iPhoto 4.0.3 Now Available

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Aug 5, 2004.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

iPhoto version 4.0.3 is now available via Software Update or download:
    iPhoto 4.0.3 addresses minor issues with Smart Albums and European books, and provides notification when new versions of iPhoto are available.​
    This description is the same as that for iPhoto version 4.0.2, which was pulled from Software Update on August 3rd without explanation.

2. Porchland macrumors 65816

Porchland

Glad to see Apple get this little snaggle behind them.

3. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

I think I will give this one a bit of time before installing :D

On second thoughts it might fix the "flaw" that was in 4.0.2

4. crzyltlman macrumors newbie

Glad they fixed it, whatever it was. Unless this one gets pulled tomorrow. But no new explanation? C'mon. Not a good step towards their goal of improved customer communication.

I can't figure out whether to vote this positive or negative. I'll leave it neutral, I guess.

5. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Would have been nice to get an explanation, but at least it was quite quick.

6. macridah macrumors 6502a

macridah

7. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

Here goes nothing since I already had 4.0.2. ;-) Downloading now. Installed.

It did upgrade my Photo Library. 4H2 is the version.

Edit:
    I don't see anything in the new version...I upgraded two machines (dual 64/800, and 17 1.5 PB) now without problems.

8. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

Apple also notes that if you ever speak of the iPhoto 4.0.2 release, your mac will be taken away from you, and you will be locked in the dungeon in Cupertino.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Wow, 7.1 MB, they must've really screwed up 4.0.2 for the 4.0.3 updater to be that big! :eek:

10. parenthesis macrumors member

I find it interesting that 4.0.2 continues to say "Version 4.0.2 is the latest version." Maybe Apple fixed the update portion?

11. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

I'll wager that this is a second update to 4.0.1, not an update to 4.0.2.

12. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Apple is really horrible at admitting to security flaws and software problems... this is a primo example... them not saying what was fixed in the 4.02 release.

13. jkhanson macrumors member

Photo library upgrade may be required

I ran the 4.0.3 updater (I had already done the 4.0.2 update before it was pulled) then launched iPhoto. It gave me a dialogue window saying that my iPhoto library needed to be upgraded (with options for Upgrade or Quit). I decided to quit first and make a backup copy of my library.

Ran iPhoto again and let it upgrade my library. Everything seems fine. The only difference that I noticed was that the program quits more rapidly than 4.0.2, which had seemed much slower than earlier versions.

14. xtbfx macrumors regular

xtbfx

One thing I noticed as a difference between 4.0.2 and 4.0.3 is that 4.0.3 asked me to upgrade my iPhoto library.

But that's about it. Works just the same as it always has.

15. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

16. jrober macrumors regular

jrober

Ditto

4.0.3 running fine just like 4.0.2 on my Panther Powerbook

Speaking of upgrade errors, does anyone have any experience of the last security update for Jaguar causing "app has unexpectedly quit" errors when trying to start an app after 2-3 days of constantly running machine?

My iMac G3 is behaving strangely after the last set of sw upgrades were installed.

John

17. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

it probably only affected one type of mac like that developers seed of 10.3.4 that screwed up 20" imacs

18. kalashnicov macrumors newbie

a guy on versiontracker said it took 16 seconds to shut down iPhoto 4.0.2 with his PMG5 dual 2 Ghz

4.0.3 fixed this

19. johnnowak macrumors 6502

They probably just fixed a minor bug.. and they did it so well that if you weren't on macrumors, you'd not of even noticed that they pulled anything. This is how stuff is SUPPOSED to work. Why the hell are you complaining?

20. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I'm complaining because Apple has a ****ty history of not publishing what fixes do... isn't that what I said in my post? duh...

21. manu chao macrumors 603

Maybe 4.0.2 simply wasn't updating the library (in essence the library files i.e.: iPhoto.db, AlbumData.xml, Dir.data and Library.iPhoto plus the album files). Could somebody who hasn't yet installed 4.0.3 check whether these files were updated (modification date) by the 4.0.2 installer?

22. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

23. youngr40 macrumors member

youngr40

The only difference I have noticed is there is now a Check for Updates option from the iPhoto Menu, as well as option in the preferences.

As a note my update is on 5.9MB and it was with 4.0.2

24. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Oh no! My computer started making waffles after this update! Sounds like a good feature to me. :)

Actually no real change. It closes a lot faster now. I had 4.0.2 installed and when I went to run 4.0.3 it had to update my thumbnails which took about a minute (1.5 gigs of photos).

Everything looks good. Only difference I notice is it closes when I tell it to instead of 20 seconds later.

25. djdarlek macrumors regular

ok manu here we go...

iPhoto.db - modified 3rd August 2004
    AlbumData.xml - modified Today
    Dir.data - modified 17th June 2004
    Library.iPhoto - modified 17th June 2004

Don't know what this proves to u but hope it helps :D

I do find it highly amusing that the auto-update thingie in Version 4.0.2 doesn't work.. that MUST be one of the reasons Apple pulled it.. you would've thought they'd test that kinda thing first ;)