Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
When I import photos that are black and white out of the camera, they show up in iPhoto in color. I hate this. How do I get the black and white photos to actually be black and white in iPhoto? Why the hell does it convert them into color in the first place?

CameronT

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
When I import photos that are black and white out of the camera, they show up in iPhoto in color. I hate this. How do I get the black and white photos to actually be black and white in iPhoto? Why the hell does it convert them into color in the first place?

Not knowing what type of camera you have - I'm going to assume that the camera is just storing an indication in the picture's metadata somewhere that the picture should be black and white. I'm guessing again that iPhoto isn't seeing this metadata.

Not a problem however - If you edit the photo in iPhoto and choose Effects - there's a black & white choice.

While this extra step may seem like a pain - it actually lets you look at the picture in the computer in both b&w and color - you don't lose any data (the color data). This is a good thing - it also allows you to tweak the b&w photo.

Check here for some tips on black and white conversions in iPhoto - http://www.macilife.com/2005/06/tips-for-better-black-and-white.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.