finder (if I'm deleting multiple pictures and select one I didn't actually want to delete), I can easily find it in iPhoto and re-export it into the folder.

8. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

So basically iPhoto acts just like iTunes but for photos? I think I may be alright letting iphoto manage my photos but I could never let itunes organize my music [over 130gb] which I've spent numerous hours tagging and organizing.

Let me ask you this...

When you have new photos you want to put on your Mac. Do you copy/paste them into a certain folder that you created or do you copy/paste them into the folder that iPhoto made located inside of the "Pictures" folder?

9. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I export them straight into iPhoto, create an event, and then export them into my Pictures folder in Finder.

10. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Pretty much. iPhoto is 'better' in that it hides the folder structure so people don't mess with it, perhaps because so much more is at stake if you do.

The question you're asking is the same posed, in a way. If you have iPhoto 'copy on import', it would put them into the iPhoto Library. Otherwise you can have iPhoto reference them. In my opinion, NOTHING good comes from referencing. At any rate, why would you copy paste your photos at all? Just let iPhoto handle it, and you're done.

Let me ask you this: Why do you need to let iPhoto, or iTunes for that matter, organise your files. What is wrong with the structure for iTunes? Personally, I let go of organising, as I never need to look at the file structure - I can find everything I need through iTunes. iTunes can put all the music into one folder for all I care.

I guess the only time it matters is if you don't use iPhoto or iTunes, but given that one would, I always suggest importing to the library by copying.

Ivan P: Why on earth would you copy the photos once imported into iPhoto?