iPhoto '09 to '11 or iPhoto '09 to Aperture3?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bzollinger, Jan 6, 2011.

?

What would or have you done?

1. Stay with iPhoto '09

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Upgrade to iPhoto '11

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  3. Upgrate to Aperture 3

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bzollinger, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011

bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

What would you do? Stay with iPhoto '09, upgrade to '11, or purchase Aperture3?

This would be primarily for my wife to manage our PS camera shots, email, slideshows, basic editing, etc.

I use (and love) LR3 for all my RAW photography work.

How well does A3 replace iPhoto? What is missing, what (besides the obvious) is much better?

Any feedback and input would help.

thanks,
    BZ

2. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

No opinions or experiences to share? I thought with iPhoto '11 out today for $15 and Aperture 3 for $80 in the store this would be a well timed post...

3. DerfBWH macrumors regular

Stick with iPhoto '09. The "upgrade" to '11 is actually a downgrade, and unless you absolutely need any of the professional tools Aperture offers I'd say that it'd be a pointless upgrade, considering iPhoto has a much more manageable and logical UI.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

5. rezatayebi macrumors regular

iPhoto 11 is kind of sluggish compared to iphoto 09. So as said before, don`t go iphoto 11 at this point.

6. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Okay, thanks for the info. I'll skip the new version of iPhoto. I'll talk to the wife and see if she wants/needs any more control of her photos, if so maybe we'll jump to A3 since the price is such a deal now!

7. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I'm trying out the free 30 day trial of Aperture, then I'll decide. I'm not sure if I need the advanced features, but I'm not going to iPhoto 11...based on everything I've read about it.

8. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

This from a photographer: if you're using an SLR and want to get into photography get Aperture3, it's amazing. However, if you just want to take photos and organize them, iPhoto is ideal for a non-pro.

A friend of mine insisted on getting Aperture and now she's overwhelmed by her photo library. Aperture organizes in projects which is designed for a professional photographer's workflow. iPhoto does a brilliant job of keeping photos organized by event, in a linear timeline. This works best if you're just keeping track of your life in photos.

9. kwfergy macrumors newbie

Can you just assume a project in Aperture is just like an event in iPhoto? Also, does anyone know if the 79.99 is an introductory price for Aperture, or is it going to stay that price?

10. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

I assume the 79.99 is simply the Mac App Store price since it doesn't mention anywhere being on sale for that much. But I could be wrong. However, I would be surprised if the price jumped with no warning.

Try the Aperture free trial if you want to see what it's like :)

11. kwfergy macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply. I thought about the free trial, but if I get it, will I have to delete it before I buy the full version from the App Store?

12. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

No worries. That's a good question: since the trial currently demands a serial code to make it work, and buying it from the Mac App Store would give you no serial code, I think you would need to redownload it.

But you wouldn't have to delete anything. On a Mac, all your personal files are saved in your user folder rather than in the App itself (as is the case on an iPhone). This means that you can update and alter the App without affecting your data. So you could buy the App from the MAS and it would probably be fine

13. kwfergy macrumors newbie

Very good information. Thank you very much.

14. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

:) it seems like a pretty good App to me. Far better than iPhoto. It allows for so much more flexibility, particularly in how photos are stored.