Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Well I am not so happy to find out that my 2 GB of pictures have been "deleted" when I put my pictures into an iPhoto folder. What I wanted to do was put them in iPhoto so I could make use of it and see the thumbnails instead of opening them up in Preview. I just recently reinstalled Panther and I backed them up on my iPod but I deleted them after they were transfered.
What I did exactly was put them into the iPhoto Library folder and then moved them to the Albums folder. I have made it so I can see hidden files, nothing. And I recall my Hard Drive space at 34 GB left and now it is 36 GB. (Not positive) Does anyone know if my pictures are totally gone? Or how I can get them back? Thanks...

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
wait... what did you do?

from what i understand is that you had them in a folder somewhere on your hard drive. you then copied that folder to your ipod and then did a clean install of panther. now that you have that all installed you just copied the folder from your ipod to ~/Photos/iPhoto Library/Albums/ ...

by putting them there, they did not import into iPhoto. have you looked through the finder into that folder to see if they are there, or are you just opening iPhoto? in order to import them into iPhoto, you either need to drag them all in or select Import from the File menu.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Sorry.
What I did:
1) Backed up the folder with my pictures on my iPod
2) Did a clean install of Panther
3) Loaded the pictures back to the location they were in before

Then, today somebody wanted me to send them a picture of something. So, since I didn't want to open every file, I thought I would look at them through iPhoto. So I thought by putting them in the folder you mentioned would work. First into the iPhoto Library folder and then the Albums folder. Well, it didn't, but rather deleted all the pictures and the folder. Is that a bit clearer for you? Thanks.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
just putting them in that folder won't work...
you need to drag the folder with all the pictures on to the iphoto window to import them. iphoto has some sort of index it needs to add the pictures to. so dragging them into the iphoto program (as mnkeybusness said ;) ) should do the trick...

reality

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
The problem is I deleted them off my iPod so I don't have the pictures! They just vanished! I was going to try that next if what I tried first didn't work... What I am wondering is how I get them back. Maybe iPhoto can find them... I haven't tried that. I'll go do it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.