iPhoto 4.0.3 Now Available

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
iPhoto version 4.0.3 is now available via Software Update or download:
iPhoto 4.0.3 addresses minor issues with Smart Albums and European books, and provides notification when new versions of iPhoto are available.​
This description is the same as that for iPhoto version 4.0.2, which was pulled from Software Update on August 3rd without explanation.

crzyltlman

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2004
Glad they fixed it, whatever it was. Unless this one gets pulled tomorrow. But no new explanation? C'mon. Not a good step towards their goal of improved customer communication.

I can't figure out whether to vote this positive or negative. I'll leave it neutral, I guess.

centauratlas

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Macrumors said:
iPhoto version 4.0.3 is now available via Software Update:<p class="quote"]iPhoto 4.0.3 addresses minor issues with Smart Albums and European books, and provides notification when new versions of iPhoto are available..</p>
This description is the same as that for iPhoto version 4.0.2, which was pulled from Software Update on August 3rd without explanation.
Here goes nothing since I already had 4.0.2. ;-) Downloading now. Installed.

It did upgrade my Photo Library. 4H2 is the version.

Edit:
I don't see anything in the new version...I upgraded two machines (dual 64/800, and 17 1.5 PB) now without problems.

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
Los Angeles
Apple also notes that if you ever speak of the iPhoto 4.0.2 release, your mac will be taken away from you, and you will be locked in the dungeon in Cupertino.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Apple is really horrible at admitting to security flaws and software problems... this is a primo example... them not saying what was fixed in the 4.02 release.

jkhanson

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Photo library upgrade may be required

I ran the 4.0.3 updater (I had already done the 4.0.2 update before it was pulled) then launched iPhoto. It gave me a dialogue window saying that my iPhoto library needed to be upgraded (with options for Upgrade or Quit). I decided to quit first and make a backup copy of my library.

Ran iPhoto again and let it upgrade my library. Everything seems fine. The only difference that I noticed was that the program quits more rapidly than 4.0.2, which had seemed much slower than earlier versions.

xtbfx

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2003
One thing I noticed as a difference between 4.0.2 and 4.0.3 is that 4.0.3 asked me to upgrade my iPhoto library.

But that's about it. Works just the same as it always has.

jrober

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2003
Heathfield, UK
Ditto

4.0.3 running fine just like 4.0.2 on my Panther Powerbook

Speaking of upgrade errors, does anyone have any experience of the last security update for Jaguar causing "app has unexpectedly quit" errors when trying to start an app after 2-3 days of constantly running machine?

My iMac G3 is behaving strangely after the last set of sw upgrades were installed.

John

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
it probably only affected one type of mac like that developers seed of 10.3.4 that screwed up 20" imacs

kalashnicov

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2003
a guy on versiontracker said it took 16 seconds to shut down iPhoto 4.0.2 with his PMG5 dual 2 Ghz

4.0.3 fixed this

johnnowak

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2003
New York, New York
ZildjianKX said:
Apple is really horrible at admitting to security flaws and software problems... this is a primo example... them not saying what was fixed in the 4.02 release.
They probably just fixed a minor bug.. and they did it so well that if you weren't on macrumors, you'd not of even noticed that they pulled anything. This is how stuff is SUPPOSED to work. Why the hell are you complaining?

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
johnnowak said:
They probably just fixed a minor bug.. and they did it so well that if you weren't on macrumors, you'd not of even noticed that they pulled anything. This is how stuff is SUPPOSED to work. Why the hell are you complaining?
I'm complaining because Apple has a ****ty history of not publishing what fixes do... isn't that what I said in my post? duh...

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Maybe 4.0.2 simply wasn't updating the library (in essence the library files i.e.: iPhoto.db, AlbumData.xml, Dir.data and Library.iPhoto plus the album files). Could somebody who hasn't yet installed 4.0.3 check whether these files were updated (modification date) by the 4.0.2 installer?

youngr40

macrumors member
May 23, 2003
UK
The only difference I have noticed is there is now a Check for Updates option from the iPhoto Menu, as well as option in the preferences.

As a note my update is on 5.9MB and it was with 4.0.2

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Oh no! My computer started making waffles after this update! Sounds like a good feature to me. :)

Actually no real change. It closes a lot faster now. I had 4.0.2 installed and when I went to run 4.0.3 it had to update my thumbnails which took about a minute (1.5 gigs of photos).

Everything looks good. Only difference I notice is it closes when I tell it to instead of 20 seconds later.

djdarlek

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2003
manu chao said:
Maybe 4.0.2 simply wasn't updating the library (in essence the library files i.e.: iPhoto.db, AlbumData.xml, Dir.data and Library.iPhoto plus the album files). Could somebody who hasn't yet installed 4.0.3 check whether these files were updated (modification date) by the 4.0.2 installer?
ok manu here we go...

iPhoto.db - modified 3rd August 2004
AlbumData.xml - modified Today
Dir.data - modified 17th June 2004
Library.iPhoto - modified 17th June 2004

Don't know what this proves to u but hope it helps :D

I do find it highly amusing that the auto-update thingie in Version 4.0.2 doesn't work.. that MUST be one of the reasons Apple pulled it.. you would've thought they'd test that kinda thing first ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.